Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Maperformance Setrab AN Fittings Leaking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Maperformance Setrab AN Fittings Leaking

Wondering if anyone else has leaks with the MAP Setrab oil cooler for evo 8/9.

I got the option with the black braided lines, and after install all the oil lines were leaking slightly. The AN fittings were assembled by a professional.

I then received new lines from MAP's AN fitting/line manufacturer, and this time they came with little washers in the AN fittings, which assumedly are crush washers. The lines came preassembled this time. I had no leaks for a while, and then a tiny amount after a track day for which I retightened the lines a touch, but there's still a small leak on the AN fitting that the manufacturers assembled themselves (and I didn't touch)

Anyone else having any issues with the AN fittings/lines here? It's not enough to cause any issue, but still annoying.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Original one I had back from 2011 never leaked. Hope the quality hasn't gone down since I have to buy a new one due to the engine going boom.....
Old Jun 6, 2018, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

I'm honestly not sure why.

I gave the leaking area (except for the AN fitting assembled by them) a quick 32nd of a turn, just a touch tighter. hopefully that takes care of it.

Last edited by kyoo; Jun 6, 2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Kyoo, worst case scenario - new lines from these guys Brown and Miller would work. They do custom work for non-motor sports teams and the cost is worth it. I used them to replace a -8 fuel line I had constructed, I honestly gushed over the bend radius and the weight.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 07:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Got the oil cooler about 2 years ago. It leaked right after installing. Got new fittings, and still leaked. Got a shop to look at it and they used their own fittings and it didn't leak for awhile. Then a few months later it sarteds to slowly leak. Kinda disappointed at the higher cost.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

if it's still leaking by the off season i may need to completely uninstall it and consider just that. i'm not crazy about tightening and retightening on the tank a bunch of times though.

pretty damn disappointed in these lines. hoping the tightening down will take care of it. i think it was leaking a bit at the top, which could have made the bottom look like it was leaking but we'll see.

the oil cooler itself is symmetrical right?? like forwards and backwards?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:17 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Mine leak a bit. Not dripping, or anything, but I can see where dust has collected on wet spots. I've cinched them down a bit, but I'm honestly afraid of stripping one.
FWIW: I'm running 40wt oil, Kiggly, and still have my rear balance shaft in, so oil pressure is pretty normal.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Is it leaking from the hose-fitting connection, or somewhere else? IIRC, MAP uses Russell fittings and line in the their kit. Mine didn't leak for a year (motor blew up, so they only went a year lmao). After I assembled them a year ago, I pressure checked them at my buddy's shop to 225psi, let them sit for an hour, no leaks...

AN fittings should never leak, just FYI.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Is it leaking from the hose-fitting connection, or somewhere else? IIRC, MAP uses Russell fittings and line in the their kit. Mine didn't leak for a year (motor blew up, so they only went a year lmao). After I assembled them a year ago, I pressure checked them at my buddy's shop to 225psi, let them sit for an hour, no leaks...

AN fittings should never leak, just FYI.
it's really difficult to tell where the leak is coming from. i've tightened down the line at the top a smidge, thinking all the moisture i see may have come from the top and just looks like its leaking in other places due to where the moisture's collected.

it is bizarre. whoever makes the lines & fitings are the ones who assembled them (i did not touch/assemble myself), i only connected the lines from the cooler to the adapter fittings on the sandwich plate. i'll keep an eye on it, but as you said, should not be leaking whatsoever, so it's a mystery where it's coming from. i think the tightening should take care of it, we'll see. it didn't leak after street driving & autox, but it did after a track day, dunno if that's significant in any way
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:29 PM
EvoM Guru

My next question- Is it a leak, like its dripping, or are you just noticing a minor amount of sweating? AN lines are assembled with assembly lube that is basically oil (I just use oil lol), so some sweating may be noticeable when they get hot.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

hard to say. part of the undertray is just under it and it looks damp with oil, so i'd guess that it's an actual leak. the oil im using right now is green, as is the moisture on the lines. i'm fairly convinced the leak was coming from the top line connect from line to cooler and leaking out and down the line, as the whole line looks wet. i don't know if it's feasible that that is the accumulation shown in the picture below or if that is leakage at those specific points. it was also clearly wet at the connection from line to sandwich plate, and tightened that down a smidge. basically i've tightened both ends of this line and going to see next what it does. idk if it's also worth noting, i'm overfilled by about half a quart, which increases crank case pressures, though i'm assuming not too much at my power levels.

Maperformance Setrab AN Fittings Leaking-gkcxif7.jpg

those silver parts, i did not assemble or touch. i only screwed the black head to the adapter on the oil cooler, which i've again now tightened down a touch more. this is not the first time i've found moisture on those silver parts, this is a completely new set of lines sent to me by the manufacturer & had the same leak on the previous set of lines, and again am exploring the possibility that it is oil leaking from the top where the end connects to the higher opening on the cooler itself, and dripping all the way down the line. otherwise, not sure how a leak would even develop on the silver portion right next to the black braided line (bottom drop of oil in how this picture is oriented)
Old Jun 8, 2018, 01:50 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Mine look similar. No spots under the car, or anything.. but certain pars under my car are now slightly rust-proofed.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 01:55 PM
EvoM Guru

You should FOR SURE not be getting anywhere near that much oil out of them.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You should FOR SURE not be getting anywhere near that much oil out of them.
so... the lines suck? or what? they assembled the lines and i can only tighten them on to the cooler & sandwich plate so much, not sure what's screwed up here.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 06:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Are the fittings the screw into the cooler right? The banjo at the top needs to be pretty tight or it leaks (mine did at first).

Quick Reply: Maperformance Setrab AN Fittings Leaking