Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR Transmission Acting Up Sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MR Transmission Acting Up Sometimes...

Hi All,

So quick background so you understand my situation. I bought an Evo 9 MR. Don't know exactly how previous owner drove but most definitely AutoX/tracked it. Clutch was basically shot when I got it at 28,XXX mi. I put a Comp stage 2 clutch and comp light flywheel on at about 30k.

I am now at 50K but the clutch has never really been quite right since. Very sure everything was installed properly. I adjusted the clutch pedal as per jacks transmissions videos by using the master cylinder to get it right.

Issues:
1. Sometimes the car grabs early as I am releasing clutch (also makes a moan when this happens)
If I let out the clutch in neutral and depress it again it usually makes the moan and early catch go away.

2. Definitely worse when cold but still notchy after warm or in summer.

3. If I park on a hill or not perfectly level surface the car may STRUGGLE to go into gear. I can wait for it to get more warm and go into 3rd then into first/reverse

In attempt to fix or postpone this issue I have done shifter base and under hood bushings. I have flushed all brake fluid from master cylinder and brake lines. I think the clutch is dragging but I haven't used my tactrix to get rid of the rev limiter while the clutch is in to test out that part of checking for clutch drag. My friend whose a great mechanic thinks its the synchros but I didn't go in depth explaining the issue like this. My wonder is, is it something simple? Why is it only happening sometimes? Its notchy everyday but sometimes is also perfect even when cold if I am on a level surface.

I plan on rebuilding the trans and putting whatever money it takes into it but I will have to wait till the summer because it is my daily and I don't have my back up yet.

I appreciate any and all input. Sorry for the big post. Just trying to make it easier to pin point.

***EDIT: Also pops out of first when I shift while driving spirited

Last edited by mikebuff35; Feb 16, 2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Do you know what trans fluid is in the car? I'd would recommend diaqueen and believe most people would stay stick to that for the 6 speed trans. I also have a 6 speed trans with a comp stage 2 clutch and oem flywheel. My car shifts smoothly just hard to get into reverse when cold. I have 111,000 miles making around 350whp using diaqueen trans fluid exclusively.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 05:34 PM

I have diaqueen as trans oil. I did the 30k maintenance myself right when I got the car and I used all OEM fluids. I too am at about 350whp.

My other thoughts are possibly getting a new clutch cable. I am just unsure what all I should be trying to do. Can you tell if the clutch is dragging by looking up through the monoloc collar hole ?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 06:07 PM

Bump
Old Feb 18, 2016, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The clutch is hydraulic, not cable operated.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check your under hood Shifter Bushing for slop...this can happen with both Stock and After market bushings. Also Bleed that Clutch Slave/Master cylinder to make sure it is good.

Now if those were bad or damaged from possible past abuse, this could be indications that damage might have incurred in the transmission also.

A rebuild or replacement might be the solution if the bushings and a Clutch bleed do not immediately help.

Clutch Bleed
http://www.teamrip.com/how_to_proper...utch_info.html

Bad Bushings

Last edited by BiFfMaN; Feb 21, 2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:20 AM

Thanks. It's cheap enough I'll try bleeding the master cylinder again. I'll check the bushings. It's been 1.5 years since I added the bushings.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
For your first issue where you said it catches early sometimes. I'm assuming normally it catches high and then once in a blue moon catches early? If so I had that issue on my clutch when it was on it's way out. I would start to release the clutch and once in a while it would catch very very early (normally catches very high) and then suddenly it would start catching in the normal spot. My clutch was riding on the rivets and my throw out bearing gave out.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:09 AM

You are correct. No offense, I hope you are wrong lol. Considering the clutch has 20k on it I'd be pretty upset. I am going to try everything I can before rebuilding.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt but there was a nice chunk of negative feedback on compstage 2 clutches. A lot of them said the clutch didn't like to be slipped at all or the clutch would burn/smell. Burning that clutch and pretty much any clutch with a lot of burning will wear it down. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...mp-clutch.html

But if you're refreshing your transmission up sometime in the future might as well replace the clutch while it's down unless it has a lot of material left on it.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:11 PM

Well. I can agree with that. I never saw that but I read so many positives and negatives on everything, I just decided to go with the stage 2.

Agreed though I will most likely go for a new clutch because the car will be down for quite some time anyway. And of course the transmission will be off.

I want to get something that can handle serious power because after the tranny rebuild I have big plans.