Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil pressure regulator for Ball bearing turbochargers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
It has finally been solved. I was desperate and since I already had it I put the 0.030 restrictor, that originally shipped with my turbo, pre OPR and have the 0.020" restrictor post OPR and it no longer smokes. Yay. this way I assume less oil will be bypassed at the OPR as well which i assume would keep more in the pan. The gauge still shows the same 2-3 psi at hot idle and 12 or so cold. I don't know if it was that or just putting more miles on it but I think its good now. I also bought the correct oil drain from STM but haven't installed it yet. Supposedly the wrong one will eventually crack because it is stressed to get the bolts to line up.

EDIT: I also put the stock catback back on at the same time so as not to **** off my new neighbors (just moved). Not sure that would have anything to do with it smoking or not...
Old May 2, 2019, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by XSivPSI
It has finally been solved. I was desperate and since I already had it I put the 0.030 restrictor, that originally shipped with my turbo, pre OPR and have the 0.020" restrictor post OPR and it no longer smokes. Yay. this way I assume less oil will be bypassed at the OPR as well which i assume would keep more in the pan. The gauge still shows the same 2-3 psi at hot idle and 12 or so cold. I don't know if it was that or just putting more miles on it but I think its good now. I also bought the correct oil drain from STM but haven't installed it yet. Supposedly the wrong one will eventually crack because it is stressed to get the bolts to line up.

EDIT: I also put the stock catback back on at the same time so as not to **** off my new neighbors (just moved). Not sure that would have anything to do with it smoking or not...
Glad its working out. Could you get a oil pressure reading at 5000 rpm stationary with the oil around 180* .
Old May 3, 2019, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
Glad its working out. Could you get a oil pressure reading at 5000 rpm stationary with the oil around 180* .
Not sure on oil temp or exact rpm but about 6psi hot and reved up. I'd guess I at least reved to 4-5k. Too low?
Old May 3, 2019, 08:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
If you don't have an oil temp gauge then you may be able to just go drive around normal for 15 min then check it. Oil temp should follow coolant temps for the most part under normal conditions.

I would record all the readings once you know the oil is warm.

I've got mine set at 10-12 psi at 5K with the oil at 180* FWIW.
Old May 5, 2019, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am trying to decide where to locate the drain for the OPR. I see some of you are using the bottom inspection hole. Is there any way to get at that without taking turbo/o2 housing out?
Old May 5, 2019, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Dexter Turner
I am trying to decide where to locate the drain for the OPR. I see some of you are using the bottom inspection hole. Is there any way to get at that without taking turbo/o2 housing out?
i didn’t have to remove any of that to get it out. With the bumper off I was able to just reach through and remove it.
Old May 5, 2019, 05:48 AM

Great, that makes me feel a little better that I'll be able to get at it without taking anything extravagant off. Thank you.
Old May 5, 2019, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Dexter Turner
Great, that makes me feel a little better that I'll be able to get at it without taking anything extravagant off. Thank you.
however, I do have a half radiator kit along with forward facing kit. But I imagine you can find a way to get it off without removing the manifold and all that.
Old May 5, 2019, 05:54 AM

Yeah, I scrolled up and realized that after i replied. I will get underneath the car today and see.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XSivPSI

if anyone can clarify, a restrictor was installed on each side port of the opr for this user? Essentially head -> .030 -> opr -> .020 -> turbo?

I was thinking to try just the .030 before the turbo, after the opr. Running the dbb black and she’s a pisser.
Old May 5, 2021, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
if anyone can clarify, a restrictor was installed on each side port of the opr for this user? Essentially head -> .030 -> opr -> .020 -> turbo?

I was thinking to try just the .030 before the turbo, after the opr. Running the dbb black and she’s a pisser.
You only need a single restrictor at the turbo, but check with FP for what size restrictor they recommend for the Black.
Old May 5, 2021, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
You only need a single restrictor at the turbo, but check with FP for what size restrictor they recommend for the Black.
Thanks, pretty much what I was thinking.

For those running without balance shafts, where would a good oil return be? The oil cap would “work” just looks ugly. I was thinking maybe the old stm oil dipstick with the AN fitting welded?
Old May 5, 2021, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, pretty much what I was thinking.

For those running without balance shafts, where would a good oil return be? The oil cap would “work” just looks ugly. I was thinking maybe the old stm oil dipstick with the AN fitting welded?
Not many options on stock engine...
  • Oil Cap
  • Inspection hole on front of block (fitting from STM)
  • Front valve cover (fitting from STM)
  • Oil dipstick
I initially ran mine to the front valve cover hole using the STM -6an press in fitting, but have since routed it to a fitting on my custom oil pan. The return from the OPR is pressurized so it doesn't require gravity to properly drain, which means you can mount the OPR lower than the return point.

This is my return on the GTR...

Old May 5, 2021, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Inspection hole easiest IMO, but can it still be used if my block has balance shafts deleted? I’m not sure if the oil passages were blocked etc during the balance shaft delete, I guess that’s where I’m ignorant and where I’m stuck, if I (can) use inspection hole or not. Nice setup 240!
Old May 5, 2021, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Inspection hole easiest IMO, but can it still be used if my block has balance shafts deleted? I’m not sure if the oil passages were blocked etc during the balance shaft delete, I guess that’s where I’m ignorant and where I’m stuck, if I (can) use inspection hole or not. Nice setup 240!
The inspection hole is just that, an inspection hole, which is used to determine phasing of the balance shaft by inserting a screwdriver. It has nothing to do with your oil passages and is just an access port to the block so you can drain there with or without balance shafts.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure regulator for Ball bearing turbochargers