Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Road & Track EVO 8 test numbers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2003, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by S_rangeBrew
5500 works best for me, too. I was bogging at 5000.
I still only get high 1.8x 60ft. times. (sometimes a low 1.9) so I still have room for improvement. Here are a couple of my ideas, tell me what you think.

1. Right now, I just drop the clutch. Maybe I should slip it a little?
Slipping the clutch is a very dangerous thing (for the clutch sake) and you should be very careful with that. Every clutch has a different way it reacts to the slippage. ACT clutches for example, don't last if you try to slip them and only thing you will get is a lot of smoke (not from the tires, unfortunately) and stinky clutch. So far, it seem that the best way to do it is to "drop" the clutch a bit slower than a full release. It has to be a smooth engagement and if you are tentative you will hurt the clutch. It should be like hitting someone straight in the face, but in a slow motion (like 50%).

2. My tires (cheapo Kumho Ectasas) are at full street pressure. Maybe I should deflate them a bit when I race?
Dropping the pressure helps the traction, but also increase the roll resistance later on. My friends usually go down to 19 psi all around. I do different kind of racing and I have to run over 40 psi in there due to the first corner that comes soon after the first 100 feet!

Tell me what you think. I'd really like to get 1.7 60ft times.

Oh, I'm using a ACT2100 clutch and a FP T28 turbo.
There are more things to the car launching than just RPMs. My car was making lots of power last year at the ProSolo Finale in Kansas, but I was having some strange knock (we call it phantom knock) only at the part throttle application and low loads. It was hurting my timing and I was afraid to bump it as far as I usually do. That cost me probably fast times on both sides. Due to lack of timing advance below the 4000 RPMs, every time I would launch the car (5000, 5500 or 6000), car would drop its RPMs to get into the no timing zone and bog badly. My average 100" times where 3.3-3.4 sec and the best I was doing there was 3.9 sec or worse. Short times where in 2.0-2.1 sec from low 1.8s and high 1.7s (that is with the reaction time added to the whole thing). So,basically I was in the situation with too much traction! After ProSolo was done, I bumped the timing extra 5 degrees bellow 4000 RPMs and I had hard time controlling the car of the line due to excessive tire spin

So, you have so many other things to take care of in order to have a good performances for the AWD launch. Another thing that I didn't mention here is your fuel mixture. If you are too rich, that will take a bit of the launch as well. The best thing is to use data logger and see how things are to improve the numbers all around. That will give you the best results!

In your case, combination of the ACT 2100 and (I am guessing, small) T28, should bring you down to 1.7s. Also, this will depend on your other mods, so good luck from my end!

Fedja
Old Feb 4, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by broeli
I don't think people are interested in an Evo to make a drag car BUT what is wrong with being interested in straight line performance?! Last time I checked you are driving in a straight line most of the time. I'm interested in the COMPLETE package. A car that is relatively quick and handles, brakes great. Straight line performance is important whether you want to admit it or not. If I listened to some of you you'd be happy with a car that does 0-60 in 10 secs and the quarter in 19seconds...as long as it handled good. Go get a MP3 or something if your not concerned with the overall package which includes acceleration from a stop and from a roll.
my car does 10sec 0-60s (look below), but it handles like crap
Old Feb 4, 2003, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gtr
I dont think the 350z will ever see anywhere near .97g's stock.
Just because it has **** tires. Why G35 coupe would have better slalom time then 350Z? It has a lot better tires. I bet it would have numbers close to WRX on 16'' and RE92s.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Rafal
Just because it has **** tires. Why G35 coupe would have better slalom time then 350Z? It has a lot better tires. I bet it would have numbers close to WRX on 16'' and RE92s.
Actually this is a very good point here! Tires!! The thing is that US EVO is dressed in some dedicated tires and they might have some relation with the race compound tires. If those tires have extremely good grip, they will show results that are way better then any other car equipped with the regular tires.

This might be one of those tricks to show us how handling of the US EVO is even better then the previous EVO7. Basically, just put race rubber on the car!! Hmmmmm....

Fedja
Old Feb 4, 2003, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

I am afraid both STi and EVO are doing the same. I'd love to see a real comparision with same tires on all cars. Especially when EVO and STi rubber is designed to wear off in below 10K miles.

BTW: Times

0-30 1.8
0-40 2.6
0-50 4.0
0-60 5.1
0-70 7.0 (new gear I guess )
0-80 8.6
0-90 11.1
0-100 13.4

13.8 @ 101.5

60-0 117
80-0 199
Old Feb 4, 2003, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MrAWD

Slipping the clutch is a very dangerous thing (for the clutch sake) and you should be very careful with that. Every clutch has a different way it reacts to the slippage. ACT clutches for example, don't last if you try to slip them and only thing you will get is a lot of smoke (not from the tires, unfortunately) and stinky clutch. So far, it seem that the best way to do it is to "drop" the clutch a bit slower than a full release.
Ok, you and I are saying the SAME EXACT THING with different words.

WE, me and my many many buddies that have ACT 2600, NEVER use the word dump in our conversations about launching a car with that clutch.

If you dump it, it will bog... which is why I said you must slip it a bit, but you are implying MASSIVLY slipping the clutch when the word slip is used and I am implying MASSIVELY dumping the clutch when the word dump is used.

I think we post the same info, but in different words and if someone didn't know better, they would think we were contradicting eachother when in fact we are saying the same thing!
Old Feb 4, 2003, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MrAWD

Actually this is a very good point here! Tires!! The thing is that US EVO is dressed in some dedicated tires and they might have some relation with the race compound tires. If those tires have extremely good grip, they will show results that are way better then any other car equipped with the regular tires.

This might be one of those tricks to show us how handling of the US EVO is even better then the previous EVO7. Basically, just put race rubber on the car!! Hmmmmm....

Fedja
Actually, I have articles with the Evo7 that supplied to the magazines using the advans .
Old Feb 4, 2003, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jojo
Actually, I have articles with the Evo7 that supplied to the magazines using the advans .
And how these compare?
Old Feb 4, 2003, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

And how these compare?
Nov 2002 import racer did not actually test the car, but they loved it. Nov 2002 Sports Car International stated the car was showing 320-330 hp and 0-62 of approx 4.5 secs.
But, I was just saying earlier that they already had Advans on the Evo7, so they did not put them on the 8 as MrAWD is inferring to make it look better than the 7.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 08:10 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SO is advan's that much better than SO2's used on the EVO VII's? I figured all Maximum performance tires have close performance to others

I actually went and check it out at the newstands b/c my road and track not delivered yet. Anyways, recall they said with ACD is better or something. Could someone quote what they said?

Last edited by gtr; Feb 4, 2003 at 08:25 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

i do not recall S0-2's being on the EVO VII's as a stock tire.? They are on the S2000's though....I do know that.

Originally posted by gtr

SO is advan's that much better than SO2's used on the EVO VII's? I figured all Maximum performance tires have close performance to others
Old Feb 4, 2003, 08:32 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

I thought they did or maybe of RS or was it the evo vi? I think SO2 were gone when SO3's came out and then they changed to yokohama avs sports or something.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gtr
How many cars have this level of rubber stock?
WRX?
350Z?
My point is that influence of great rubber is very misleading. These tires will not last long and you can get a great set of tires for any car. I'd love to see tests on a leveled field to really know which car grips better.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 09:17 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Thought most sports cars have nice tires. My old M3 had MXX3's and those were awesome dry radials. That's about it. 10,000mi isn't bad when running winter radials for 5 months of the year.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gtr
Thought most sports cars have nice tires. My old M3 had MXX3's and those were awesome dry radials.
M3 is out of my league. I am talking about affordable cars.

That's about it. 10,000mi isn't bad when running winter radials for 5 months of the year.
10,000 is an optimistic variant without track days.

Quick Reply: Road & Track EVO 8 test numbers