Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 4 head, 3g ECU, 4g64 GDI Galant, possible?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 4 head, 3g ECU, 4g64 GDI Galant, possible?

Hi guys! So reaching out from Sweden with a project started when my dear Galant 2.4 dohc ---GDI--- cracked its head. I liked both the driving and the design and decided to restore it. It's engine however made no lasting impressions on me... After looking around for alternatives I fell into some kind of google black hole about the 4g64/4g63t/sohc/dohc/evo/eclipse/mirage swaps and so on.

I was really intrigued since the only thing I really disliked about this Galant was its GDI-system. Which more or less makes any improvements/upgrades impossible. I'm not a novice in the garage but have never built, tuned or made modifications to an engine. But in a confused state I decided to give it a go

My plan is a 2.4l 4g64/4g63t n/a, for now at least The base I had was the 4G64 GDI-block and it's manual transmission. Both in great condition since the car only one has previous owner and not even 7000 miles on it.
I quickly came over an evo 4 4g63t head and made an impulse buy, a bargain I hope
And since neither the fuel delivery system nor the ECU seems to be of any use I had to search for my next move. My conclusions said the options for ECU either came from an evo or a 3g eclipse. Since the 3g was alot cheaper I again made a fast decision and got it.

So that is right about where we are today, day 2 of the journey of me getting in over my head. l I hope this build is even possible to start with Barely know where this is going and have no real idea what the expected end result of this might be, but that is how I learn best. With a limited budget and lack of experience I realize I this is no easy picnic and hope you guys can guide me somewhat.

I know the pistons on this block is and looks alot different from the 4g64 SOHC and has a higher compression ratio(10.5:1). But I've heard they maybe , just maybe the pistons can modified to fit this system. Any suggestions on where I go from here?

Right now I'm thinking of exploring the differences on the wiring harness to make the ECU fit. I have good experience with wiring at least and hope I can modify the existing one to work with the 3g. One of my biggest questions is what, if anything, can I actually keep from the original setup?

I know need a throttle body and fuel injection, and probably intake and exhaust as well right? If so, what might fit, just evo and 3g? I'm guessing the easiest way would be using as many components from a 3g as possible, but that might be both tough to find here and rather expensive.

All thoughts, pointers and help appreciated!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is forged pistons a necessity for future turbo builds or would a set of Manley 613000C-1 do?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
You can use a 4g64 block along with a 4g63t head. The evo 4 one you have will fit you block. You also need to use all the ancillaries that come with the 4g63 head. You cannot use the evo head in an aspirated application. The design of the combustion chamber, and the design and size of the inlet/exhaust port will not work well in an aspirated setup. The pistons in the GDI apart from the fact that they very weak, are also of way too high compression with wrong type and size of valve pockets on them to host the 4g63t valves. The only way to combine a 4g64 block and evo 4-9 4g63t head is by building a turbo setup. By building a turbo setup cancels the 3g ecu.

Marios