Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATS twin plate metal - failed after 1 yr

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ATS twin plate metal - failed after 1 yr

My clutch worn out badly, used it for abt 1 yr 2 months with only 3 4 time launches. the pad is about 50% but the teeth all gone. anyone face similar issue?
my torq is about 65kg.

worn out very badly within 1yr 2month.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Driving an unsprung clutch on the street will do that. Happens to the exedy triple and the QM twins also. Get a sprung clutch and move on.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Yup, after seeing this appear in many unsprung clutches I'd agree on it being a street driving thing rather than a manufacturer or install defect. You need a spring in that clutch disk to absorb the back and forth engagement, vibration, harmonics, for real longevity. Solid disk clutches are for the race track only and since people are driving the car so hard on the track, it lets the friction material wear out faster than the hub splines. I don't know of a single common OEM who includes solid hub clutches in their manual cars. It would rape their warranty department lol.

I'm assuming that your torque value is 65 kg-m? This is about 470 ft-lb. There are much smoother sprung clutches to drive on that can handle that torque and last longer.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:49 PM

i dd on my prev rex with triple carbon carbonetics which lasted 4 years with no issues. So it came to a shock when this lasted only 1yr 2months.
it doesnt slip or lock out in high rpm, had to get the evo towed.

Last edited by inin36; Nov 9, 2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 03:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Driving an unsprung clutch on the street will do that. Happens to the exedy triple and the QM twins also. Get a sprung clutch and move on.
I have been running an exedy triple for almost a year now.
Seems OK so far. Not a daily driven, but it is a street car.

Will check on its condition after I put more miles on it.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
It is not the specific feature of being sprung or not, that damages a clutch, either driven on track, or on the street. It is the actual design, materials used, and construction of a particular clutch system that becomes inadequate to handle certain torque under certain conditions.

I have used various types of clutches through the years, single, twins, triple, sprung and unsprung, only street driven, and the car has been modified powerwise and not just, from day one, and for the most part of the years that I own my evo it was used as a daily. Currently and still on a QM 8-leg race version, great clutch for what it is made to do, falls a bit short on the power I run on the car right now, otherwise all is good. Changed disks on it 4-5 years ago, the first set of disks lasted enough miles for a street driven race version track clutch.

Marios

Old Nov 15, 2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Evo9_Dubai
I have been running an exedy triple for almost a year now.
Seems OK so far. Not a daily driven, but it is a street car.

Will check on its condition after I put more miles on it.
triple carbon or metal? any noise when you downshift on high rpm?

Originally Posted by Evo8cy
It is not the specific feature of being sprung or not, that damages a clutch, either driven on track, or on the street. It is the actual design, materials used, and construction of a particular clutch system that becomes inadequate to handle certain torque under certain conditions.

I have used various types of clutches through the years, single, twins, triple, sprung and unsprung, only street driven, and the car has been modified powerwise and not just, from day one, and for the most part of the years that I own my evo it was used as a daily. Currently and still on a QM 8-leg race version, great clutch for what it is made to do, falls a bit short on the power I run on the car right now, otherwise all is good. Changed disks on it 4-5 years ago, the first set of disks lasted enough miles for a street driven race version track clutch.

Marios
whats the price tag for QM 8-leg race version and how long have you been using it?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 07:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by inin36
triple carbon or metal? any noise when you downshift on high rpm?whats the price tag for QM 8-leg race version and how long have you been using it?
http://bfy.tw/KtBT