Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Hyper Single PLate Clutch... HOLY CRAP!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Hyper Single PLate Clutch... HOLY CRAP!

okay okay... basically im sketching ***** guys. I just had my Exedy Hyper Single PLate cltuch installed with the flywheel, pressure plate, braided clutch line and a new throw bearing. And well.... im sketching because of a few reasons... I got it installed at Super AutoBacs, and the day i received my car, when i pushed in the clutch it was soooooooooo damn short. The clutch pedal was compressed alot more than compared to the stock throw. So where the clutch pedal was sitting without my foot on it, it was only 4 inches to the bottom. It would catch like a *****. Well about a week later, i start to question this short *** throw, and i pulled the clutch pedal back, and WHALA! Its at the normal stock height. I asked a tech. guy at a local car meet if my clutch felt different than his exedy twin plate, and he said no. But he said that at the top of my clutch, there wasn't any play. Well to take care of this, im gonna take it to RMR to have it checked out.

Well today i tried launching my car cuz i did the 500mile break in. I launched at 5000RPM and my car was ****ing shaking like crazy. Imagine you have the stickiest tires ever and its breaking the pavement... thats what it felt like. I don't know if the clutch wasn't catching or if my transmission can't hold all the power.. i honestly don't know. PLEASE HELP GUYS!
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

you have chatter. If you launch this way, you will destroy your diff very quickly. The clutch needs to be adjusted.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uhhhhhhhhh...your clutch pedal should come all the way up when your foot isn't on it. I can't imagine a shop worth its weight in salt that would let a car go out the door like that. However, when you say you "pulled it back" do you mean you adjusted it, or physically just yanked on it? If you just yanked on it, something was binding and it's hard to tell what that is.

As for the shaking, what are you doing launching your car before your clutch is adjusted/installed correctly? Not very smart IMHO but whatever. It's hard to tell what the shaking is you are describing, it could be a slipping clutch, it could be wheel hop from breaking traction, it could be a busted throwout bearing, who knows.

I would first go get your clutch adjusted properly like you said...then worry about launching.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:34 AM
Account Disabled

You just didn't launch your EVO correctly, you are either let your clutch go too fast or too slow, you have to pratice more to get it right. I have the Exedy Twin Plate on my EVO for 4000 miles, it takes some pratice to launch it smooth and fast.

I found my car launches best at about 6300-6500rpm with my Exedy Twin Plate. If you get that right, your EVO should be launched like an electric R/C car with no slip at all, when I got it right, I felt the motor is hooked up to the driveline like an ON/OFF switch, it is F***ing Quick off the line with NO slip at all.

The clutch pedal is usually feel touchy/sensitive after high performance clutch mod. You just have to get use to it. The pedal usually travels much shorter than stock and it will eventually goes up higher/longer when the clutch see more miles on it.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I had my pedal cluth shorted once with my stock clutch, I don't know why. I pulled the pedal with my foot and all came back to normal.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

I had my pedal clutch shorted once with my stock clutch, I don't know why. I pulled the pedal with my foot and all came back to normal.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by k270kmh
I had my pedal clutch shorted once with my stock clutch, I don't know why. I pulled the pedal with my foot and all came back to normal.
the only time I've seen anything like that there was air in the system or something is very wrong with the clutch master cyl
Old Sep 9, 2004, 03:18 PM
Account Disabled

Yeah, i think there might be air trapped inside the clutch fluid.