Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Currently have an MHI BB FP Black; thinking about moving to a JB SS Black

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently have an MHI BB FP Black; thinking about moving to a JB SS Black

Long story short; I havve a MHI Black 2.0L built motor 10.5-1 pistons.
I am thinking about selling my MHI and buying a SS JB Black to make some more power.

I am wondering if the additional lag is going to be something I regret or not.. Does anyone have any insite? Has anyone made this transition before?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you're trying to squeeze more power out of the FP Black it'll be best to send it to FP to get ported etc. if that isnt done already....
It would be pointless to waste money on buying the same setup even if its a "better version" so you're better off upgrading to a FP Zero or Zeph....
Chris Barnett has a full FP Zero kit for $2400 shipped on his "Huge Partout" post.. check him out!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
No way in hell I would do this if I were you.....

Originally Posted by Evo__Lee
if you're trying to squeeze more power out of the FP Black it'll be best to send it to FP to get ported etc. if that isnt done already....
It would be pointless to waste money on buying the same setup even if its a "better version" so you're better off upgrading to a FP Zero or Zeph....
Chris Barnett has a full FP Zero kit for $2400 shipped on his "Huge Partout" post.. check him out!

^^Solid info^^
Old Feb 18, 2017, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by dookgvr4
No way in hell I would do this if I were you.....

^^Solid info^^

Why? Have you had both setups? MY tuner is suggesting I move to the SS Housing.. I am just not sure how much I am going to miss the twinscroll.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Have not had either....

But I do not Think that the hp gained would be justifiable for the amount of lag gained.

Plus e fact that you need a new down pipe. Waste gate etc. etc.

You have a pretty propper turbo.....

What fuel are you running?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Quick search.... Decent read

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...mhi-black.html
Old Feb 18, 2017, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
since you would only effectively be changing the exhaust side, its probably not worth the cost and effort difference. If you want more power, its going to be more cost effective to go with a bigger compressor wheel along with the better turbine side.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...2-e13-e79.html

^Your car is badass^ LoL

If you haven't already, why don't you look at throttle body/intake manifold.

Possibly upgrading to s3's

I don't know.... I just cant see the logistics in swapping those 2 turbos

But it's your call.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Extra lag for little gains if any? nah
Old Feb 19, 2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Extra lag for little gains if any? nah

Tuner is claiming he can make another 80-100hp on the single scroll black. So its quite substantial.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dookgvr4
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...2-e13-e79.html

^Your car is badass^ LoL

If you haven't already, why don't you look at throttle body/intake manifold.

Possibly upgrading to s3's

I don't know.... I just cant see the logistics in swapping those 2 turbos

But it's your call.
Thanks man! Its not much compared to most of my evo friends... I dont think tom mentioned my entire shep drivetrain ect too.. ) : lol

I do have a ported stock intake manifold now, but I havent really ventured into the TB realm or more..

I have debated on S3's for a while too; thats another option I haven't considered lately.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 05:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Once a car is laggy... does it really matter if it's more laggy? May as well go all out. If peak WHP is your goal, then the SS makes sense.. but then so does going with a bigger turbo. Most people run Blacks because they can stay with the MHI housing. If you are going away from that, then the sky is the limit.
In fact, I'd go with a T3 kit at that point.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
my first answer would be no way in heck would I give up twin scroll . I have gone to great lengths to get TS on one of my cars. the standard answer is some just dont care about loosing some spool to make more power. just depends on your driving habits and how you typically do pulls. if you mostly like highway pulls lag is less relevant . just kickdown a gear and all is good. but if you do alot of stop and go using lower gears the faster you can make TQ the more fun the car is.

dont think I saw it mentioned but transient response would take a huge hit loosing BB AND TS.. crazy ungood idea if you ask me.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 07:31 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
my first answer would be no way in heck would I give up twin scroll . I have gone to great lengths to get TS on one of my cars. the standard answer is some just dont care about loosing some spool to make more power. just depends on your driving habits and how you typically do pulls. if you mostly like highway pulls lag is less relevant . just kickdown a gear and all is good. but if you do alot of stop and go using lower gears the faster you can make TQ the more fun the car is.

dont think I saw it mentioned but transient response would take a huge hit loosing BB AND TS.. crazy ungood idea if you ask me.
It does depend. I'm about instant power and response and couldn't care any less about peak power. But most people roll their eyes when I give advice because they think I'm crazy
They are all about the dyno chart. Which is okay..but then why but am Evo?
Different strokes...
Old Feb 20, 2017, 07:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You don't need a whole new turbo. Just order the hot side from FP, I think they're like $425ish. I would definitely NOT down grade to a JB turbo,

I would also suggest a switch to S3's. S2's are designed for around 600hp. S3's will probably be 25whp+ gain at this level, and you can rev it higher, especially with the higher flowing single scroll hot side.

Also, is your wastegate dumped or recirc? Waste gate dump would also help at this level.

I would say if the car doesn't have an O2 dump to with an O2 dump and S3's. You'll probably pick up over 50whp.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Feb 20, 2017 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Currently have an MHI BB FP Black; thinking about moving to a JB SS Black