Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

SS Turbo to manifold Studs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SS Turbo to manifold Studs

Does anyone know of a stainless steel, stud that will work in the turbo to manifold spot?

I just cringe at the point of putting a swaintech coated JMFAB manifold, on a Swatintech coated FP SS housing... but having those rusty *** studs there.

I currently have the ARP manifold to head kit, and it is WONDERFUL.

Any help is appreciated!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

No one?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
SST does not have the strength of your typical high strength carbon steel grade 5 or 8 bolt (Google it for more detail)

Consider using anti-seize on those bolts prior to assy
Old Apr 8, 2018, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
SST does not have the strength of your typical high strength carbon steel grade 5 or 8 bolt (Google it for more detail)

Consider using anti-seize on those bolts prior to assy
They came apart just fine - just dont like the look of them. Blah
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had SS bolts seize between my turbo and manifold. It was a PITA to get them apart. Ended with a machine shop having to drill out the bolt when it broke.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by xRoguex
Does anyone know of a stainless steel, stud that will work in the turbo to manifold spot?

I just cringe at the point of putting a swaintech coated JMFAB manifold, on a Swatintech coated FP SS housing... but having those rusty *** studs there.

I currently have the ARP manifold to head kit, and it is WONDERFUL.

Any help is appreciated!
I had the OEM studs/bolts looked at by an engineer at my job who does this type of thing for a living. I learned two things:
1.) Mitsubishi doesn't give a crap about following industry standard bolt markings (the bolts have a "II" on them), and instead are following their own WWII era proprietary marking.
2.) Those studs/bolts are made out of some crazy awesome exotic material, designed for HEAT.

You do NOT want to replace those with some random stainless steel stud or bolt. Period. Buy new OEM ones.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yeah, mani to turbo use OEM. They are some variant of stainless, strong and not magnetic.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
High grade stainless steel studs will be fine, poor grade won't. The oem ones are made out of a tool steel grade. If you can use oem ones then use oem.

Marios
Old Apr 14, 2018, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Mazda uses stainless steel nuts on their exhausts. There's two ways to remove them, nutcracker or torch. They gall and then being harder than other metal, remove all threads. I suggest a stainless steel stud would do the same.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
I had the OEM studs/bolts looked at by an engineer at my job who does this type of thing for a living. I learned two things:
1.) Mitsubishi doesn't give a crap about following industry standard bolt markings (the bolts have a "II" on them), and instead are following their own WWII era proprietary marking.
2.) Those studs/bolts are made out of some crazy awesome exotic material, designed for HEAT.

You do NOT want to replace those with some random stainless steel stud or bolt. Period. Buy new OEM ones.
I guess thats the route I am going.. Just a shame they will look like **** in 12 months..
Old Apr 17, 2018, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle

cheapest way to a high spec turbo to manifold stud is to get OEM evo X studs which are inconell... much cheaper than aftermarket stuff..
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
cheapest way to a high spec turbo to manifold stud is to get OEM evo X studs which are inconell... much cheaper than aftermarket stuff..
not to sound - rude .. but do you have any proof of that? I never heard that one before.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by xRoguex
not to sound - rude .. but do you have any proof of that? I never heard that one before.
I was tearing apart the turbo on a friends X and noticed the studs were non magnetic... hence inconell, or some other similar high temp alloy.. Boght them for my efr manifold..

edited in.. part nr. MN119784

Last edited by kikiturbo; Apr 18, 2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Was just about to say, full race has Inconel turbo to mani hardware. I'm not sure if the EvoX studs are Inconel or stainless, but I can definitely confirm they are not magnetic. None of the OEM turbo hardware is actually; nuts, washers, bolts, and studs.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Was just about to say, full race has Inconel turbo to mani hardware. I'm not sure if the EvoX studs are Inconel or stainless, but I can definitely confirm they are not magnetic. None of the OEM turbo hardware is actually; nuts, washers, bolts, and studs.

do i need 10mm or 8mm studs for a stock twin scroll

Quick Reply: SS Turbo to manifold Studs