Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Differential/driveshaft clunk after Act 6 puck

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Mine clunks and whines since installing bushings. I did all but the mustache bar.

Our cars are noisy anyway, so I don't worry about it 'till something breaks
After looking at the bushings I determined the moustache bar bushings were the only real source of the clunk. They allow significant movement of the diff and replacing those alone resolved the clunking issue. At least on my IX, the bushings on either side of the diff seem pretty stout and don't have much room to move so I left them stock as they are very easy to replace in the future if needed.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 09:41 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
After looking at the bushings I determined the moustache bar bushings were the only real source of the clunk. They allow significant movement of the diff and replacing those alone resolved the clunking issue. At least on my IX, the bushings on either side of the diff seem pretty stout and don't have much room to move so I left them stock as they are very easy to replace in the future if needed.
I pretty much assumed those were the source of my noise since they are the only ones, on the whole car, that I didn't replace.

I want to replace the bar anyway. Soon...
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Yea i did mustache,diff mounts,sway bar,trailing arm energy bushings. The mustache bar wasnt soo bad but then again i did it on a hoist with all the proper tools. I couldnt imagine it on jack stands on my back. Those days are over for me.

But back to this issue. The clunk is violent and only happens when taking off or reversing. On initial clutch release if the car bucks or jerks the clunk is heared. I just dont wana throw parts at it. But i also dont want those clunks to tale a toal on my diff.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Yea i did mustache,diff mounts,sway bar,trailing arm energy bushings. The mustache bar wasnt soo bad but then again i did it on a hoist with all the proper tools. I couldnt imagine it on jack stands on my back. Those days are over for me.

But back to this issue. The clunk is violent and only happens when taking off or reversing. On initial clutch release if the car bucks or jerks the clunk is heared. I just dont wana throw parts at it. But i also dont want those clunks to tale a toal on my diff.
check you cv axles as well.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:56 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer

Yup. Sounds just like mine LOL
Old Jul 18, 2017, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Mine clunks and whines since installing bushings. I did all but the mustache bar.

Our cars are noisy anyway, so I don't worry about it 'till something breaks
when I upgraded rear diff bushings clunky clunk clunk clunk.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 03:14 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
when I upgraded rear diff bushings clunky clunk clunk clunk.
It does get annoying, at times.