Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 oil pump

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 oil pump

Hey i just bought a evo 9 a month ago. Ive got a question about the oil pump and rear balance shaft (the one by the intake manifold). I drove the car around and found oil all over the timing belt side. I noticed there was no belt on balance shaft and no gasket behind the gear. My balance shaft was out of the engine and rattling. Im able to pull the shaft out of the engine. My question is does the oil pump hold the balance shaft in or does the gasket. I can't find anything online about it. Im keeping the balance shafts in. I gotta order a belts and pulleys. Just wanted to know if i needed a oil pump. Evo has 55k on the body and 30k on the 2.3 engine. Belts were changed when motor was rebuilt. Any help would be appriciated thanks

heres a pic of the gear im talking about
Old Sep 26, 2018, 07:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That shaft isn't driven by the oil pump. I wouldn't put a belt in it. The engine probably has the front shaft deleted, and it's common practice to leave the rear shaft in, but leave the belt off, to help control oil pressure.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That shaft isn't driven by the oil pump. I wouldn't put a belt in it. The engine probably has the front shaft deleted, and it's common practice to leave the rear shaft in, but leave the belt off, to help control oil pressure.

okay thank you. So i just need a new balance shaft gasket to keep it in place? I don't want it to come out of the engine again.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by lavallainc
okay thank you. So i just need a new balance shaft gasket to keep it in place? I don't want it to come out of the engine again.
It shouldn't be coming out of the engine. The balance shaft is larger than the hole in the oil pump cover.

Please take pictures of what is coming out of the engine right there so we can better advise.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Sep 26, 2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
It shouldn't be coming out of the engine. The balance shaft is larger than the hole in the oil pump cover.

Please take pictures of what is coming out of the engine right there so we can better advise.

Heres a pic of the shaft out of the engine. Im able to pull it right out. Do i need a new oil pump housing or should i remove the shaft and plug the hole?

Old Sep 26, 2018, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Wait, your balance shaft comes through your oil pump case? Did someone drill out that hole?
I'll take a closer look at my spare when I get home.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Sep 26, 2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Wait, your balance shaft comes through your oil pump case? Did someone drill out that hole?
I'll take a closer look at my spare when I get home.

yeah i can pull the balance shaft right through the case. I can't tell if its been drilled or if something else happened. Its weird but i don't know why someone would drill it out. im thinking about removing the balance shaft and plug the hole.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 08:25 PM
EvoM Guru

You need to replace the front case/oil pump. It's broken. That's not supposed to happen.

While it's off, you need to see if the balance shaft bearings are rolled to block off the oil ports or not. If they're not, the balance shaft needs to to be installed, the new oil pump comes with the seal.

If the bearings are rolled, you can leave the shaft out, and put the rubber plug in the hole (in the new pump) that is an OEM part.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Here is my spare with a plug.

Old Sep 26, 2018, 09:45 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Holy ****, that's crazy.

Unfortunately, changing oil pumps is time consuming. Have all your gaskets and a tube of Hondabond ready. Can be done in a day or two.
Good luck, dude! Not too hard but definitely not fun.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 06:08 AM

Thanks guys for your help. Im gunna order all the parts i need. Im gunna do all the pulleys and belts. Is there anything you recommend to change while i have this engine all apart? Thanks again
Old Sep 27, 2018, 07:54 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by lavallainc
Thanks guys for your help. Im gunna order all the parts i need. Im gunna do all the pulleys and belts. Is there anything you recommend to change while i have this engine all apart? Thanks again
Sounds like you have it pretty much handled.

**edit: if in your budget, if I'd suggest timing belt tools. I have the AMS pieces. One holds the cam gears in place, one compresses the hydraulic timing belt tensioner (you won't need it, of you're swapping the tensioner) and the Jay racing tool for the other timing tensioner. They help a LOT. Actually, you kinda have the Jay Racing part, or something similar.
Also, I'd download a copy of the FSM if you haven't already and/or aren't sure of the timing belt procedure and/or which gaskets you need blah blah

Last edited by kaj; Sep 27, 2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
Sounds like you have it pretty much handled.

**edit: if in your budget, if I'd suggest timing belt tools. I have the AMS pieces. One holds the cam gears in place, one compresses the hydraulic timing belt tensioner (you won't need it, of you're swapping the tensioner) and the Jay racing tool for the other timing tensioner. They help a LOT. Actually, you kinda have the Jay Racing part, or something similar.
Also, I'd download a copy of the FSM if you haven't already and/or aren't sure of the timing belt procedure and/or which gaskets you need blah blah

thanks for the tip ill order the tools. Perfect time for 15% off ebay lol