Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

LHD vs. RHD Windshield

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2005, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHD vs. RHD Windshield

LHD vs. RHD Windshield

Hello,

Does anyone know a left hand drive windshield will fit into a RHD Evo 7 without any fitment issues?

Here in the US, it is impossible to get a Evo 7 RHD windshield unless I want to spend in excess of $600.00 US to have it shipped in. Actually, I had a rally prepare shop order me one from Japan, but it was shattered upon arrival.

Btw, I realize the RS windshield is thinner, but getting a GSR windshield would be less likely to crack.

Thanks in advance.

Adam Auerbach
Evo 7 RS RHD
Old Jan 26, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I think it would fit perfectly. The side of the driver has nothing to do with the windshield. Good luck on your search.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
I think it would fit perfectly. The side of the driver has nothing to do with the windshield. Good luck on your search.
The cowl is reversed though. That is why I'm curious. I may have to pull off the cowl and peak underneath. I know there are different part numbers for LHD and RHD windshields, but that doesn't prove they aren't alike.

Last edited by ivanko; Jan 26, 2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Also the EVO8 windshield would fit perfectly.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 03:50 PM

You you actually tried a LHD Evo 8 windshield on an RHD Evo 7?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Also the EVO8 windshield would fit perfectly.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

it makes no difference if the car is LHD or RHD as far as windshield's goes... the side view mirrors are different... if the block size on an evo 7 is the same as an evo 8 then it'll fit...

thickness is relatively irrelivent because a rock traveling @ 100+ mph is gonna break glass thats 1/4 or 3/16 thick anyways...
Old Jan 30, 2005, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ivanko
You you actually tried a LHD Evo 8 windshield on an RHD Evo 7?

Thanks.
Trust me on this one It would make no difference what so ever. When I changed my window I actually took it from a regular Lancer Cedia at 1/4 of the price and the only thing I had to do was to remove the rear view mirror mounting bracket from the EVO window and put it on the Cedia window since they were different.

What on earth would differ between LHD and RHD you think? All it is is a rather flat piece of glass and the chassis body is the same anyway.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Trust me on this one It would make no difference what so ever. When I changed my window I actually took it from a regular Lancer Cedia at 1/4 of the price and the only thing I had to do was to remove the rear view mirror mounting bracket from the EVO window and put it on the Cedia window since they were different.

What on earth would differ between LHD and RHD you think? All it is is a rather flat piece of glass and the chassis body is the same anyway.
My concern is the shape of the bottom edge of the windshield. If it is symmetrical, no problem. However, if it is asymmetrical, then there is a problem. Have you seen a RHD Evo 7 up close before. Take a close look at the cowl. It is a complete REVERSE of the LHD version.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jadiem
it makes no difference if the car is LHD or RHD as far as windshield's goes... the side view mirrors are different... if the block size on an evo 7 is the same as an evo 8 then it'll fit...

thickness is relatively irrelivent because a rock traveling @ 100+ mph is gonna break glass thats 1/4 or 3/16 thick anyways...
True, but the rock doesn't need to travel as fast to brake the RS thinner window compared to the GSR window, all else being equal.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ivanko
True, but the rock doesn't need to travel as fast to brake the RS thinner window compared to the GSR window, all else being equal.
that is a variable wouldn't come into play unless you were in some type of testing facility...
Old Feb 2, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the reason that there are diff part #'s for left hand and right hand drive windshields is because Germany and U.S., have stricter tules on strength of windshield , than RHD countries. otherwise, they should be the same, even for regular lancers, and evo's , all interchangeable.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
the reason that there are diff part #'s for left hand and right hand drive windshields is because Germany and U.S., have stricter tules on strength of windshield , than RHD countries. otherwise, they should be the same, even for regular lancers, and evo's , all interchangeable.
not just that but every year or so they update the car, the windshield may fit, but they release a new part #... i've changed windshields in cars and trucks that have had 3 different part #s... we just use the newest..
Old Feb 2, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

god evo VII are sweet