Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

B-Pillar plastic noise - Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
B-Pillar plastic noise - Help

First of all I know there is an 11 page thread on EVO noises......however....very few have answers and most threads cover 10 different areas.

This one is specifically about the B-Pillar.

I have a noise coming from the B-pillar that sounds like a plastic on plastic rattle or creak/squeak. I haven't tried taking it all apart but I have tired spraying everything with armor all. It seems this car just suck armor all up like a dirty *****.

Has anyone isolated this problem? I have the noise coming from both sides of the car but if I open the door the noise goes away. I am sure putting velcro on the mating surface of the source would eliminate the noise but I cannot find the source.

Help!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha, noises are hard to located and even harder to describe and diagnose. anyway, i had a plastic on plastic rattle/creek/squeek that comes from the front doors (both sides). it happens between the dash and the door. i can pry my fingers between the door in the crack between the dash when it is closed and the noise stops. not sure if that is your problem but maybe you'll wanna check that out. BTW it happens because the doors and body flex a bit and the tolerances are pretty tight in there so they rub together. opening the door obviously makes the noise stop.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

No answer, but sympathy.

My Evo has had the problem for a year now and I can't figure out how to fix it. Neither can the dealer. It makes a loud plastic squeak nearly all the time. I took the B-pillar plastic cover off and drove around for a while -- the noise was still there. I determined that it is actually coming from the door panel itself. I put the B-pillar cover back on, took the door panel off, and the noise went away completely.

So, the dealer ordered me a new door panel. They installed it, pronounced the problem solved, and as I was driving away from the dealership, the noise came right back. So, I'm stumped. The car is still under warranty, so I've got some time to think about possible solutions.

I suggest you do the same test I did -- remove the B pillar cover first and see if that affects the noise. It's easy to get off, just pull it towards you. If that doesn't make the sound go away, then you know the culprit is the door panel.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

I have a similar issue with mine, as I start to slow down a vibration starts to happen at the A pillar and Dash. When I have my winter tires on the car it never happens, so it must be the Advans and the stiff sidewalls. Took it to the dealer, said they could not reproduce the sound (Cough** BS) I am hoping that new tires will temp. fix the problem.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same thing. It just started with 10k miles on the car. I havent had the time to see what it is, but if i figure it out ill be sure to let you know.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 03:58 PM

passenger door squeaks sometimes and drives me crazy when the radio is off
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone found a fix for the door/b pillar rattle?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:21 PM

Regarding the B pillar.
I'm in agreeance with the assesment of the door panel being your problem. Most of the noises I hear tend to be either the A pillar or from inside the door panels.

The hardest part for me is tracking down where the noise is coming from, I understand your frustration, Welcome to "find that squeak".

evolvedmb - you might want to put some soft felt tape (craft store, home depot) around the base of the A pillar (that helped somewhat). However I found out that it's not only rubbing against the dash, but the windshield as well. .
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
every one here owes me $5 each after I tell you what the problem is . It took me a week to figure out where the noise was coming from. Even after pulling off all the panels, the noise still did not go away. so i knew it was not from the panels but from some other moving parts. it drove me crazy, it was only making the noise in town when i was drive slow over bumps (when the chasis twist), but stoped when i open the door. are you ready for this!!!

It's the door latch. look at the metal hook on your door pillar (the part on the car that the door latch on when it's closed) and see if there's any black plastics that was rubbed off the latch on the door stuck to it. just scrub off the plastic residue with some abrasive and - Voila. now you can send $5 to my paypal account. You is welcome.

edit: this wasn't a rattling noise, more like a loud squeeking sound.

Last edited by honda-guy; Jul 13, 2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:56 PM

I'll let you know after I check my door. (readies the $5)
Old Jul 14, 2005, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

This is what my latch looks like:

I don't see a lot of plastic accumulation other than that tiny black spot. Nevertheless, I sanded it off. I'll see what it does on the ride to work this morning. Fingers crossed.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Its easy to take apart the B-pillars. I did it to take out my seat belts when I put my racing seats in. There is this plastic waffle crush zone stuff in there that could be rattling. It just kinda floats in there and is held in loosely. (if the door thing isn't the problem) If you want to take it off and find out, you have to pop up your lower door sill trim panels. Then pull off the big black trim piece from the middle that is almost in the shape of the Atari symbol. Then you have to pop the top of the seatbelt cap off (where it slides up and down) and unscrew that. Then you can proceed to pull of the white B-pillar cap. Stick some Armaflex in there or something similar to keep it from rattling. (its the stuff that looks like black/gray foam rubber that you wrap copper pipes with in your house). Its lightweight and also deadens noise too. I also have it stuffed inbetween the dash and windshield, and between the back window and rear speaker deck. I have very few rattles if any at all when my bass hits. =)
Old Jul 14, 2005, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Unbelievable! It works!

Okay honda-guy, what is your paypal account? I owe you at least five big ones! I was skeptical, to be sure. How can that little tiny bit of black plastic residue cause so much noise? I sanded it off, and....silence! This has been driving me crazy for over a year. Thanks, honda-guy!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 04:10 PM

Amazing! It works!

I owe you $5.00 too.. I can send you a free Mitsu oil filter!...

Originally Posted by Lee_K
Unbelievable! It works!

Okay honda-guy, what is your paypal account? I owe you at least five big ones! I was skeptical, to be sure. How can that little tiny bit of black plastic residue cause so much noise? I sanded it off, and....silence! This has been driving me crazy for over a year. Thanks, honda-guy!
Old Jul 15, 2005, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee_K
Unbelievable! It works!

haha, i'm glad it helped you guys out. don't worry about the $5, i was just kidding. i've gotten a lot of good info from this comunity and i'm happy to give back. make sure you polish the latch if you used a high grit sand paper, make it smooth so it doesn't collect more plastic easily.

Quick Reply: B-Pillar plastic noise - Help