Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4th Gear 5k - 7k RPM Shifting Grind

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2004, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Gear 5k - 7k RPM Shifting Grind

I need to know if any of you guys experienced the 4th Gear Grind 5k - 7k rpm range?

It only happens when you go WOT from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and when it hits 4th at around 5k - 7k rpm it always grind, no matter how hard I floor the clutch it still grinds?

But when you wait 1.5 seconds when you put it in 4th it doesnt grind?

Regular driving it doesn't grind either, only when you shift fast to 4th at WOT it grinds all the time.

Is there a solution to this problem? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2004, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ArchieBabes
I need to know if any of you guys experienced the 4th Gear Grind 5k - 7k rpm range?

It only happens when you go WOT from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and when it hits 4th at around 5k - 7k rpm it always grind, no matter how hard I floor the clutch it still grinds?

But when you wait 1.5 seconds when you put it in 4th it doesnt grind?

Regular driving it doesn't grind either, only when you shift fast to 4th at WOT it grinds all the time.

Is there a solution to this problem? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
My Guess,

Appears as if the clutch is going bad and preasure plate is not releasing. I think you need a new clutch.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

my 4th gear is the only gear i've had grid too. and i've only had my car (and clutch) for 3k miles.

i think that it's because the 4th is the most closly ratioed gear - it's just tough to hit it just right.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

snoop,

I only have 7k on the clutch, and I don't launch the car at 4k and above. Never Drag Raced it and pushed it hard.

evolute,

Do you think we have a solution to our problem? Maybe changing the clutch fluid?

What do you guys think? Any tips?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

lancershop.com carries the shorter slave cylinder push rod for a full disengagement but that makes the clutch harder to engage or vice versa? I think i got my self confused..
Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

nah you prolly have what is NOT a rare issue from what i can see with the evo...

bad 5th gear syncro... it happened on my car.. only it would happen even with a normal shift.. it started though with a higher rpm.

dealer covered it- apparently there is a bulliten out about 5th gear syncro goin bad

take it to your dealer and get it fixed.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:29 PM

Talking the grindddd

my car does it in 5 gear, but i'am getting it fixed for free !!
Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JaReDbOy
bad 5th gear syncro... it happened on my car.. only it would happen even with a normal shift.. it started though with a higher rpm.

dealer covered it- apparently there is a bulliten out about 5th gear syncro goin bad

take it to your dealer and get it fixed.
I got it too - only at really high RPM's though. Hadn't looked into a dealer free fix though......
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Any more suggestions to fix the 4th gear high rpm grind?

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Adjust your pedal out.. It will help the disengagement .. I had this same problem, after i did the pedal adjustment things were MUCHHHH better...

Its located right where the pedal meets the firewall. A little 10mm i believe wrench, loosen the nut, grab the metal twig like screw part and twist to the right, then tighten the nut.. Should help some.. worked for me
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

It's the syncros man... There is a Mitsubishi TSB (technical service bulletin) and they will fix it for you under warranty. I had mine done, problem solved. They replaced the 3rd and 5th gear syncros. said the others were fine. Nevre been to the track BTW
Old Jul 29, 2004, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

I've had the 5th gear grind too, but after time it went away now its in 4th gear, do you think with regular driving it will go away too?

Any Mitsubishi Service station that will not harass you in the mods done to your car?

Located here in Los Angeles area.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

I JUST had that problem today actually. I don't know if it was only a today thing...but I was jamming on it hard to pass 7 cars and a semi...I could NOT shift into 4th. I also have the 1-2 grind since day one...and they swear nothing is wrong with it...and in the last few months I have begun to develop the 5th gear grind above 4500 rpms
Old Jul 30, 2004, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

Ive had it grind a couple times when accelerating fast however mines always 2nd gear not 4th or 5th... anyone else having issues at lower gears???
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5th gear sycros problem should be fixed by the dealer. There is a topic thread for this on tranny and engine section.

I grind my 2nd too. I heard it's the restrictor. I hate it.

Quick Reply: 4th Gear 5k - 7k RPM Shifting Grind