Question about Head Gasket - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question about Head Gasket

Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:32 AM

Question about Head Gasket

Hello guys. On stock block if you open the cylinder head to change the head bolts what gasket you should replace? the oem or anything after market? Its for an evo ix. i think the oem thickness is 1.20mm? Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

You're wasting your time installing head studs with stock connecting rods in it. A tune that will keep the rods inside won't lift the head either.

But, to answer your question, yes, just use an OEM gasket. And get the head resurfaced.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:45 AM

Well i am planning to change valve springs retainers etc thats why some said to open the cylinder head. Some said to change them with without getting out the head. Is this any problem? To change them like this
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

It's pretty easy to valve springs and retainers without pulling the head. I've done several. You use compressed air or the rope method to hold the valve in place, works very well. Theres a few DIY threads on it. This is the tool to use..

https://www.euroexportinc.com/mitsub...ng-compressor/
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
It's pretty easy to valve springs and retainers without pulling the head. I've done several. You use compressed air or the rope method to hold the valve in place, works very well. Theres a few DIY threads on it. This is the tool to use..

https://www.euroexportinc.com/mitsub...ng-compressor/
so its better for me not to open the cylinder head right? i ll change only valve springs and retainers with air!! i ll follow your advice <3
Old Jan 11, 2019, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

That's my recommendation, yes
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:55 PM

Just changed valve springs and retainers with head still on a couple of days ago without using air or rope. Valves won't fall on cylinders 1 and 4 on tdc. Just rotate engine to do cylinders 2 and 3.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo4life94 View Post
Just changed valve springs and retainers with head still on a couple of days ago without using air or rope. Valves won't fall on cylinders 1 and 4 on tdc. Just rotate engine to do cylinders 2 and 3.
I feel this is safest way for first timers. This is what I did because if any valve falls in, then you will have to remove the head. Drawback with this is it is more work and will need timing to be reset unless you mark your timing belt and each sprocket to take away any guess work (crank pulley always seen to be off by 1/2 tooth, which is VERY annoying!!).
Old Jan 13, 2019, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I feel this is safest way for first timers. This is what I did because if any valve falls in, then you will have to remove the head. Drawback with this is it is more work and will need timing to be reset unless you mark your timing belt and each sprocket to take away any guess work (crank pulley always seen to be off by 1/2 tooth, which is VERY annoying!!).
There's marks for all the pulleys. No need to mark the belt to the pulley. Just have to set the crank back a smidge to account for the tensioner taking up slack.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.