Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Road & Track EVO 8 test numbers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:35 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many cars have this level of rubber stock?
I think manufactures are giving us better tires now a day. An affordable car would be the Neon SRT-4 with Pilot Sports on a under $20K car which is pretty good Again the Neon SRT-4 comes up here and there
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MrAWD

Actually this is a very good point here! Tires!! The thing is that US EVO is dressed in some dedicated tires and they might have some relation with the race compound tires. If those tires have extremely good grip, they will show results that are way better then any other car equipped with the regular tires.

This might be one of those tricks to show us how handling of the US EVO is even better then the previous EVO7. Basically, just put race rubber on the car!! Hmmmmm....

Fedja
It's not a new thing by MMC/Ralliart, per se - the RS Evo's in Japan have always been equipped with S rubber - slicks with grooves cut into them. (I'm using always liberally here - I only personally have paid attention to Evo 5's on) That's one of the reasons that the back-to-back comparo's of Evo's vs. STi's in Japan tended to favor the Evo at the track. STi's always came equipped with good, but not great, summer tyres - such as RE 040's. They do ok in the dry, and most importantly for Subaru's overall image/self perception, did great in the wet. They however don't keep up that well on the track with semi-race rubber... Recently, Subaru/STi just gave up and started shipping the Type C STi's with 070's. Consequently, the track times have mysteriously gotten much closer to the Evo's, if not sometimes surpassing them.

I expect that the Evo 8 still does quite a good job of handling overall. But the rather high skidpad numbers and slalom are indeed partially attributable to the rubber that they ship with in stock form. And the Pilot's MX and such that Corvette's and M3's ship with do not compare. I participated in a long-term rubber test with those, S03's and Pirelli P-Zero's. All good, but the Pilots are designed to last a long-ish time, and have compromises towards ultimate performance because of this. And neither the S03's, S02's, P-Zero's or Pilot's compare to the erasor rubber coming on the Evo and the STi, at least on a track. If I had the same rubber compound as the Evo or STi on Tsukuba Circuit, I would knock a minimum of 2 secs off my time with RE040's. Probably more. And that's a 1min:15sec course. Twin Ring Motegi, I could go wheezle by M3's if I had that good of a rubber.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:49 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

So Paul, your saying these tires are that great? Both the 070 and advans never made it here or not common. My question is that are the new 070's comparable to the 046's? Is it going to be a fair test between the STi and the Evo this time around?
Old Feb 4, 2003, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

can someone please scan the R&T article? I can't find it in any store in town. My dad has a subscription to it, but I won't be able to get over to my parents house till this weekend, and I really want to read their review!
Old Feb 4, 2003, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gtr
So Paul, your saying these tires are that great? Both the 070 and advans never made it here or not common. My question is that are the new 070's comparable to the 046's? Is it going to be a fair test between the STi and the Evo this time around?
For pure track racing, the only way they would get much better is to remove the already miniscule grooves that they have. Forget about traction in the rain, or long life - they generally only last some 7000km, about 5000miles -or less. They really are track tyres only. As somebody else said, put something laster longing on for street driving, and save the rubber they come with for the track!

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Feb 4, 2003, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MrAWD

Actually this is a very good point here! Tires!! The thing is that US EVO is dressed in some dedicated tires and they might have some relation with the race compound tires. If those tires have extremely good grip, they will show results that are way better then any other car equipped with the regular tires.

This might be one of those tricks to show us how handling of the US EVO is even better then the previous EVO7. Basically, just put race rubber on the car!! Hmmmmm....

Fedja
The stock P235/45R-17 Yokohama ADVAN A046s are nothing special. While they are a lot better than the Bridgestone RE92s used on the WRX, so is every other tire in the world.

The A046s are not as good as S02s or AVS sports.

Definitely not race compound tires. Claudius recommends Pirelli PZero Assimetrico yellows, I don’t know if these are the same the U.S. PZero Asymmetricals. I will try Falken Azenis also.

Erik
Old Feb 5, 2003, 07:32 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Paul makes it sound like miracle tires on the evo to handle very well and the STi runs par suspention wise . I'm glad to hear that the evo can pull that kind of g's from 235's! Not many cars could achieve this with narrow tries "compared to vettes, 911's, and vipers" except for RX-7's and supra's on the skid. When i hear eraser rubber i was thinking street legal race compound of some sort with treadwear at 100-140 range.

OH yeah, i've hear Falkins are one of the most heaviest tires and that'll really have a hit in performance.

Last edited by gtr; Feb 5, 2003 at 07:36 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Yes the Falkens are heavy. That’s why I'm still looking around. Evo's really work their tires so you need something with a stiff sidewall.

Through all the recommendations for tires I noticed that pattern stiff tires were generally liked. Softly constructed tires were universally bad. No real agreement on what works exist but several tires seem to have a following

Yoko AVS sports
Yoko A539
Goodyear F1 GS-D3
Pirelli F1 Assimetrico Yellows
Toyo Proxies
Bridgestone S-02 (but not the S-03 or S-01s, I don’t know if you can get the 2’s anymore anyway)
Several street legal slicks are well liked but I’m looking at street tires.

I would like to try BFG g-force KDs but that is an expensive fast wearing tire.
Kumho Ecsta MXs may be worth shot too.

Erik
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Azenis are nice cause they are cheap. And on my WRX 17''s were not killed by a couple of track days so they should last at least a year if you use winters on snow. It's probably better to get something like Azenis or S-03s (if you care about wet traction and willing to pay some more) and just get a set of R rubber for track days. I doubt it's worth to use very expensive, highest performance and fast wearing off street tires if you would rarely try to shave 2 seconds on your drive to work.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

My Evo will be getting a set of Azenis as soon as the stock tires wear out. The Azenis were amazing summer tires. Grip was great and so was wear. They were only so-so in the wet, but that was the trade-off for the great dry traction. And they are cheap too!

For those who are not familiar with the Azenis, they have a tread that is vaguely similar to Yokohama A032-R's. ie....very large contact patchs

They are fairly heavy. But only a little heavier than other performance tires with hard sidewalls. And they are lighter than Kumho V700's.

SC

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Feb 5, 2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:52 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

I recall that themothership has mentioned about yokohama designing the 046's especially for the evo. Maybe these tires are excellent tires for our cars for that reason. I would wait to see if these yok would be worth getting?

Am i the only one who picked up that they said it's not as good without ACD Doent' seem like anybody cares. I have the feeling the JDM with ACD and LSD will destroy our car on the track. Now i just want to know how much faster. Are we talkign about hundredth, tenth, or seconds?
Old Feb 5, 2003, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by gtr
Am i the only one who picked up that they said it's not as good without ACD Doent' seem like anybody cares. I have the feeling the JDM with ACD and LSD will destroy our car on the track. Now i just want to know how much faster. Are we talkign about hundredth, tenth, or seconds?
I would put money on that one as well!!

Fedja
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
My Evo will be getting a set of Azenis as soon as the stock tires wear out. The Azenis were amazing summer tires. Grip was great and so was wear. They were only so-so in the wet, but that was the trade-off for the great dry traction. And they are cheap too!

For those who are not familiar with the Azenis, they have a tread that is vaguely similar to Yokohama A032-R's. ie....very large contact patchs

They are fairly heavy. But only a little heavier than other performance tires with hard sidewalls. And they are lighter than Kumho V700's.

SC
I with you on the azenis. The only problem is that they don't make 235s only 245 and 225 widths. I've talked to Falken and the line up of Azenis will not be expanded. I really want to preserve the stiff sidewall of that tire. The reccomended rim widths seem to point to 245s on the stock 8" wheel.

The are pretty cheap and the Evo will eat tires. So I will try them out.

Erik
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr
I recall that themothership has mentioned about yokohama designing the 046's especially for the evo. Maybe these tires are excellent tires for our cars for that reason. I would wait to see if these yok would be worth getting?

the A046 just are not excellent tires just very good OEM performance tires.

Erik
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gtr
Am i the only one who picked up that they said it's not as good without ACD
It says:
our EVO uses a viscous coupling unit, which doesn't offer the same sharp turn-in character of the ACD, but helps provide brisk cornering manners just the same
I am not sure if it's ACD or front LSD (or both).

Quick Reply: Road & Track EVO 8 test numbers