Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whats broke?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy Whats broke?

Today has been a long day. I was driving the car around for some errands because PA weather was uncharacteristically nice today. The trans in my car has been giving me issues for a week or so now, but it seemed like I just needed to change the gear oil again a little before the change interval.

on my way back, I feel the car start to lose power but rpms sounded fine. About 5 minutes later I slow down to go to a stop sign, and well the car feels like it is halfway in gear when i pull it out of 5th. I press the clutch in and try to put it in first but the car still feels in gear. I let the clutch out, and it dies. I learned that reverse works, but doesnt feel quite right. The car is currently on a tow truck back to a safe spot, but I am currently out of a garage/workspace.

I believe 1-5 were all stuck and whenever I tried to put the car into gear, it wouldnt budge, and the car would die as fast as the clutch would let it.

I got to thinking and I believe that it could be the selector fork or the counter shaft. I know that the 3-4 selector fork is known to be a bit weak, and I do beat on the car.

When I bought the car I was told that it had a buschur built transmission in it but I have heard very mixed reviews of their transmissions.

Clutch is an Exeddy Twin, not sure if HD. Car is an evo 9 5 speed from what I am told (5 speed for sure, i just dont know if 8 or 9)

Also just as a discussion question, If I were to either buy a new 5 speed, or have this one repaired/built. Who should I go with? I have seen that Jack's Trans has documented themselves to do what I have seen as the most work to improve the transmission. However, I have seen a lot of Shep Trans' builds reccomended, and they have an option to buy a trans new. I have also heard good things from TRE and was planning on buying a diff from them before this happened

Advice, thoughts, prayers?

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2018, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Ouch sorry to hear about that bud!

That to me sorta sounds like clutch drag. I know the twins are also notorious for a warped intermediate plate. Id try readjusting the clutch pedal before you take more drastic measures. How close to the floor does the clutch engage? The higher up the more travel the discs have which is better.

If you decide that the trans needs to be pulled send it to TRE. Everyone one has their own opinion on that but most are wrong, lol! Not to say that Shep and Jacks arent capable but Jon@TRE is better. Partial sarcasm there in regards to people and their opinions but Im not kidding about TRE.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If you can shift with the engine off its the clutch.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Ouch sorry to hear about that bud!

That to me sorta sounds like clutch drag. I know the twins are also notorious for a warped intermediate plate. Id try readjusting the clutch pedal before you take more drastic measures. How close to the floor does the clutch engage? The higher up the more travel the discs have which is better.

If you decide that the trans needs to be pulled send it to TRE. Everyone one has their own opinion on that but most are wrong, lol! Not to say that Shep and Jacks arent capable but Jon@TRE is better. Partial sarcasm there in regards to people and their opinions but Im not kidding about TRE.
If its clutch related I would be quite happy, I want to switch to a different clutch anyway, The twin is a rattle trap and I feel like its unnecessary for the car at its current power level and I would rather have my drivetrain set up so the clutch slips over breakin something.

I was looking at a TRE diff anyway, so thats good to hear.

The clutch engages about midway through the travel of the pedal,

Originally Posted by barneyb
If you can shift with the engine off its the clutch.
I believe I can shift it with the engine off, or at least it sounded like I could hear the gears clunking. easing my nerves.

I dont know exactly when I will be able to take the clutch out of the car, but I hope to figure out something within the next two weeks. When the time comes I will post up pictures.

If anyone has any other feedback please share! thanks guys
Old Apr 10, 2018, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

I have the time and the ability to take the transmission off this Friday (as long as nothing more is an issue, which I do not think it will be). Are there any differences between an Evo 8 & 9 Trans (Non-MR). I believe I have found a stock transmision for sale within a reasonable driving distance, for my power level (~335whp Mustang), would I be safe with an evo 9 RS transmission? This would also mean switching to a more road racing/Auto-X focused clutch and no more hard launches. I would like to get the car driving again seeing that there are racing events coming up, and I would much prefer to put my money towards a nice set of wheels/tires, and then some more suspension bits/bushings down the line. Any input? thanks
Old Apr 10, 2018, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The transmissions are interchangeable but fiddling was done with gear ratios.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
The transmissions are interchangeable but fiddling was done with gear ratios.
And that was only done between the 8 & 9 correct? I just wanted to make sure because I have seen people reference the trim that their trans was 5 speed was from, and I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything, thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That's all that was done. 1st, and 3-5 gear ratios are different. But as long as it is an Evo8/9 5 speed, it'll bolt up. I'm fairly certain the Evo7 trans works too. Don't quote me on that though.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Can confirm.
evo 7 tranny will bolt right up to 8/9
Old Apr 11, 2018, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome. I wouldnt have any issues with my power level right? I know the youre not supposed to go over ~400 ft lbs for the bottom end of the motors. What is a good number to try to stay under for the drivetrain? any clutch reccomendations?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 09:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be just fine with 335 whp, I don't have a ton of experience but I knew plenty of guys around 500 whp on mustang dynos running the stock 8/9 5 speeds with no problem. Personally I have had better luck with ACT's than Exedy, but to each their own I suppose.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XVelocityX
You should be just fine with 335 whp, I don't have a ton of experience but I knew plenty of guys around 500 whp on mustang dynos running the stock 8/9 5 speeds with no problem. Personally I have had better luck with ACT's than Exedy, but to each their own I suppose.
I dont have a preference, as I have heard of cases in both ACT clutches and Exedy experiences high RPM lockout
Old Apr 12, 2018, 03:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jheff
I dont have a preference, as I have heard of cases in both ACT clutches and Exedy experiences high RPM lockout
True, for me the exedy had excessive throw out bearing noise, heavier pedal, and less feel. YMMV
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jheff
a monoloc helps out situations with high rpm lockout
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by bwanner
a monoloc helps out situations with high rpm lockout
A monoloc does absolutely zero/zilch/nada/nothing for lock out. All it does is stop the dreaded TOB popping out of the pressure plate.

Quick Reply: Whats broke?