Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Taper on Block Deck

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 09:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Taper on Block Deck

I had a shortblock built by a shop (has aftermarket pistons, rods, stock Evo 88mm crank, bored 0.20" over 4G63 Evo 8 block) and noticed at TDC one piston stuck out a little higher than the rest while it was on my engine stand.

I checked TDC with a dial gauge and measured both Cyl 1 and 4, and got 0.004" above piston deck on Cyl 1 and 0.011" above piston deck on Cyl 4, there's about a 0.007" taper from one side to another. From North -> South (intake to exhaust) there's nearly zero change, the taper is from East -> West. I made sure to account for the piston rocking back and forth within the bore by setting my dial gauge in the dead center of the piston (values only changed by less than 0.001" when rocking piston). I had a local machine shop confirm my measurements.

Will this taper give any issues once the car is running? I'm building my Evo as a fun HPDE car with a FP Green, aiming to make 400-450~ whp on E85 and don't want to waste my time assembling this motor if it's going to give me a issue later down the line.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Not sure how keen I'd been on running that. Not sure exactly how it's going to play out, but I can take some guesses.

Thought i'd share this with you in case you don't already have it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
deck_inspect.pdf (177.2 KB, 0 views)
Old Apr 20, 2019, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeesh
How did they hold the block when milling it?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 06:39 PM

I have no idea. Local machine shop said it was likely milled at the oil pan rails instead of the mains. Less time to setup but possibility of taper. I'm a little concerned it could affect head gasket sealing. I'd rather just make sure it's not going to affect anything rather than assembling the motor, and having a issue later down the line due to careless machine work that'll be blamed on a bad tune or whatever.

At this point, it's even making me question the clearances and the rest of the motor (as in they just slapped it together without giving any ****s and sent it out ASAP once the check cleared) if they didn't catch that before shipping it back to me. It's a pretty reputable shop in the Evo/DSM world too.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 07:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,323 Posts
If the deck was tapered, each piston would be progressively more out of the deck. Sounds like the one piston has the pin height off, or that rod is slightly long, or the stroke on that throw of the crank is slightly long.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
Apex Hunter (Apr 25, 2019), wht95scort (Apr 22, 2019)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:55 PM

That's actually what's happening. With my dial gauge setup just checking for differences in height between each piston (not measuring distance from deck), measurements seem consistent and repeatable even if my gauge setup isn't fixed, and I made sure to set TDC. I did some creative MS paint work to remove the logos off the piston face, but can assure you they're centered as best as possible to the piston (and the gauge placed in the same location every time).

Cyl 1

Cyl 2

Cyl 3

Cyl 4

Cyl 1: 0.0015" (set this closest to zero being the lowest)
Cyl 2: 0.0025"
Cyl 3: 0.0065"
Cyl 4: 0.0110"
The following users liked this post:
Apex Hunter (Apr 25, 2019)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,323 Posts
Yeah. You can't run that. Send it back..