Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Do you want ACD and AYC on your Evo?
I want ACD
28.18%
I want ACD and AYC
48.18%
They should be options in the near future.
24.55%
AYC isn\'t important to me
14.55%
ACD isn\'t important to me
7.27%
I\'m confused. What are ACD and AYC?
4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Do you want ACD and AYC on your Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2002, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you want ACD and AYC on your Evo?

We've had enough threads debating the impact of ACD and AYC on the Evo's performance. Let's try to avoid making this another one.
Just vote if ACD and AYC are important to you (or not) as a potential future Evo buyer. You can vote for more than one thing.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

I'd like ACD stock. I'm indifferent to AYC at this point.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 05:03 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Actually the question should be which one we care about more:

1) Price under $30K

OR

2) Same as JDM spec except for what's required under US regulations

I don't think we can have both, so I would choose 2!
Old Dec 5, 2002, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

I for one am MORE than willing to pay over $30k for JDM spec.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

I don't really know, I'd actually like ACD but don't care much about AYC. Then again, I'm just gonna have to see how the STi performs.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

I really like the idea of ACD, but from all that I have read here, and at other sources, it is a tricky gizmo, one that American techs are simply not prepared to work on. I am willing to give up 10/10s performance for reliability every day of the week. After 2 years driving an fd, I am very, very tired of not being able to go to the dealer for technical questions. I enjoy working on my own car a great deal, but there comes a point where I would prefer to hand the car off to an expert - one that I trust 100%. Cost is also a factor for me. I really don't want to spend more then $30k on this car...

I have driven GMs and BMWs with yaw control (their version of it anyway) and I don't like it one bit. Unless MMC's version is much better, I would rather do without.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 09:45 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2) Same as JDM spec except for what's required under US regulations
That is what the mitsubishi rep told me during last years car show. Has Mitusbishi changed their minds or perhaps feeding Subaru false infomation? Not giving ACD is a dumb decision even too hard to believe at this point. I'd say we'll wait for the official specs from Mitsubishi and by then we'll know for sure if they were honest to us in the first place. Hopefully, if the specs are dissappointing some whom wish to pull out on order could order for a STI "if that is JDM or euro spec".

I'm for ACD standrad and AYC optional like the JDM models. I dont' mind evo 7 specs on my evo 8 since the rep promised a car like an evo 7 with everything that is able to pass U.S. regulations. Are you monitoring us? Take a look at the polls.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

It would be nice to have them, but maybe they should be options. This would allow those who want an EVO but cant afford to spend upwards of $30,000 to have thier EVO (although even without them, it may be more than $30,000)
Old Dec 6, 2002, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by trigeek37
I really like the idea of ACD, but from all that I have read here, and at other sources, it is a tricky gizmo, one that American techs are simply not prepared to work on. I am willing to give up 10/10s performance for reliability every day of the week. After 2 years driving an fd, I am very, very tired of not being able to go to the dealer for technical questions. I enjoy working on my own car a great deal, but there comes a point where I would prefer to hand the car off to an expert - one that I trust 100%. Cost is also a factor for me. I really don't want to spend more then $30k on this car...

I have driven GMs and BMWs with yaw control (their version of it anyway) and I don't like it one bit. Unless MMC's version is much better, I would rather do without.
Again AYC has nothing to do with other companies yaw control. Similar name different function. I also don't like the brand X yaw control either. AYC is a different deal.

Erik
Old Dec 6, 2002, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Don't really know a whole lot about either system but from what I read I think that it would be a mistake for it to not come with, or at least be an option, the ACD. As for AYC, it would be nice as an option. I would like to drive an EVO that has it to compare performance.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Don't really care much for them (wont mind if offer)!
I just want the same power plant and tranny as the EDM or JDM version for under $29K!
Old Dec 6, 2002, 07:57 AM

I personally want ACD/AYC on the US EVO8. Would not mind if MSRP would be slightly over $30K.

I currently own an S2000 and love it. I knew that it only came in one package (other than the aero kit/hardtop) but still waited 1 year after it came out to buy one just in case. I like the fact of knowing I have all that I can get out of this model. Now I am thinking of buying an EVO....ONLY IF I GET THE REAL DEAL. I understand that HP might be a little less than JDM but that's OK to me.

If will bring the EVO without the complete driving technology that the rest of the world will get, well Subaru will probably find another cutomer for the STi. I recently read on Motor Trend about the US-bound STi according to them that it will be just like the JDM version, but HP/TQ will be slightly less. MT says that 270hp is pretty much confrimed (correct me if I'm wrong).

Just my opinion of course....
Old Dec 6, 2002, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, in the worst case, we can always bring a new EVO from the Europe or elsewhere where they come with the left hand steering and have it over here (US that is) once the US EVO gets released here. Euro version can be made to be same emission wise, but maintain the AYC/ACD combo

Well, almost there...

Mr. AWD
Old Dec 6, 2002, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the only problem with importing one is getting work done on the AYC/ACD in a country where those systems are not available so no one will be trained to deal with them. Otherwise, I would most definitely import a full-spec Evo. I'm just hoping that if the initial shipment doesn't come with those systems (and it does seem to be looking that way), they'll be offered as an option further down the line, but hopefully not TOO far down the line.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 05:33 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

I agree with you there Liandrin11, though I'll be buying from the initial batch. When those options become available, I'll just trade up (or sell it to a private party). I have feeling that these initial Evos will hold their value real well, even when the ACD, AYC, and/or 6 speed become options.

Quick Reply: Do you want ACD and AYC on your Evo?