Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

For set up

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For set up

can I swap the two labeled Connecticut/plug. I need to run the return on the side instead of bottom for clearance issues or does the return have to be run on the bottom port
Old Mar 18, 2019, 02:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
No, the bottom port is the return. The side ports are in/out flow only, not the return.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
now wait a minute... what you mean in/out flow...

i thought the ports on the sides were IN... and the one on the bottom is the return.
what you mean by OUT
?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by hutch959
now wait a minute... what you mean in/out flow...

i thought the ports on the sides were IN... and the one on the bottom is the return.
what you mean by OUT
?
i have mine setup as in and out.

In is the fuel line supply from pumps

out is to rail that is only fed on one end and the other side of the rail is capped

return is from the bottom of the regulator
Old Mar 18, 2019, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo

i have mine setup as in and out.

In is the fuel line supply from pumps

out is to rail that is only fed on one end and the other side of the rail is capped

return is from the bottom of the regulator
Yep that is one way to do it. Probably the more common way. The other way requires a fuel rail with an in and out, both ends not capped. Fuel pump to fuel rail, out other end of fuel rail to regulator, cap one side on the regulator and bottom is return to tank. I like this way better cause the rail sees constant flow of fuel. Doesnt run into a wall and sit there heating up like the way you said.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Yep that is one way to do it. Probably the more common way. The other way requires a fuel rail with an in and out, both ends not capped. Fuel pump to fuel rail, out other end of fuel rail to regulator, cap one side on the regulator and bottom is return to tank. I like this way better cause the rail sees constant flow of fuel. Doesnt run into a wall and sit there heating up like the way you said.
This is definitely the right way to do it. You don't want your fuel getting even hotter than it already is. If your fuel rail doesn't have an outlet port I'd just drill and tap it.

To answer OP, no, you cannot as stated above.

Incase you're curious as to why maybe this pic will help, as most FPRs are designed this way:

Old Mar 19, 2019, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

The FPR has two inlets so they can run on a V engine and regulates pressure from 2 rails. When you run fuel through one end of the rail and out the other you are heating up 100% of the fuel. However, when you cap one end of the rail then a certain portion of the fuel bypass the rail and not exposed to the heat.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Mar 19, 2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
good information...
i dont know why you would not want a flow through fuel rail... but i understand the explanation.

thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 05:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought the fuel was being mostly heated by the fuel pump.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I originally changed the setup because the fuel was getting heated up badly and causing pump cavitation so I was doing anything I could to help reduce fuel temps. Turns out it was the Squash Double Pumper that had the pump inlets squashed against the bottom of the tank, which caused the pumps to run super hot, heated up the fuel, and ultimately the pumps wouldn't flow. So there are a couple of things to think about when talking fuel temperature.

Fuel pumps don't like hot fuel and will lose flow if the fuel gets too hot
Fuel has better atomization (particle size decreases) as temperature is increased
Fuel temp variation has negligible affect on charge temps in the case of gasoline