Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Starter shield won't fit over replacement starter

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter shield won't fit over replacement starter

My 06 MR has 145K miles on it, and the original starter finally quit after a week of slow starts.
I searched for a remanufactured replacement starter at local stores, and found the Ultima 19405 at O'Reilly's, which their system says fits, which I found out is mostly true.

I had no issues removing the OEM starter, even with the downpipe on, since it could rotate just enough to wiggle free.

When installing the new starter, I had to remove the two bolts holding the downpipe to the O2 housing, to give it more room to be installed. I didn't remove the downpipe from it's hangers or remove the cross members. The downpipe just had to shift towards the passenger side a few mm.

This replacement starter has longer studs on the end, for the starter shield, so they contributed to the need for more room.

I had two issues with the install:
1. The quick connect tab for the starter signal connector was straight, so I had to bend it 90° to point up like the one on the OEM starter.
2. The new starter has the two shield-mounting studs in positions that are significantly clocked from the stock positions (which don't match the image on the vendor's website) and these prevent the starter shield from fitting. I will have to modify the shield by drilling two new holes.

Should I be very concerned with driving without the starter shield for a week, or indefinitely, whether the weather stays dry or if it rains?

The attached photos show the 19405 starter installed.

This installation was much easier than the Mishimoto radiator I put on two weeks ago, after the original radiator sprang a leak at a seam.

Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
$130 Chinese reman POS starter that doesn't even fit right.......or you can get an OEM starter from ExtremePSI for $200.

https://www.extremepsi.com/store/hom...ction=0&page=2

Return that turd and buy an OEM piece that will fit right.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
The generic's work, you don't need the shield if you wrap your downpipe or other simple heat mgmt tricks. I figured it was an evo 8 starter cause I heard there were slightly bigger then the 9's but mine has worked over a year now for a little over 100 bucks.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
$130 Chinese reman POS starter that doesn't even fit right.......or you can get an OEM starter from ExtremePSI for $200.

https://www.extremepsi.com/store/hom...ction=0&page=2

Return that turd and buy an OEM piece that will fit right.
I needed one right away, so shipping one wasn't an option.
The starter is already installed and works, and I saved $70, so I'll just drill holes in the shield.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
The generic's work, you don't need the shield if you wrap your downpipe or other simple heat mgmt tricks. I figured it was an evo 8 starter cause I heard there were slightly bigger then the 9's but mine has worked over a year now for a little over 100 bucks.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I forgot to mention, one major headache when searching for starters online was that certain websites that offer the make/model fit confirmation were wrong regarding the Evo. They would list starters for the regular Lancer's 4G94 and 4G69 as fitting the 4G63.