Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Synapse still the best for driveability?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Is anyone using the new body on a DV successfully? I must have been one of the first to receive one. I had to buy a rebuild kit because the DV had a bad oring, but the kit doesnt have an Oring that fits. It looks like the receiving groove for the oring is just way too tight.

Their customer service sucks ***, I am trying to get a new DV or refund, hopefully MAP can do something for me.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts
@IzzyRS

I found that I had to keep calling the number on their site until I got hold of someone. Once I explained the problem to them they responded quickly.

Post up a picture of the new body, especially the inlet and outlet redesign, which is where there was a problem. I'm interested to see if they have fixed it.

BTW - it's still the best DV in my opinion.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey. I'm wondering if I should cancel my DV order with all the issues being had. There's currently no Australian distributor for Synapse stuff, the seller that use to distribute their stuff found Synapse to difficult to deal with so stopped selling their product. I've paid a US distributor for one but the whole process has been going on for months now, with DV unit not being available, not sure what's going on now, weeks go by with no information available. Are the DV units actually available to purchase for the general public, seems that getting any information from Synapse is near to impossible. So with all the commentary about exploding DV's and o-rings not fitting should I cancel my order, getting any kind of replacement under warranty seems very difficult for US based customers, who knows how I'd go trying to get something sorted from Australia. What about the BOV unit they sell, I know they're huge but do they work well enough, driveability wise, which has been the biggest problem I've had with other types of bov's?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I was told they are just now starting to fill backorders. I called them repeatedly, left voicemail, have two tickets open, and asked MAP to look into getting me some help. Yesterday was 3 months since I paid for the damn thing, and I am still on the OEM crushed DV.
Here are some quick cell phone pictures.

The rebuild kit came with a fat oring that I think is supposed to seat against the polished area in the last picture. The DV came with a skinnier oring installed, I wonder if its why the DV leaks at idle...

Last edited by IzzyRS; Sep 28, 2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
To everyone that had their Synapse unit fail on them can you reply with how you had your mounted and when you purchased it?

I'm pretty much set on buying one but the only thing holding me back now is reliability. If the ones who has their failed seem to only be failing if they are solidly mounted to the UICP then I wont bother getting the flange and welding it on.

Im just trying to determine what is causing these things to fail whether its the way its mounted or poor QC on the first production units.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
I can say mine has not failed and I installed it just like OEM. Ill probably start packing the OEM just incase, but after more than a year there has been no issues for me.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

And that coincides exactly with what seems to be the trend. So it seems installed like OEM is the way to go. Not as clean but hey its all good the OEM config is easy and hasn't failed on me yet.

What about your buddy Bryan? His solidly mounted when it failed?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Just asked Brian and he said his was also hard mounted to a flange on the Upper IC pipe. Sounds like the rubber hoses OEM style could be insulating it from enough vibration to prevent braking.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

My thoughts exactly. Way too small of a sample to draw a statistical significance but it makes perfect sense. The casting still could be weak and the initial production could have had some impurities or other things that were addressed with the revision but it sounds like mounting like OEM is the way to go and it makes my life easier so that's an added bonus. And of course if it does fail I have the ability to pop on the stock one.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I think they crack on install, then break. I broke one trying to install it. The flange/clamp setup they use is retarded.
The following users liked this post:
Brianawd (Sep 28, 2016)
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
Nope, its not supposed to do that. They sell rebuild kits for the Synchronic. You most likely have some leaking o-rings.

The one that I damage from time to time is the o-ring to the flange but that's only if you run their flange.
Ok, thanks for the info
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I'm still stuck on the premise that the Synapse DV is any good. I've had one on and off the car for years, following Kojima's fairy dust article. Every config I've tried results in sharp venting that causes the car to fall on it's face. On the street it's super annoying, but I've had it vent on track where I was in fourth, mild throttle with light boost, mid turn, and the car just tucked in like I lifted really hard.

Ahhhhhlotsofcountersteerrightnowandwhatthefwasthat !?!?!

I put the stock metal valve back on and cherubs sing.

Maybe I'm just doing something fundamentally wrong?
Push, B-port, light spring. Stock motor / turbo, small cams, exhaust, etc. Real basics.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Is yours the old version or the new? Ive heard the old version didn't perform that great but can speak highly enough about mine. You're also 100% sure its in push more cause pull mode would definitely cause what you're describing. And if youre just using port B, you have that going to something post throttle body and port A is just left open (not plugged)?

I went from stock to crushed (way too much surging on throttle lift) back to new stock (leaking over ~23psi IIRC), then to the synapse. Was completely night and day difference. The BOV has nearly disappeared from the driving experience and on track it never causes sudden venting.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Ruh ruh. I can see the thing freaking out mid corner being very sketchy to say the least. Classic evo never lift mid corner and if you must or something happens like what you mentioned you better be quick with the counter steer and get back on the gas to powa out!

Very strange to hear that youre having issues with it especially on a very mild setup. I just pulled the trigger on one this morning. Been going back and forth with what I want to do and your post reminded me to order it. Just seems like youre the only one running into issues with it.

The article makes it sound as if pull port B is the best setup if the car allows it in regards to throttle response and driveability. But then it goes on to mention that push seems best if your car is prone to stalling on throttle lift. It doesnt really sound like you lifted but rather it was mid throttle application. Strange indeed.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Dallas- You have it configured pull or push?

From reading that article it seems the ideal setup assuming the car likes it is pull port B only? Is that what youre running or do you have yours in push? My BOV vacuum source is the nipple on the IM so I guess thats post TB? Its the same reference as the stock BOV although I got rid of all the hard line crap...

Quick Reply: Synapse still the best for driveability?