Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Warranty Denied? Please respond here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2005, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty Denied? Please respond here

Okay, my evo started making awful sounds when i turned the wheel in motion, evo was towed to dealer. they said the transfer case binded up, but could not open it to verify or it would lose its core value. The request for warranty was submitted to the DPSM (district parts and service manager for mitsubishi motor sales of north america, MMSA) since any warranty work above $500 must be approved by a DPSM. Warranty work was immediatly denied due to, as i have in the statement, "after market clutch voids warranty on driveline parts", a clutch which the Mitsu dealer installed. After discussing the issue with several complaint reps from MMSA, i was told that the policy of MMSA is that any after market component installed on the vehicle immediatly voids the warranty. Now, the DPSM has never seen my car, neither has MMSA. The car is not modified nor has it been altered. But according to MMSA, installing ANY part not purchased through Mitsu will void the entire warranty. When asked to get that statement in writing, I was told "NO", then told that any part not purchased with Mitsu and installed is an alteration to the vehicle, which is clearly stated as not being covered under warranty.*Page 6 "what is not covered"* My only mistake was not spending the high dollar to purchase their clutch, and instead purchased a competitors clutch of equal stature. I appealed to the DPSM, and was denied again. He stated to me that it doesnt matter if the clutch caused the problem or not, the simple fact that I did not use their clutch voids my warranty. This seems to be in direct confliction with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. I have spoken to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) as well as the Tennesse Consumer Protection Agency, as well as two different attorneys, the attorneys seem to agree, with the information I have provided them (warranty denial statement, warranty). The FTC informed me to get as many people to file a complaint with them that have had the same issue, since they only represent the mass, not individuals. If you have installed parts on your evo that have obvious affects on other components, i.e., B.C., fuel computer, Super Heavy duty clutch,etc..., this will not so much pertain to you. I am continueing to pursue this matter, as I have an appt. this next week with the TN Consumer Protection agency. This is a matter of law, that Mitsubishi is stating to consumers that we are not allowed to use comparable, non-MItsu parts without voiding the warranty. I could not get this in writing, just verbally several times by the DPSM complaint reps. This means they have a monopoly on our business to purchase their items in order to keep the warranty we paid for in the first place. Any and all feedback would be helpful. I will continue to post updates as I know. There is a lot more to this issue than what Ive written, but this is the main idea here.

Federal Trade Commission 1-877-382-4357 or online at www.ftc.gov

BREMBO BRAKES UPDATE
P.S.- as of March23, 2005, according to the DPSM, the BREMBO brakes paint flaking, chipping, peeling is now being viewed on a case by case basis, and is no longer being turned down as a wear item. Have the dealer take pics and send to the DPSM for your area. They are advised to know what to look for. This was stated to me today, March 24, 2005, by the DPSM.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of people dont fight it, or they signed a mandatory arbitration waiver when they bought the car. I would personally fight it even if I had to get a lawyer and it cost me more than the repair.
http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...60287&mime=ASC
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss
http://www.mitsubishisucks.com/
http://www.deniedmywarranty.org/index1.html
http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096

Last edited by BuLocal; Mar 24, 2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

good luck with this, i also suggest getting familiar with the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act"

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm
Old Mar 24, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Three numbers to call 3-5-7.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the luck, but fortunately for me and anyone else, this is a matter of law! I, as well as my attorney, are very familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Title 15-Chapter 50-2302 Section C. There are also many state and local laws that protect the consumer from this very type of action taken by Mitsubishi or any other big business. One of the most important things we can do here, as consumers of Mitsubishi's product, is to file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission. They do not act on individual's behalf, only the masses.
I am also aware that I am not the first to attempt to take up this issue with Mitsu, but it is easy to be discouraged when MMSA uses scare tactics and technical jargon talk to discourage the consumer from taking any further action.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

more power to you...how much was the estimate anyways to get it fixed?
Old Mar 25, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

hey, i hope this works out for you. i am sure that if there are things that we can do, then most of us would be willing.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Man that really sucks. My 03 went thru two transfer cases with an aftermarket clutch(ACT) but the dealership warrantied both times but had me sign some form saying that they wouldnt replace a third TC under warranty.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

this contradicts what another evom member posted. DaWorstplaya, I believe, contacted a Mitsu regional manager and was told that an aftermarket clutch would not void the drivetrain warranty. let me see if i can dig that thread up.

edit...here's daworstplaya's thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=120045

Last edited by twinevo; Mar 25, 2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Freehold Mitsubishi in NJ covered both TC's under warranty. If you need further info PM me.

Last edited by mattsevo; Mar 25, 2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

I had a District Manager void my car's warrenty without me even asking to file a claim. If you want more info PM me.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erioshi
I had a District Manager void my car's warrenty without me even asking to file a claim. If you want more info PM me.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

c-town, good luck, the battle is all uphill but you may prevail.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

things like this scare me, i only have an intake dp which i heat wrapped and exhaust and turbo timer which theoretically should have no effect on the warranty but hey mitsu is gay i hope my dealer is cool if i ever have problems, which i hope i dont
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:58 AM

Well, the attorney called MMSA again on Friday to get some answers to some questions he had. They gave him a runaround and conflicting statements. So he his extremly pissed and is now taking this very personal. He left a message with their attorneys. He is sure about a federal law suit, but as far as getting my car fixed, it is 50-50 due to Mitsubishi's use of the word "alteration" which is left to their own interpation. But that is not what the issue is, the issue, once again, is that Mitsu is stating that in order to keep the warranty, the consumer must purchase a Mitsu part. Thanks, everyone, for your responses, keep them coming. Mitsu is conflicting with themselves if they are replacing Tcases for some customers but not others. They need a set guideline for this.

Quick Reply: Warranty Denied? Please respond here