Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help with 450 Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with 450 Fuel pump

Hey so i have a question about buy the 450 fuel pump. i read a few forums that when u install the 450 fuel pump u have to customize it to fit it to the oem pump holder. like i might to trim a few of the plastic pieces to make the fuel pump fit. is that true. also would i need the rewired kit? Also i want to go E85 and regular fuel. What do i need to make it compatiable? help a brother out. Thanks

So pretty much is this kit a plug and play kit meaning i dont have to cut or trim the fuel pump holder if that make sense.

The kit i plan on getting if i need to rewired it.
https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...e-deal-evo-4-9
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
That kit is exactly what you want and comes with what you need. The rewire is necessary if you want to access the full potential of the pump. You still have to cut material off the bottom of the fuel pump hanger because this walbro pump is shaped differently than the oem pump and won't allow the fuel pump retainer to clip on correctly. There are a few write ups on here that show you how to do that. You might also need to drill out the fuel return venturi pump/siphon tube so that you don't overrun the stock FPR.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:27 AM

Oh thanks for the information bro. taking out the fuel line hard?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Kong Vaj
Oh thanks for the information bro. taking out the fuel line hard?

No problem. It's not too bad, on the sender side it has an SAE quick disconnect fitting with two sides that you have to pinch hard before you can remove it. The return side is a hose with a clamp and it helps to rotate it back and forth on the nozzel before pushing it off.
The following users liked this post:
Kong Vaj (Jul 18, 2019)
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pal215
No problem. It's not too bad, on the sender side it has an SAE quick disconnect fitting with two sides that you have to pinch hard before you can remove it. The return side is a hose with a clamp and it helps to rotate it back and forth on the nozzel before pushing it off.
Cool thanks alot bro.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
You will definitely need to rewire it, the 450 has very high current requirements compared to the OEM one or even a 255. I have my 12v+ wired directly to the battery with 10awg and the ground is being switched by a 40A relay.
And yes you will have to trim the plastic. Some good snips will make short work of it, but be careful, a new one is very expensive if you **** it up. An alternative is to buy an aftermarket hanger however those are also quite expensive.
Kong Vaj (Jul 18, 2019)
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
You will definitely need to rewire it, the 450 has very high current requirements compared to the OEM one or even a 255. I have my 12v+ wired directly to the battery with 10awg and the ground is being switched by a 40A relay.
And yes you will have to trim the plastic. Some good snips will make short work of it, but be careful, a new one is very expensive if you **** it up. An alternative is to buy an aftermarket hanger however those are also quite expensive.

Okay cool thanks for the info. I try not to **** up lol
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Okay cool thanks for the info. I try not to **** up lol
Its not super hard just try to cut as little as possible. I ****ed up and cut too much, it still worked fine for the 450 but I had to make further modifications to make it work.
Kong Vaj (Jul 18, 2019)
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:48 AM

Btw since im doing the fuel pump. I would be good for me to get a fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator also right?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Btw since im doing the fuel pump. I would be good for me to get a fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator also right?
Not necessary, I had no problems with OEM rail and regulator. Only reason I went to something else was so it'd be easier to plumb in my fuel pressure sensor and flex fuel stuff. (Plus it looks cool :P)

Might be worth changing the soft lines to something that can handle E85. Many people on here have had no problems, but I personally have so YMMV.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:36 PM

Not necessary, I had no problems with OEM rail and regulator. Only reason I went to something else was so it'd be easier to plumb in my fuel pressure sensor and flex fuel stuff. (Plus it looks cool :P)

Might be worth changing the soft lines to something that can handle E85. Many people on here have had no problems, but I personally have so YMMV.
Oh okay for sure thanks man.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Make sure to do a hi/lo voltage rewire with a Hobbs switch. Don't just do a straight hard wire.

No need for regulator, rail, or anything like.
Kong Vaj (Jul 18, 2019)
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Make sure to do a hi/lo voltage rewire with a Hobbs switch. Don't just do a straight hard wire.

No need for regulator, rail, or anything like.
I'm a newbie here so what's with the switch ?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I'm a newbie here so what's with the switch ?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-circuit.html
Old Jul 18, 2019, 01:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Not to hi-jack your thread, but since we're on the relative topic... Has anyone actually had issues with a Walbro 450 using the factory wiring, while on e85?