Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Vented VS. Sealed Catch Can Test, which is Better? Watch to find out!

Old Aug 14, 2017, 08:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Vented VS. Sealed Catch Can Test, which is Better? Watch to find out!

Ever wonder which catch can/breather system is better between a vented style system and a sealed style system? If so watch to find out!

Using my 9 second (best ET of 9.98@147mph) 2003 EVO 8 running 40 PSI on a Forced Performance Zero Turbo I decided to test a Saikou Michi vent to atmosphere dual catch can system, as well as a Saikou Michi sealed dual catch can system to see which was most efficient on my configuration.

Disclaimer: I realize that with different variables, components, configurations the results could be different, but wanted to share my results for my particular configuration. Use the information as you see fit, and enjoy!

Last edited by 0to140in9; Aug 14, 2017 at 09:04 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by 0to140in9:
03nevaevolution (Sep 18, 2020), NJ9MR (Aug 14, 2017), Pal215 (Nov 21, 2017), Steveevoix (Nov 13, 2017), stvn87903 (Aug 15, 2017), thatevo_sj (Nov 17, 2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do this and sharing it! Very informative, and I'm sure will help a lot of people!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Loving the eye candy in the engine compartment.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 04:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to put this together Sir.

A recirculated system is my preference also for a street car. As well as a piston ring gap on the tighter side.

Thats interesting that the newer FP turbo's are using the smaller .020 restrictor to further restrict the oil flow . The older ones and early HTZ use the .030.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
If you really want the best setup , you would have run it from the crank case/block. Currently the blowby has to find its way through the oil drain guides up to the head and under the valve cover before making its way out Vented or Sealed. Having a setup that also releaces the blowby directly from the crank area is best .

My Mazda CX-5 has one PCV on the valve cover and one on the block. The one on the block has a factory oem oil separator "catch can" .
The following users liked this post:
ceegutta (Aug 19, 2017)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 07:40 PM

^
1.)I make a disclaimer several times that there are different ways to do this and get different results.
2.)this was done for general knowledge of people with similar setups or considering similar setup, not to start a debate. Use the information as you see fit.
3.)in reference to your comment, if you watch the video i clearly point out the second catch can off the PCV which remained unchanged for the test. venting off the block is really not necessary on these cars unless you have excessive blow by. You want to keep the oil in the engine and reduce pressure at the same time. I have proven this system is working efficiently at that without having to vent the block itself. Your Mazda may be different but that's a whole other application.

Last edited by 0to140in9; Aug 14, 2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 0to140in9
^
1.)I make a disclaimer several times that there are different ways to do this and get different results.
I got you disclaimer. So your saying your not open to healthy constructive comments ?

2.)this was done for general knowledge of people with similar setups or considering similar setup, not to start a debate. Use the information as you see fit.
So did you not see the sticky right at the top regarding PCV’s , crank case pressure issues etc... instead of creating another thread ? Dont get me wrong Im happy that you shared this information and made a video clip. But your attitude sucks unfortunately. So if you didnt want comments or debates dont start a new thread for existing topics that have a sticky already.

Perhaps you could have created this post and closed the thread or asked a Admin to close it for you. This way no one can create a debate or comment something you wont like.

3.)in reference to your comment, if you watch the video i clearly point out the second catch can off the PCV which remained unchanged for the test. venting off the block is really not necessary on these cars unless you have excessive blow by. You want to keep the oil in the engine and reduce pressure at the same time. I have proven this system is working efficiently at that without having to vent the block itself. Your Mazda may be different but that's a whole other application.
So did you monitor the the positive/negative pressures in the crank case area as well during these tests ?

I only mentioned the Mazda to show that OE is doing it on the block. Even my friends 99 Civic SI from back in the day I remember having it.
The following users liked this post:
ceegutta (Aug 19, 2017)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Good video.

The thing here is that you're starting off with a known good engine and doing the test on it.

Most people who fit catch cans do it because their engines are broken and they're fitting the catch can as a "band aid" to hide the problems. Problems as in smoke and excessive blowby.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I got you disclaimer. So your saying your not open to healthy constructive comments ?

So did you not see the sticky right at the top regarding PCV’s , crank case pressure issues etc... instead of creating another thread ? Dont get me wrong Im happy that you shared this information and made a video clip. But your attitude sucks unfortunately. So if you didnt want comments or debates dont start a new thread for existing topics that have a sticky already.

Perhaps you could have created this post and closed the thread or asked a Admin to close it for you. This way no one can create a debate or comment something you wont like.

So did you monitor the the positive/negative pressures in the crank case area as well during these tests ?

I only mentioned the Mazda to show that OE is doing it on the block. Even my friends 99 Civic SI from back in the day I remember having it.
Wow... seriously? Sorry if you took my response in the wrong way, you can't understand context through a posting. I am open to constructive comments..... but I was merely pointing out that you were commenting directly towards something I stated was known...... the whole point of the disclaimer was to to prevent exactly this type of thing happening, taking away from the focus/point of the video... I'm onlly here to try and be helpful and not create an argument or debate.

No need to get bent out of shape here......

Last edited by 0to140in9; Aug 15, 2017 at 04:24 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Good video.

The thing here is that you're starting off with a known good engine and doing the test on it.

Most people who fit catch cans do it because their engines are broken and they're fitting the catch can as a "band aid" to hide the problems. Problems as in smoke and excessive blowby.
i disagree, many people with healthy race cars run catch cans to keep their engines healthy and efficient.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
O.P, both ways you have posted are efficient, had same results as you have posted, I have used both, along with other different ways on 4g63 and on different applications through the years.

Another way that has the same/very similar results as the second way, is having another ventilation hole on the same side/parallel to the oem one, both enlarged, and both ventilated to atmosphere.

Marios
Old Aug 15, 2017, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Question, for both of the tests did the intake manifold PCV remain the same...closed catch can between intake manifold and valve cover PCV valve? If yes, then the only change was...

1) Valve cover to closed catch can to turbo inlet
2) Valve cover to VTA catch can
Old Aug 15, 2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Question, for both of the tests did the intake manifold PCV remain the same...closed catch can between intake manifold and valve cover PCV valve? If yes, then the only change was...

1) Valve cover to closed catch can to turbo inlet
2) Valve cover to VTA catch can

yes to all your questions.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Evo8cy
O.P, both ways you have posted are efficient, had same results as you have posted, I have used both, along with other different ways on 4g63 and on different applications through the years.

Another way that has the same/very similar results as the second way, is having another ventilation hole on the same side/parallel to the oem one, both enlarged, and both ventilated to atmosphere.

Marios
There is no baffling on the same side parallel to the oem hole, so you would see more oil coming from there into your catch can. Doing this and just putting an air filter on both ports would produce similar results to my first test with VTA and would not maintain vacuum under all conditions = less efficient than sealed setup.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Good video. Thanks for the work.

Currently running the STM sealed system and couldn't be happier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vented VS. Sealed Catch Can Test, which is Better? Watch to find out!