Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

WTF am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 08:45 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Gary looked at the logs and didn't see anything that stood out which leads me back to the problem being mechanical, which I assumed. I.just can't figure out what's different.
I figured Maybe the cap coming off the air filter would cause an influx of air and cause the fuel cut. Then, the excess air would affect the tune. But, that's now fixed.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Like I said, I did two tests. No leaks found.
plus, I made my tester and I think it's prettier.

​​​​
when you said two tests and followed with what you wrote It sounded to me like you only did visual, my bad
Old May 30, 2017, 11:13 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
when you said two tests and followed with what you wrote It sounded to me like you only did visual, my bad
I could see how that's confusing.
You asked if I did a boost leak test, so I replied that I did two. You mentioned the vacuum lines, so I was saying I checked. No leaking air. In The OP I mentioned testing to 28psi, so I didn't think to reiterate. Definitely covered that base, though!

Hitting fuel cut for no reason....then running rich in open loop only..plus slow spool...
Then there is the wideband reading zero and the the timing reading crazy advanced, when the car went nuts.

I still don't know.

Last edited by kaj; May 30, 2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old May 31, 2017, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
damn.. sorry no ideas here other than what's been covered.. really does sound like a leak somehow, idk. injectors? any leak there? throttle body rebuilt?
Old May 31, 2017, 08:55 AM
kaj

TB seals are about a year old. I heard nothing from the injectors.
IM going to do a third leak test with soap and water.

Last edited by kaj; May 31, 2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old May 31, 2017, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe your intake pipe to the turbo is collapsing or you have some sort of restriction in your piping, like a rag left in there after doing some work.
Old May 31, 2017, 04:00 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by wreckleford
Maybe your intake pipe to the turbo is collapsing or you have some sort of restriction in your piping, like a rag left in there after doing some work.
FP silicone and it hasn't been near aNY rags or other debris. I would have also noticed during one of my many leaks tests. LOL
Old May 31, 2017, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you checked the turbo/wastegate?
Old May 31, 2017, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If it feels like it drastically cuts power when you hear the poping sounds, its hitting fuel cut.

If it pops and crackles and still wants to keep pulling and just feels like its cutting, it may be spark blowout, i had to gap my 2 step colder plugs down to .015" so it can ignite 46psi of boost with ethanol. Lol.

good luck buddy. You can also try indexing the plugs, making sure they all face the injector/intake manifold.
Old May 31, 2017, 08:32 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by mt057
Have you checked the turbo/wastegate?
I've been working 12hr shifts and sick. Tomorrow is my first day to investigate and I'm already planning to do just that. LOL. Pulling the DP and also the intake, again.

Originally Posted by roni4g63
If it feels like it drastically cuts power when you hear the poping sounds, its hitting fuel cut.
Yeah, that's what I figured. It felt like popping an IC coupling.. but since they are all still on, I guess it would have had to be fuel cut. The log supports that, from what I can tell, though I'm not sure.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Hey man, does the car have a stock intake box? Asking because if the poppers are no longer holding the snorkel down to the rad support they lift up with rpm/speed choking airflow through the MAF. You'd see that same drop in load.

Old issue many of us found out long ago, most people have intakes of some sort so it doesn't come up much anymore
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:26 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Hey man, does the car have a stock intake box? Asking because if the poppers are no longer holding the snorkel down to the rad support they lift up with rpm/speed choking airflow through the MAF. You'd see that same drop in load.

Old issue many of us found out long ago, most people have intakes of some sort so it doesn't come up much anymore
No, sir. Open filter.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 01:40 PM
kaj

OP updated.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Yeah, that's what I figured. It felt like popping an IC coupling.. but since they are all still on, I guess it would have had to be fuel cut. The log supports that, from what I can tell, though I'm not sure.
Thats exactly how I thought of it when I had the vacuum hose popped off the fuel pressure regulator solenoid, +1 your probably hitting fuel cut
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
FP silicone and it hasn't been near aNY rags or other debris. I would have also noticed during one of my many leaks tests. LOL
If the rag is post turbo you won't see it when doing a boost leak test. I am not saying this is your problem, but it is very similar to what I have seen before due to a rag forgotten in an intercooler pipe that made its way to the turbo. The car drives normally at low load but turns to **** at higher load/airflow.

Quick Reply: WTF am I missing?