Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rod Bearing Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 07:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Those looks great for 127k. Just give the crank a good feel, make sure it doesn't need polished.

And check clearance on the new bearings.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. Will do.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW on a stock crank I've had my best results with OE bearings. The difference in shell thicknesses is a couple tenths and you can set your clearances exactly where you want them. The bigger detractor is cost where OE is around 30$ a journal.

The King and ACL race bearings are clearanced for the increased fillet radius on aftermarket cranks. When using these with aftermarket rods it is important to check crush as they add crush and some rod manufacturers add crush also. The stack up creates problems.

Shoe
Old Jun 4, 2019, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by pshooter
FWIW on a stock crank I've had my best results with OE bearings. The difference in shell thicknesses is a couple tenths and you can set your clearances exactly where you want them. The bigger detractor is cost where OE is around 30$ a journal.

The King and ACL race bearings are clearanced for the increased fillet radius on aftermarket cranks. When using these with aftermarket rods it is important to check crush as they add crush and some rod manufacturers add crush also. The stack up creates problems.

Shoe
I've found that rod bigends should always be measured. On everything other than Carrillo, I've ran into sizing issues and had to have them resized. I shoot for minimum ID on the big end for max crush, and then mix/match standard and HX shells or have the crank polished down to get the clearance I want.
The following users liked this post:
ronaldo9 (Jun 4, 2019)