Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC S1 vs S2 for daily drivability, and my goals, for Evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with the s1's. Just because you're not looking for much more than low end range power for a long time.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 06:09 PM

I'm running S1's on a stock turbo with full bolt-ons. The idle needed to be bumped up to 1000rpm's for the cams and aside from that (and the cammy idle sound) I honestly can't tell the difference from stock (in terms of drivability) aside from more power everywhere. You'll like them!

Last edited by mctonyb; Oct 6, 2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mctonyb
I'm running S1's on a stock turbo with full bolt-ons. The idle needed to be bumped up to 1000rpm's for the cams and aside from that (and the cammy idle sound) I honestly can't tell the difference from stock (in terms of drivability) aside from more power everywhere. You'll like them!
More power everywhere you say... tell me more!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by astral
More power everywhere you say... tell me more!
My car picked up almost 30whp with the cams. I do hit max HP at ~7100 RPM and max TQ at 5200 RPM and the curve isn't all that different from when the car had stock cams. The curve shifted slightly up in the RPM band (by about 300 RPM) but that's it.

Netting the whole thing out, the car doesn't drive drastically different from stock but it just makes more power. Hope that helps.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 09:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by 06RedRalli
Coming from someone who daily drives with s2's in their 8, I don't agree with the "bucky" below 2k in 1st gear. As far as idle a little tuning can go a long way in making it less lopey, and smooth. I know the goal isn't max power here, but is more low end torque the ultimate goal here, like in a autox type of car? Where torque is needed quickly and helps push through the track? If so yes s1's def fit the bill here.

Now if the goal is an all around power car, then with the small turbo you'll have the power low, but with the s2's it'll allow the power to pull through the entire rev range.
If I get lazy driving the car in a parking lot, it can be a little bucky, its not crazy bad. But I could see not wanting to deal with it if I was also driving the car in snow LOL.

It's hard to "fix" a lopey idle without VVT. You can enrichen the AFR at idle, but that requires the car to be run in open loop at idle (unless you have an aftermarket EMS that allows you to choose your AFR targets), which means idle AFR's won't be consistent across different temps and elevations. You can bump timing up some, but that can make the idle unstable (wanting to bounce up and down) if you add too much.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
go with the s1's.

will you give up top end power, yes.

will you still be able to drive fine in the city with s2's, yes.

will the s1's behave better in parking lot, lower power applications, yes.

it's all a compromise.... you need to decide. either cam you choose will make more power than stock cams!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
didnt read all the replies.

i dd on s2s on a stock-ish 2.0. only mods are ported head and intake and aftermarket single valve springs.
it runs fine, i had to fiddle with my mivec just to get the idle to sound rough and mean. before i did that it sounded stock.

man up.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 09:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
didnt read all the replies.

i dd on s2s on a stock-ish 2.0. only mods are ported head and intake and aftermarket single valve springs.
it runs fine, i had to fiddle with my mivec just to get the idle to sound rough and mean. before i did that it sounded stock.

man up.
8's don't have a mivec. The S2's have a very lopey idle in the 8.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went with S1's roughly 60k miles ago and haven't had any complaints. I'm on the stock turbo with bolt-ons and will probably stay that way until something stops working, or I have money to burn.
To me an Evo is a machine that is amazing at so many things that to tweak it too far one way is to hinder it in another. Personally, my car needs to perform in the rain, sun, & 18" of snow and I can say has, with a the right set of tires.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
8's don't have a mivec. The S2's have a very lopey idle in the 8.
I love that lope, had this guy pull up beside me yesterday and said "Hey boy that thing got a cam in it?" I was like yes sir, it actually two of them!

Car sounds mean, I have R2's tho, but I here the S2's are close enough.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
I love that lope, had this guy pull up beside me yesterday and said "Hey boy that thing got a cam in it?" I was like yes sir, it actually two of them!

Car sounds mean, I have R2's tho, but I here the S2's are close enough.
I love the lope too, but it's def not for everybody. My car has all poly motor mounts, and sitting at a stop it rocks my head back and forth. I get lots of comments from rando gearhead guys asking how big the cams are. Right after they ask me why my brakes are so loud...LOL

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Oct 14, 2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lol ^^ yes!

I can't wait to get my S2's in. Im going for a similar all around more power, but I have an HTA71. I'm wanting an awesome all around car that I can daily if I needed to (it's not my primary car) but still get the most out of the turbo on 93 with room to grow if I ever wanted to.

I agree with everyone here that S1 cams are probably what you're wanting. If I was on stock turbo and dailying it's what I'd do.

I can't wait for that cam lope at a stop light
Old Oct 14, 2016, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
my kelfords= 272's dd very well. has a mean lope. quite a bit of stoplight intimidation LOL.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Like others have said for your goals and DD the S1 is what you want. I've had them for about 4 years (~40k). Even with great tuning there is still a difference at idle vs stock (I'm an original owner of my VIII) so the S2s would be even more noticeable. They drive pretty good and give you good midrange for what you want to do.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, is the install something that is hard to do in the driveway? I've watched a few videos and it looks easy enough. i cant seem much on bleeding the lifters though

Quick Reply: GSC S1 vs S2 for daily drivability, and my goals, for Evo VIII