Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC S1 vs S2 for daily drivability, and my goals, for Evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GSC S1 vs S2 for daily drivability, and my goals, for Evo VIII

Hey all. I'm coming with a question about cams today.

My head is coming off for a head gasket, and I figure now is as good as any time to rip the whole engine out, stick in new rings, gaskets, etc. As well as cams

Now I am stuck between the S1 and S2 cams. I've been reading deep in the "big cams little turbo" thread and am now conflicted. Based on the dyno chart in there, the S2's seem like the clear winner. However, my car is going to be used to it's full potential, IE snow trips, road trips, etc. I need the car to be as reliable as possible.

That being said, I am wondering if the S2 cams are a bit too aggressive in the way the car will do (potentially at times very cold) cold starts. Also worried about the idle, and slightly worried about MPG. (It's already awful, but would prefer it to not get way more awful).

My goals for the car are to make it as responsive as possible with as quick a spool as I can get. This can be seen with the mod route I have taken, ETS UICP and LICP, 3" from turbo back, Works throttle body, etc. I'm not going for huge power, most I'd like to push is 400Awhp, more realistically 350Awhp as I currently have a stock 6 speed.

Can anyone share some insight? I've seen the dyno data, now I'd like to hear some real world experiences.

Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
For your power goals, I would go with S1's.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
For your power goals, I would go with S1's.
Thank you for the reply, can you offer me some information behind what led you to that? Please expand on your thought so I know why I would rather go for the choosing the S1's. Thanks.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Smooth idle vs very lopey idle for the S2's. Better off boost/low rpm torque and response. And you just don't need a bigger cam for your power goals. S2's are for guys going after 600whp, or trying to go max effort on a smaller turbo. You're clearly not trying to do a max effort small turbo build.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I had S1s and 450whp (FP Green) in a previous life. had no problems with it. I thought about S2's too but I got to my goals with S1s, which I think is the point. Zero drivability issues with the S1, car drove like stock.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:45 PM

Thanks guys. Perfect reasoning to back up suggestions. I am sold on the S1's. Much appreciated!

On a side note... "better off boost response" how about the on boost power over stock?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

You'll probably pick up around 25whp-30whp.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 01:24 PM

You'll probably pick up around 25whp-30whp.
Sounds fantastic.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm kind of in the same situation, and was planning on S2's. I thought from what I read on other threads that the s2's arent any difference in off boost/throttle issues.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 02:10 PM
EvoM Guru

They don't create an "issue", the car drives fine except being a little bucky in 1st gear below 2k rpms, they just don't make as much off boost torque. The car feels lazier when you're not in boost. Especially on an 8. If you have a 9 (MIVEC), I would say S2's for sure.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 02:21 PM

They don't create an "issue", the car drives fine except being a little bucky in 1st gear below 2k rpms, they just don't make as much off boost torque. The car feels lazier when you're not in boost. Especially on an 8. If you have a 9 (MIVEC), I would say S2's for sure.
Yup. A little bucky in 1st gear below 2k RPMs sounds exactly what I don't want for this car. For a general use car, sacrificing drivability around town or on trips for maximum potential is not what compatible with my goals.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coming from someone who daily drives with s2's in their 8, I don't agree with the "bucky" below 2k in 1st gear. As far as idle a little tuning can go a long way in making it less lopey, and smooth. I know the goal isn't max power here, but is more low end torque the ultimate goal here, like in a autox type of car? Where torque is needed quickly and helps push through the track? If so yes s1's def fit the bill here.

Now if the goal is an all around power car, then with the small turbo you'll have the power low, but with the s2's it'll allow the power to pull through the entire rev range.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 06RedRalli
Coming from someone who daily drives with s2's in their 8, I don't agree with the "bucky" below 2k in 1st gear. As far as idle a little tuning can go a long way in making it less lopey, and smooth. I know the goal isn't max power here, but is more low end torque the ultimate goal here, like in a autox type of car? Where torque is needed quickly and helps push through the track? If so yes s1's def fit the bill here.

Now if the goal is an all around power car, then with the small turbo you'll have the power low, but with the s2's it'll allow the power to pull through the entire rev range.

I guess I should have mentioned the type of spirited driving I do.
I mostly do canyon/windy/twisty road driving. I don't do any autocross with this car.
Priorities are strong mid range and adding as much response as possible.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What turbo? Stock?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 05:20 PM

Stock turbo. In the future if I ever moved up, it would be to only a slightly larger turbo. The goal with upgrading the turbo in the future would to still run a small turbo, just a much more modern design than the journal bearing turbo in the Evo.

Originally Posted by 06RedRalli
What turbo? Stock?

Quick Reply: GSC S1 vs S2 for daily drivability, and my goals, for Evo VIII