Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crank and no start issue after storage!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2023, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank and no start issue after storage!

Hello everyone, hoping to gain a little insight into an issue that I’m having.

2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
9,080 miles

This car has been in storage in a climate controlled facility for the past year and a half as I have been away overseas. I attempted to start my Evo for the first time yesterday but was unsuccessful. Received a crank but no start situation.

No check engine light or codes.

All of the old fuel was drained from tank before starting even though a fuel stabilizer was added back when the car went into storage. 10 gallons of fresh fuel was put in into the tank prior to the initial first start attempt.

Disconnected the fuel supply line at the fuel pump and confirmed fuel pump operation and good flow while cranking.

Disconnected the fuel return line at the fuel rail and verified good fuel flow back to tank while cranking.

Spark plugs have been replaced with new units.

Battery is fully charged and in good condition.

Being that this car has sat for a year and a half, might I be looking at stuck or clogged fuel injectors? I attempted several starts with no luck. At that point, I removed all four spark plugs and noticed that they were completely dry, it doesn’t look like fuel is making its way into the combustion chamber.

Is there something that I might be overlooking? Would it make sense to possibly look at replacing fuel injectors? I haven’t yet been able to confirm voltage at the fuel injectors with my back probe kit but that’s my next place to start.

Any insight that can be given would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Old Sep 11, 2023, 11:48 AM

I just referenced this thread, thinking this might be my issue?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-storage.html
Old Sep 11, 2023, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts
I think you are on the right path. I'd probably start with verifying spark since that's easy.
From there, checking that you are getting signal to the injectors is a good step. If you are, there are lots of places to get injectors cleaned for ~$100; probably even one local to you and that would be my next step.
They will have flow data on them post-cleaning so you'll know if they are still an issue or not.

Also, I know you verified fuel is in the return, but it would be good to check fuel pressure if everything else checks out too.

Did you have ethanol fuel; either E-85 or regular pump that isn't ethanol free? The E is hard on injectors and causing more sticking issues. I get mine cleaned every other year or so just for peace of mind but I run E-85 basically the whole summer minus a tank of 91 no E gas at the end of the year for storage.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Its worth it to pull the injectors out and send them to be cleaned and rebalanced. RC injectors will also include new seals.
The following users liked this post:
schuhie (Sep 12, 2023)
Old Sep 11, 2023, 06:01 PM

Hey Schuhie!

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it greatly!

I will definitely verify spark the next time I have a chance to work on my Evo. That was less testing step that I was going to do before confirming that I have a fuel issue.

I was thinking about investing in a “noid” light to see if I have a signal going to the injectors but I have a feeling that the car has been sitting for so long and didn’t have any issues before then that I am looking at clogged/stuck injectors.

Thanks for the tip about repair facilities being able to clean injectors, I didn’t know that that was possible. I’ll certainly look into that!

Does an Evo IX have a Schrader valve for testing fuel pressure? Is there anything like that on the fuel rail?

Being that I live in Arizona, I’m using 91 octane fuel that certainly isn’t ethanol free. I believe it’s 10/15% or so. I have heard that ethanol is certainly hard on the injectors, especially E-85.

Lastly, is there any recommendations when replacing fuel injectors? I would assume that both the top and bottom rubber O-ring need to be replaced with new units upon disassembly, is that correct?

Cheers!

Last edited by EvolutionRacing; Sep 11, 2023 at 06:22 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolutionRacing
Hey Schuhie!

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it greatly!

I will definitely verify spark the next time I have a chance to work on my Evo. That was less testing step that I was going to do before confirming that I have a fuel issue.

I was thinking about investing in a “noid” light to see if I have a signal going to the injectors but I have a feeling that the car has been sitting for so long and didn’t have any issues before then that I am looking at clogged/stuck injectors.

Thanks for the tip about repair facilities being able to clean injectors, I didn’t know that that was possible. I’ll certainly look into that!

Does an Evo IX have a Schrader valve for testing fuel pressure? Is there anything like that on the fuel rail?

Being that I live in Arizona, I’m using 91 octane fuel that certainly isn’t ethanol free. I believe it’s 10/15% or so. I have heard that ethanol is certainly hard on the injectors, especially E-85.

Lastly, is there any recommendations when replacing fuel injectors? I would assume that both the top and bottom rubber O-ring need to be replaced with new units upon disassembly, is that correct?

Cheers!
Hey, no problem.

Yea, spark is an easy test just to verify its a fuel issue.
I probably wouldn't bother with a noid light it you have to buy one, just pull the injectors and get them cleaned. It's cheap enough that its worth while basically either way at this point.

Yea, I did a quick google for injector cleaning in phoenix and there is a number of them.

There is no Schrader valve or anything, it takes an adapter to test; again, if you don't have it I would skip right to injector cleaning.

If the fuel you use has ethanol, that makes me even more suspicious of stuck injectors. One more reason to get them cleaned lol.

The seals only need to be replaced if they are ripped or "hard". It is probably worth having some on hand to replace them or as the other response said, some places that clean them will have seals there to replace them if needed. That is probably the type or place I would look for.

Keep us updated with how it goes and I'll keep trying to help out.