Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dsg transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the RS3 is an incredible car.
the mechanical adaption kit for engine to tranny including new dualmass flywheel is about 2.2k
you can pick up a DQ500 tranny for anything from 1.5k and up to 3k Choices are audi rs3, ttrs, tiguan, q3. All same box. Diesels have slight different ratios.
then you need new engine mounts, custom driveshafts, and modified propshaft. I would say about 2k
also complete rear diff and subframe and haldex. This I usually pick up complete for about 500.
then you need to modify this subframe to mount on more favoirable locations and then custom rear shafts, about 1k
that's about the mechanical side of things.
Then you need a proper standalone tranmission controller . HTG controller with harness goes for about 1.8k
inevitably their will be some minor costs totalling maybe 1 to 2k.
now all these figures can be very close to the real deal, or it can be way off. All depends if you are completely useless with your hands,
and also depends if you shop correctly.
it does lean towards 10k yes, but I dont think it can even be compared to a sequential. Sequential cost more, drives really crap, noisy, high maintenance, etc, etc,.
I cant wait to get my honda awd DQ500 swap done after driving a rs3. Especially with my 800hp setup!
I'm doing final install now. Will be doing a youtube build.

Old Dec 31, 2020, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Like I said, I think the target audience for a hypothetical DSG swap is the heavily modified street/show crowd. People who don't care about handling. A proper 7-speed dual clutch would make some of the silly giant turbo builds actually driveable on the street.
there is another option.. sell evo, get GTR..
Old Dec 31, 2020, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
there is another option.. sell evo, get GTR..
I have a GTR, which is why this is interesting.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Sequential is the obvious choice for people who race in any form.

Most modded Evos aren't raced, though. A quiet, reliable, OEM-quality dual clutch would be better around town.
Valid points but don't forget what the evo was built for and what makes it engaging to drive. It was a purpose built Rally car. Its got a well designed AWD system. It was never meant to be a smooth ride that shifted well . The DSG path is cool, but tuning it for 20+ hours to drive a fraction as good as an RS3 is a large task. If you want smooth and 600hp+, just buy an OE designed and tuned car. If we had FWD cars , then adding the DSG/Haldex would be a huge improvement .

The 4g63 is an old engine. Adding larger injectors, cams and turbo's make power but have consequences. Its easy to make 500-600hp with these cars. Now, once the Free Valve technology is more affordable and adapted to a 4G63 that would smooth things out considerably. How far down the rabbit hole do you go?

A syncro 5 speed Evo can live well at moderate levels for a period of time. Nothing wrong with that IMO. At a point with any car decisions and goals need to be set.

To the OP, hats off to you Sir for taking the time to design these kits.

Last edited by Abacus; Dec 31, 2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
DSG is so insanely better than the SST now.
I bet u'll change your mind, once HTG will give us DCT470 support
it is on the way ...
Topic closed ...
Old Mar 30, 2021, 06:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by LeXcite
I bet u'll change your mind, once HTG will give us DCT470 support
it is on the way ...
Topic closed ...
There hasn't been an SST reflashing option for over 12 years. Missed the boat by a long shot, and the Evo is no longer sold. Nobody cares anymore.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DC5ITR01
Yes the RS3 is an incredible car.
the mechanical adaption kit for engine to tranny including new dualmass flywheel is about 2.2k
you can pick up a DQ500 tranny for anything from 1.5k and up to 3k Choices are audi rs3, ttrs, tiguan, q3. All same box. Diesels have slight different ratios.
then you need new engine mounts, custom driveshafts, and modified propshaft. I would say about 2k
also complete rear diff and subframe and haldex. This I usually pick up complete for about 500.
then you need to modify this subframe to mount on more favoirable locations and then custom rear shafts, about 1k
that's about the mechanical side of things.
Then you need a proper standalone tranmission controller . HTG controller with harness goes for about 1.8k
inevitably their will be some minor costs totalling maybe 1 to 2k.
now all these figures can be very close to the real deal, or it can be way off. All depends if you are completely useless with your hands,
and also depends if you shop correctly.
it does lean towards 10k yes, but I dont think it can even be compared to a sequential. Sequential cost more, drives really crap, noisy, high maintenance, etc, etc,.
I cant wait to get my honda awd DQ500 swap done after driving a rs3. Especially with my 800hp setup!
I'm doing final install now. Will be doing a youtube build.
hi. Did you end up doing your YouTube build?
Old Nov 7, 2023, 02:16 AM

Yes it was done. Started up. And before the tune, I got very busy. Still haven't found the time. Hopefully by JAN