Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ideas to make my evo more civilized?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I have a 9.75" vibrant mini-muffler as my test pipe and another 9.75" vibrant mini-muffler in the mid-pipe of my 3" magnaflow catback on my Evo 10.

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...products_id=47

It for sure made it much quieter at cruise but it's still loud at WOT. I would say it also made it a tad more "bassy" on decel. My main goal was to make sure the exhaust note didn't get raspy and honda like like it tends to with a more equal-length exhaust manifold (MAP cast v-band). I accomplished that goal.

They don't restrict either, the car puts down 640whp dynojet and 570whp mustang on a PT5858.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keith at BeanFab makes a kick *** exhaust. uses a secondary muffler and a resonator. (I think) I have heard it in person. It sounds great at idle. It has a little extra burble. Def not stock sounding but not waking up the neighbors idling. Hammer it and it sounds awesome. Local guy made 800 wheel with it. Worth looking into.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My car with the AMS catback which has the best sounding resonator imo along with the big varex without the electric cut out made 547whp and it was less than 5 hp difference when I disconnected the exhaust from dp back.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
my vote is for a 5x11 offset/offset magnaflow muffler. it's body is 22" long & the offset enables the muffler to work / eat the sound vs passing straight thru.

this muffler will knock the sound down big-time & not hurt your power....i had a guy here @ work who owns an evo8 with a loud system.

I could hear him drive a lap around work. when he drove my car; 2.4L r2 cams hta-grn, e85, once he turned away from me, you could barely hear the car, once he got on the gas, you really just heard the turbo, when he was heading towards me I just heard the engine.... super quiet.

he said he couldnt believe the radio level used in my car compared to his.... city driving im 18/22 & he said his is 30+...yeah, both stock radios

the muffler will sit up in a reasonable manner & not stick out like a sore thumb too!

this muffler has been on my car for years & is still quiet.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 06RedRalli
Stock exhaust, any downpipe, and a English Racing boost activated test pipe. Quite while cruising, but will still make great power when needed.
Only problem is that English no longer makes that piece any longer from my understanding so you would have to take a chance of finding a used one for sale. It is a sweet piece though. Have it on my car. Absolutely screams when I get into full boost.

I'm in the same boat as you. Bet trying to quite down the car and make it more driver friendly. I am planning on modifying my Buschur catback and adding a Vibrant muffler on it and leave the resonator that comes on the catback. My car is ridiculously loud right now.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to be the consensus to run 1-2 resonators in the exhaust...wont lose much power, but it should knock down the sound a bunch!!

good luck!