Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

9.8t titanium turbos vs 10.5, what is this?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
As far as I know, there are NO plans to bring any titanium units to the US on any 05 models. They all will be steel units. The titanium units build boost almost 1000rpms sooner than the steel units.
I'd like to see a material change that improves spool by 1000 rpm. That sounds a little too much to me.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

man my left foot has more knowledge then anyone at the dealer has... but those engineer aren't too bright either... but thats another story
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marksae
I'd like to see a material change that improves spool by 1000 rpm. That sounds a little too much to me.
It's 700 or 750 RPMs, actually. I'll let you know after I install mine on my RS, right now it's at like 3500RPMs full boost....
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
If thats sarcasm it is possible, the titanium disipates heat alot better then cast iron and in turn makes for denser air. And improves the efficiency of the turbo all around...
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a 9.8ti, we'll see how much lower the spool is on an otherwise identical turbo to the USDM 9.8..
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

How much are the titanium rotating assemblies and where can I get one? Are these direct replacements for the factory parts or are the bearing clearances etc different?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1QWKEVO
man my left foot has more knowledge then anyone at the dealer has... but those engineer aren't too bright either... but thats another story
I find it funny how people always look at a few bad things about the EVO and deem all MMC engineers not being bright. If they weren't bright, then why are our EVOs such kick a$$ cars to drive? Some people must be doing something right over there.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Fenris Ulf
How much are the titanium rotating assemblies and where can I get one? Are these direct replacements for the factory parts or are the bearing clearances etc different?
I bought the unit from a vendor in Taiwan.. Brand new and complete, so it wasn't an upgrade or a modified stock unit.. But there's alot to be said for the stock turbo and even the Ti Turbo.. I think too many people are too quick to upgrade to bigger and better, and never optimize what they have.. (given several realistic factors such as expense and time)
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I bought the unit from a vendor in Taiwan.. Brand new and complete, so it wasn't an upgrade or a modified stock unit.. But there's alot to be said for the stock turbo and even the Ti Turbo.. I think too many people are too quick to upgrade to bigger and better, and never optimize what they have.. (given several realistic factors such as expense and time)
I completly agree there are two Evo's at Boost Solutions that are both running in the high 11's (11.8 and 11.9) both on the stock turbo in 90 degree heat. After one ride in one of them it made really think about a turbo upgrade and how much there still is power to be had in the stock turbo.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

THis is all very interesting. I'd like to hear from someone that has one of those titanium wheeled turbos installed on their U.S. Evo VIII. Anyone, anyone?!
Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I believe TurboMaestro sells the Ti turbos...
Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Zeus
I believe TurboMaestro sells the Ti turbos...
WORD! Check the link
http://stores.ebay.com/TurboMaestro_...isplayZ2QQtZkm BUT I only have five left, oh no!!!

Last edited by TurboMaestro; Jul 12, 2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
THis is all very interesting. I'd like to hear from someone that has one of those titanium wheeled turbos installed on their U.S. Evo VIII. Anyone, anyone?!
I'd like to say that I have already installed mine, but its a few weeks away.. I don't have the free time I thought I would to get all of this done quickly..
Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:32 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
Haha, wait untill I have my car back from the shop....clear coat defect, the whole rear quarter panel has to be re sprayed...the it's turbo time! best part about it? You can leave the exhaust manifold/turbine housing bolted to the car and just swap out the center sections after you take the cold side/center section out..
Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:35 PM
Account Disabled

The titanium units and the steel units are identical (especially to the prying eyes of the dealer)

Quick Reply: 9.8t titanium turbos vs 10.5, what is this?