Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Self-Built oil pan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The FP recommended oils aren't a "trend". They simply recommend/require a high ZDDP content oil for their journal bearing Evo turbos.
Yeah and happens if you don't? Exactly they will not rebuild your turbo under warrenty and you have to pay for it out of pocket. I can choose what ever oil I want and it is going to be the same either way. Don't get me wrong having high zinc content is the way to go don't get me wrong. I just choose to use whatever type of oil I want and what is funny Schaffers isn't even on that list and it has way more zinc then Brad Penn and it is much better oil by far. I don't want to thread jack this about oil or anything but I am just saying.

Originally Posted by kaj
I'm not sure I'd consider my turbo or oil a "trend" but I know what you are saying. If you saw my car "following trends" isn't really a term that would come to mind.
And i feel your pain on oil changes. I use damned near 7qts @ $10+ a pop. Thank God I don't race every weekend LOL
LOL and here I thought you were a poster child for trend lol. Yeah not fun when oil changes cost you 100 bones a crack. Good thing I invested in a Magnus oil filter lol. Clean it out put it back in done. 80 bucks well spent
Old Sep 26, 2016, 02:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Yeah and happens if you don't? Exactly they will not rebuild your turbo under warrenty and you have to pay for it out of pocket. I can choose what ever oil I want and it is going to be the same either way. Don't get me wrong having high zinc content is the way to go don't get me wrong. I just choose to use whatever type of oil I want and what is funny Schaffers isn't even on that list and it has way more zinc then Brad Penn and it is much better oil by far. I don't want to thread jack this about oil or anything but I am just saying.

LOL and here I thought you were a poster child for trend lol. Yeah not fun when oil changes cost you 100 bones a crack. Good thing I invested in a Magnus oil filter lol. Clean it out put it back in done. 80 bucks well spent
They actually don't say that in their article on it. They do say to use a racing oil. So, I'm sure if you have a failure and you can show that you were running a proper oil, there wouldn't be an issue with a warranty claim. The oils they list are only recommended.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Sep 26, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 02:13 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I'm also not getting started on another oil thread. Everyone knows everything already. Dead horse.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you have a picture with it installed on the car
Old Nov 19, 2016, 09:20 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by lonestarr20
Do you have a picture with it installed on the car
I do, on my laptop. I'll post some asap. Hard to see without being on a lift, though. It clears all oem parts, in case you're wondering.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Pm some pics to me, I like that you aren't afraid to experiment, I'm very much the same way.
I don't like when your trying to help someone or a group to improve on something and the group is picking you apart, oil pressure logs, temperature logs, prove this, prove that, like your a friggin scientist or something.
Anyway, I'm down for more capacity, let me know, I'm in LA.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 05:23 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by lonestarr20
Pm some pics to me, I like that you aren't afraid to experiment, I'm very much the same way.
I don't like when your trying to help someone or a group to improve on something and the group is picking you apart, oil pressure logs, temperature logs, prove this, prove that, like your a friggin scientist or something.
Anyway, I'm down for more capacity, let me know, I'm in LA.
I understand their points. I'm not AMS, RaceFab, or MOROSO, so I gotta prove mine works LOL.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I understand their points. I'm not AMS, RaceFab, or MOROSO, so I gotta prove mine works LOL.
I don't always test parts for others, but when I do, I prefer data. Stay curious my friends.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 08:33 PM
kaj

But you had logs and other results before you bought yours, yes? Or they gave you one for free/discount so you could test and post results?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 03:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Just like I was on the fence about a Racefeb until Balrok bought one and posted results. Just like I am on the fence about yours, $500 is a lot of cash for an unproven part. We actually know the AMS/Moroso pan does NOT work for road course racing, so no one should be buying that one.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
But you had logs and other results before you bought yours, yes? Or they gave you one for free/discount so you could test and post results?
I didn't have any logs on RF's parts at all, but I did from OEM and AMS. I simply did all the research and spoke with the owner to firm my decision. My postings were cause I like to share with the community when I find something that works well. The data did all the talking for it. I'll likely have to work out a deal when I go drysump however.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 06:07 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Just like I was on the fence about a Racefeb until Balrok bought one and posted results. Just like I am on the fence about yours, $500 is a lot of cash for an unproven part. We actually know the AMS/Moroso pan does NOT work for road course racing, so no one should be buying that one.
True. I didn't know if mine would work either. And yes: I was weary about spending so much. I would have paid $500 just to get a pan with a bigger sump, whether the trap doors worked or not. To me, that's worth not dealing with the lack of oil OEM holds. For a turbo car, the OEM sump is way, way too small, IMO.
As for the trap doors and other baffling, it can only help. I don't see myself getting to a road course soon (i'm at full pressure at every autox i've done, despite Gs or weather; but not that same, IMO), so I'm okay with keeping this bit to myself. It really is a lot of trouble to get one out for someone else, and (like i said 10x before) i'm lazy LOL. I was just trying to give people options. Or not.

It sounds like I'm trying to sell a pan. I'm honestly not. Just justifying my spending $500 LOL

Originally Posted by Balrok
I didn't have any logs on RF's parts at all, but I did from OEM and AMS. I simply did all the research and spoke with the owner to firm my decision. My postings were cause I like to share with the community when I find something that works well. The data did all the talking for it. I'll likely have to work out a deal when I go drysump however.
mmmmm.... dry sump......
Old Jan 22, 2017, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone else interested in a track usable product? There are 2 ready to commit, so we just need at least 1 more
Old May 17, 2017, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone else want to get in on this awesome engine saving oil pan? We have 2 ready to commit, need one more person to make this happen.
Old May 17, 2017, 04:12 PM
kaj

Always two....never three LOL.

Quick Reply: Self-Built oil pan