Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Competition Stage 3 Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Competition Stage 3 Clutch Issue

Hi

My friend's Evo 8 got a new Comp Stage 3 clutch put in and after the break-in period and more mileage (around a total of 700km) there were some issues where the shifter was hesitant to go into 1st or even other gears like 4th, 5th or 6th at times. There is no pattern in which occurs and happens very randomly.

We got the clutch checked out and the pressure plate seems to be warped. Any suggestions as to why something like this would happen in such a short mileage period????

PS:The car hasn't been launched once on this clutch.

Below are some images of the clutch disc, flywheel and the pressure plate.

Old May 22, 2019, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I remember initially Competition clutches were praised hard, then miles started to be put onto them and now I'm seeing post trickling in about issues with the clutch. Was your flywheel new/resurfaced when you installed it? Also try reaching out to competition clutch to see if they will do anything.
Old May 22, 2019, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I remember initially Competition clutches were praised hard, then miles started to be put onto them and now I'm seeing post trickling in about issues with the clutch. Was your flywheel new/resurfaced when you installed it? Also try reaching out to competition clutch to see if they will do anything.

Yes. The flywheel was resurfaced. I sent out an email to Competition also, didn't get a reply yet.
Old May 22, 2019, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Was the clutch pedal adjusted properly before and after break in?

Sounds like it was dragging to me.
Old May 22, 2019, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Nothing looks wrong in the pictures. Probably needed to adjust the clutch pedal.
Old May 22, 2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
Was the clutch pedal adjusted properly before and after break in?

Sounds like it was dragging to me.
No. Didn't adjust the clutch after the break-in period. Do you think that was the issue. And at times recently on slopes or when the clutch gets loaded the the car shudders like the clutch is slipping for a moment. What do you think is the issue?
Old May 23, 2019, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jayanaka
No. Didn't adjust the clutch after the break-in period. Do you think that was the issue. And at times recently on slopes or when the clutch gets loaded the the car shudders like the clutch is slipping for a moment. What do you think is the issue?
On my 6 puck act clutch I would get shudders when starting from a stop on a hill. Not so much at all on single discs.
Old May 23, 2019, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
I run the ACT 6 puck as well and when you start on a hill you have to slip the clutch more versus starting on a flat road. This increased slippage causes the clutch to heat up, which causes it to engage the flywheel and pressure plate more aggressively. It is fine on a slope if you get it going quick, but after you slip it a few times on a slope the clutch engagement will be more on/off because it just wants to grab and not slip resulting in clutch chatter (car shuddering). Just don't get stuck in stop and go traffic on a slope and you will be fine. Otherwise, have fun!
Old May 23, 2019, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like normal behavior. The Comp Stage 3 was the worst clutch I have ever dealt with. I do not recommend it to anyone I personally like. The drivability was just really bad. I have since gone with a full face disk from a different company and I am 100% happier.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I run the ACT 6 puck as well and when you start on a hill you have to slip the clutch more versus starting on a flat road. This increased slippage causes the clutch to heat up, which causes it to engage the flywheel and pressure plate more aggressively. It is fine on a slope if you get it going quick, but after you slip it a few times on a slope the clutch engagement will be more on/off because it just wants to grab and not slip resulting in clutch chatter (car shuddering). Just don't get stuck in stop and go traffic on a slope and you will be fine. Otherwise, have fun!
Originally Posted by Kada__85
Sounds like normal behavior. The Comp Stage 3 was the worst clutch I have ever dealt with. I do not recommend it to anyone I personally like. The drivability was just really bad. I have since gone with a full face disk from a different company and I am 100% happier.
So it seems that the shuddering is normal for this clutch. By the looks of it does the clutch look that it can be r-used??
Old May 23, 2019, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
So it seems that the shuddering is normal for this clutch. By the looks of it does the clutch look that it can be r-used??
clutch chatter is normal on puck style clutches so not unexpected. Whether it is good to run can't be ascertained by pictures since we can feel the surface of the pressure plate. For the disc you need to make sure the puck surfaces are flat and not grooved. You then need to measure the total thickness and compare it against the thickness new vs the min thickness allowed, which will tell you how much life is left in the disk. Regarding the pressure plate, if the surface is wavy or grooved then you need to purchase a new pressure plate. There are companies that can disassemble and surface the pressure plate, but I wouldn't personally do that. If those spots are just hot spots and the surface is still flat then I typically just get a 2" scotch brite disk on an angle grinder and lightly scuff the surface. I'm sure some folks will chime in and say you can't do that, but I have never had a problem taking that approach. I recently had hot spots on my pressure plate after going through an organic full face clutch and I just hit it with a 2" scotch brite disc (I think the medium one) and now run the 6 puck ACT with no problems.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:32 PM

clutch chatter is normal on puck style clutches so not unexpected. Whether it is good to run can't be ascertained by pictures since we can feel the surface of the pressure plate. For the disc you need to make sure the puck surfaces are flat and not grooved. You then need to measure the total thickness and compare it against the thickness new vs the min thickness allowed, which will tell you how much life is left in the disk. Regarding the pressure plate, if the surface is wavy or grooved then you need to purchase a new pressure plate. There are companies that can disassemble and surface the pressure plate, but I wouldn't personally do that. If those spots are just hot spots and the surface is still flat then I typically just get a 2" scotch brite disk on an angle grinder and lightly scuff the surface. I'm sure some folks will chime in and say you can't do that, but I have never had a problem taking that approach. I recently had hot spots on my pressure plate after going through an organic full face clutch and I just hit it with a 2" scotch brite disc (I think the medium one) and now run the 6 puck ACT with no problems.
I see. Thanks for the info. Ill check the disc and the pressure plate
Old May 24, 2019, 10:15 AM

Got the clutch disc and pressure plate checked out. Everything appears to be alright. Will be putting everything back together.

When adjusting the clutch it should done from the pedal right??
Old May 24, 2019, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, there's a locking nut and you just turn the small rod to adjust it. Video on Jack's transmission website on a more thorough how to adjust for it.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Yea, there's a locking nut and you just turn the small rod to adjust it. Video on Jack's transmission website on a more thorough how to adjust for it.
Thanks man. Ill check it