Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

the test drive...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2003, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the test drive...

so let's talk a little about a potential test drive.

when i bought my last car (one of them silly looking yellow integras), i drove an integra gs-r to check the fit and all (even though there was a sunroof) and make sure i would fit okay, and put my deposit down on my car right after. a month later, the car came in, i went down there to check it out, and bought it. the first drive i took in it was when the salesman was directing me over to the gas station to fill the tank. the papers had all been signed.

now, i know this is all kind of up in the air, but i'd REALLY like a better shot at test driving this thing before i sign the dotted line (although i had no regrets in my last purchase).

what kind of test driving do you think should be done? obviously, if you're looking at most likely buying the exact car you've got there, you're going to want to be obeying the "rules" of a proper break-in procedure.

so how do you really test drive a car like this? i've heard people saying things along the lines of "i hope the test drive doesn't dissapoint," but i am having troubles seeing how people can get a realistic idea of what this car can REALLY do while still being kind to a car that could very well be theirs (and then taunting them with the same untouchable promise for the nest 600 or 1k miles, or whatever it is...heh).

the last car i test drove was a run-of-the-mill wrx. the dealer said to not take it up above 5k, but even that seemed a little more than i would actually do to a brand new car still in break-in...

bah..i'm writing a book.

the end.

-K
Old Feb 18, 2003, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

im curious about this issue also. im ganna buy the car, and the dealer is only ganna sell it to me and only me. but what if someone comes in that is interested in an evo, and they let them take a stroll around the block for a bit? or a salesman or employee. you know they will be flooring the hell out of it. i dont want that to happen at all. i dont live in louisville, but ive taken precautions for this: 1) i know my dealer well, hes ganna let me know exactly when its in. 2) i have a good freind in the area who already agreed to go there and watch it and make sure no-one drives it at all (in return im ganna let him floor my stealth tt). 3) il be there at least 2 hours after i get notice (i live 2 hours away).
Old Feb 18, 2003, 05:32 PM

I actually just got off the phone with some guys about test driving. If the car is marked for someone, NO ONE touches it. I guess a lead-footed employee could mess with it, but I doubt it. As far aas being able to test drive one, my loacl dealership said they'd let me drive one whenever they got one in that wasn't sold. THe next dealership I talked to said their manager hadn't made a decision, and the other one still didn't know the ship dates or assortment (typical uninformed salesman). So who knows. I jsut hope I don't have to wait till april to get behind the wheel.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

I have been promised also that not even employees will be allowed to drive a car which has been earmarked for a customer...he said it will come off the truck...go to be cleaned and then I can come pick it up.....he said there will be some miles on it...which is pretty standard, but I trust him, ya know not all dealers are the devil!!!
Old Feb 18, 2003, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

there were 9 miles on my last car at pick-up..i would expect something similar to that...maybe closer to 20...

-K
Old Feb 18, 2003, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Most dealers wont let the general public test drive their most "sporty" cars, ex dodge will not let you test a viper, ponitac wont let you test any car with ram air. I would expect that will be doing that same type of deal
Old Feb 18, 2003, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by K)!!y
there were 9 miles on my last car at pick-up..i would expect something similar to that...maybe closer to 20...

-K
Actually I was told around 12...not that it means much
Old Feb 18, 2003, 09:44 PM

really? i think if u go into the dealership acting like u plan on buying the sporty car theyll let u try it out......i got the nearby audi dealership to let me drive the only s4 they had at the time and at the pontiac deal let me drive a brand new firebird firehawk(it had 7 miles on it).....the salesman was sitting in the back seat practically ****ting himself though
Old Feb 18, 2003, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

kinda veering OT here, but anybody have an approximate number on s4s/year in the US for the handful of years it was here...?

i wonder if it is similar to what the evo will end up being here...maybe more like 10-15k?

-K
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

If I was buying a car I would want a test drive before I bought it regardless of the car (even a $1,000,000 McLaren F1). I realise the cars are expensive and the dearlers can't afford to have people destroying them but I would still need a test drive, and the salesperson would be in the car with me and I would only want to see the basics, like make sure I fit properly and feel comfortable, feel the gearchange, the noise levels etc., not drive flat out or anything. Also I would wait until the dearler got a car that wasn't sold to somebody, I am glad Mitsubishi dealers are doing that.
Aston
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mirage720
really? i think if u go into the dealership acting like u plan on buying the sporty car theyll let u try it out......i got the nearby audi dealership to let me drive the only s4 they had at the time and at the pontiac deal let me drive a brand new firebird firehawk(it had 7 miles on it).....the salesman was sitting in the back seat practically ****ting himself though
Were those cars already spoken for? If they were then that's nice of them but from the dealership I'm dealing with they said that they will not be allowing anyone to test drive the cars because they all basically already belong to someone.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:57 PM
choad

My dealer said PDI miles only...
This means that it will be set up for me only...(Pre Delivery Inspection)
Old Feb 19, 2003, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

If you have a deposit down and your credit checks out they will let you drive it before you buy it. BUT that's after the car comes in. My dealer told me no one will drive my reserved Evo except me and the tech. And they promise it will be driven cautiously for break in. My recommendation to EVERYONE buying a new car. NEVER and I mean NEVER let the dealership wash your car if you care at all about your paint job. They will swirl it up guarenteed. I will be asking for mine right off the truck with no wash and no front license plate. I'd rather do the honors myself.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Play stupid when you get to the dealership.......

"Whats a Lancer Evolution? Is that some kind on new con fowled economy car that evolved from a fish to a monkey?"

"Can I take it for a ride?"

The test drive is ALWAYS the selling point, im sure after 2-3 months they will start to give test drives. Thease cars will sell themselves after the person knows how great the LE is, kind of like how subaru sold so many WRX, they were willing to give test drives since day one since only a handfull of people know what they were.

Speaking of the Viper test drive, you can get one at my local Dodge dealer, only thing is you MUST have a two CC with over a $10,000 limit as colateral that you leave at the dealership when you leave with the car.

Last edited by tryandcatchme; Feb 19, 2003 at 08:35 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

ahh...well, see ,some people dont have the luxury of having a credit card with a 10k limit

Quick Reply: the test drive...