Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Valve spring install question *searched*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
mine ran fine, went 12.40s on the stock turbo. got 18 mpg beating it up. maybe im just unlucky.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 04:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
What springs are you going with? Machine shop will be able to do it for you, but depending one what springs and what spring height your using. Each spring has a different seat pressure different spring heights will give you your seat pressure. I would figure out what springs, what seat pressure your going to have with it, and have the machine shop doing it if your having them do it being depending on height your may not have proper shims to get your what your going to need for seat pressure.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
46k no issues, want more power with supporting mods.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by cursedsm
What springs are you going with? Machine shop will be able to do it for you, but depending one what springs and what spring height your using. Each spring has a different seat pressure different spring heights will give you your seat pressure. I would figure out what springs, what seat pressure your going to have with it, and have the machine shop doing it if your having them do it being depending on height your may not have proper shims to get your what your going to need for seat pressure.
Now we have contradicting posts. Did you read a few posts up top??
Old Dec 29, 2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by cursedsm

Gsc 4041 I believe the PN is...
Old Dec 29, 2016, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Exsubie22
46k no issues, want more power with supporting mods.
Ok with that said the gsc should be fine with that said I am guessing your leaning towards the s2 cams.

Now we have contradicting posts. Did you read a few posts up top??
Maybe I missed something where is the contradiction? EDIT: After rereading the whole thread I don't see the contradiction. I was agreeing with take it to the machine shop and have them do it. I get you have the tool to do so, I have a tool to do it as well but that doesn't mean its done right. Sure lots of people do it I myself have as well but had no idea what seat pressure, and spring height I was running and what it was important. I just threw springs in with stock seats and called it a day. Not the right way to do it and will lead to coil bind and floating valves not that I know lol. (reason I had to redo my head)

Gsc 4041 I believe the PN is...
Ok, decent spring, honestly I know there are better springs out there, but complete kit. Being I work for a valve spring manufacture those are nice being they come with everything you need. They will definitely do the job for s2 cams if in fact those are the ones you go with.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Dec 29, 2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 09:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
GSC 5041 are designed to be used with the stock spring seat/shim. You do not need to check these things, it's simply not necessary. As I stated before, you are installing springs that are made specifically for your cylinder head. GSC will have already QC'ed them for spring rate, and free length, which means once installed they will have proper installed height and seat pressure with the OEM shim/seat they are intended to be used with.

http://www.power-division.com/produc...cat=315&page=1
Originally Posted by GSC POWER DIVISION
The GSC 5041 Includes a Beehive valve spring set, and Grade 5 Titanium retainers You will use the OEM spring seat. This kit is capable of 11000+ RPMS, with as much as 12.1mm lift cams (net valve lift max due to seal to bottom retainer contact). These are a must have for anyone pushing the limits. If you have had problems with valve float or throwing rocker arms this is the spring set that will cure your problems for good.
The following users liked this post:
4b11slayer (Dec 29, 2016)
Old Dec 29, 2016, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Yes I am aware of that and yes they are installed tall. Look I am not going to argue they are a bad spring, I just know being i do this for a living. I deal with springs for every major racing event. I run our springs in my own car. What makes me laugh is they say beehives are used in NASCAR and F1 and I will tell you this I make springs for every team in NASCAR and just about every team in F1 and only a handful of F1 people use beehives LOL. Anyways back on subject if that is what you choose good luck hope they do well for you.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Is what's actually funny is F1 cars don't even use valve springs. They're all pneumatic...lol.

I'm not arguing any one spring is good or bad. What I'm getting at is that of what is available for the Evo is all great product. And, most of what is available for the Evo is all specific fit parts (valves, springs, retainers, etc). So measuring installed height (of the spring), and checking seat pressure is an unnecessary step, especially when simply swapping springs/retainers on an OEM head.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Is what's actually funny is F1 cars don't even use valve springs. They're all pneumatic...lol.

I'm not arguing any one spring is good or bad. What I'm getting at is that of what is available for the Evo is all great product. And, most of what is available for the Evo is all specific fit parts (valves, springs, retainers, etc). So measuring installed height (of the spring), and checking seat pressure is an unnecessary step, especially when simply swapping springs/retainers on an OEM head.
I know your just being informative, no worries and no offense taken or anything your just giving info. Some F1 cars do still use valves springs. Not many but we do a handful of them for certain teams. I had to measure mine myself being my springs are like Kigglys. They are not made for a dsm or evo they are actually mustang springs. Kigglys will give you all the proper shims and seats to make them a desired spring height and seat pressure. Before I looked at the gsc I didn't realize they were taller.