Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

13th DSM Shootout - my experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13th DSM Shootout - my experience

I am still in Ohio, secluded in a cheap road side motel next to the famous "club 76"

Anyway - yesterday was without a doubt the BEST race I have ever attended and I wanted to give big thanks to David Buschur for putting in all the long hours to organize the race and dealing with all the complaints, problems and issues that go along with organizing such a huge event. Thanks also to the whole team at Buschur Racing for your long hours of overtime to prepare the new dyno facility and make this year;s shootout one of the very best.

First of all the weekend started early this year with some tuning on the new Mustang Dyno that Buschur has intalled in its own dyno room. This dyno is without a doubt the best dyno for tuning as it duplicates the real road loading more acurately than any other kind of dyno. When the tunes are done, the cars some out so silky smooth on the road its amazing.

It was a great honor as usual to tune all day with David Buschur who knows more about4G63 engines that most other so called experts forgot. Every time I go there I learn new things and this weekend was no exception.

The mustang dyno does read LOWER numbers than dyno jets becuase of the way it loads the cars it applies a significant load to simulate wind resisitance on the car which obviously the dyno jet can not do.

On Saturday there was a Dyno Contest and some 30 plus cars went onto the dyno for the first time at the DSM Shootout in AWD mode. Of course, I had to tip my hat into the dance and luckily I was the "King of the Dyno" with a pull of 580 whp which equates to about 650 - 660 whp on a dyno jet dyno.

The scene at the hotels this year was total anarchy. For those who have never been, one of the best parts of the shootout is thye big party in down town Norwalk at some cheap hotels. This year the scene was totally out of control, certainly hugely entertaining to observe. I hear the hotels are going to refuse shootout business next year - but there are lots of other hotels in the near vicinity

The race itself is what everyone comes for and for those who have not been, the feeling and experience at the DSM shootout is totally unique. The comradery and community of DSM racers all together in one place at such a great track is what makes the day such a amazing experience.

The best part of the day for sure was when Shep busted out a super fast 8.5 time in his 1st gen race car - even on a track whcih was about as slippery as a ice skating rink due to all the rain.

There was lots of rain - but due to the deidication of Buschur and Norwalk Raceway spending thousands of dollars on fuel for the jet dryer the track was dried TWO times and the race was fully completed.

This year the highlights for me where when two of my customer's kicked *** on the track. One customer who got the Bushur Race Chip installed at the track over his Buschur Flash ran 100% consistant 12.4 times all day good enough to get him to the finals of the Bracket clkass which had a huge field- great work. Also - a customer I tuned on the Buschur dyno at the end of the dyno day on Saturday - Smiley from NC - ran into the 11's with a stage 4 and a White Rabbit turbo and my flash at 114 mph. Great job Smiley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being a race which I look forward to all year long and which I was the runner up for the last two years due to mistakes on the starting line it was great that I made it through 4 perfect rounds of racing againsgt some tough competition to finally win this year.

I did not set any world records with my car this time. I de-tuned it to be easy to drive and reliable. My times were 10.2; 10.3; 10.3 and 10.4. The machine performed in flawless fashion.

Of note was the many contenders who failed to make it to the race itself who blew up during the test and tune session before the race. You can't win if your car don't run and that is why my car was parked all day at the Exedy booth until the race started, and not doing fun runs on the track. I have seen many a car which was already qualified for a race blow up in a additional unneeded qualifying run.

I hope that seeing so many large shops evo entries blow up at the race this year shows people just how hard it is to have a car running in to the low 10's in a reliable and consistant manner.

Special thanks to my many sponsors whithout who's continued support I would not be able to continue to race :

Exedy Clutch
Buschur Racing
Pruven Performance
Ferrea Valves
AEM Electronics
Driveshaft Shop
Pauter Rods
Sheherd Racing
Marren Motorsports
Magnus

I would like to think that my continued success this year with my car winning so many races without any failures speaks to my tuning skills. Going fast without breaking takes good tuning and more importantly a in depth understanding of the limitations of the car and the judgment and discretion to know how far you can push the envelope on any given day. Racing helps me learn more about evos and improve my tuning skills.

Winning the DSM Shootout for me is like winning the super bowl. With ALL the major players attending the competition is intesnse and it is certainly a time when you have to be on your A game to do well. Respect and appreciation for all my fellow racers for making our sport so amazing.

Also - who ever made the Shooting for Al decals - thanks I love them and I put one on my car!

On an sperate note - BIG PROPS to Buschur Racing for the only real competition I had all day. The new Buschur black drag car driven by Dan was very fast. It uses a off the shelf Buschur GT35R turbo kit and STOCK intake manifold !!!!!!!!!!! The car was faster than mine in our race and only due to traction issues in the lane that they drew and perfect shifting was I able to pull out the win. The Buschur car is at almost 7 psi lower boost than mine - when they turn up the boost that car will be going much faster.

Sorry for the long post - I wanted to get all my thoughts out there.

See you all next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by DynoFlash; Aug 15, 2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

wow thats awesome. Good job. i would love to know if you are planning on coming to denver or if you would to do some tuning/flashing????
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm curious which company popped a motor.

Congrats Al, now can we get you over here in the west coast?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I was about to ask the same thing. I knew of one, but you mentioned several. Do explain
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

It was alot of fun this weekend despite the rain. And Al and David are some of the nicest and coolest people you will met in the DSM/EVO community. I did not see one Dyno Flash or Buschur Racing car break this weekend, but I did see some other Shops have cars go boom!!! Nobody would go wrong if the let Buschur or Dyno Flash work on there cars. All those people whow talk **** are haters and wish the could hold these guys jock strapes.
And Al I am going to get that custom tune from you I just didnt want to with my blown head gasket. Maybe we can get you to come back to Hickory NC in a couple of months...
Bruce
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah it was a fun event besides the rain. That Pruven car was sick! I was expecting it to be faster but oh well that car is still awesome.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spooledevo
I did not see one Dyno Flash or Buschur Racing car break this weekend, but I did see some other Shops have cars go boom!!! Nobody would go wrong if the let Buschur or Dyno Flash work on there cars. All those people whow talk **** are haters and wish the could hold these guys jock strapes.
All race cars break. Its just the way it is. Its kind of weak to take a jab at guys just because they were running their cars hard in between qualifying rounds. Nobody runs their car harder than Curt Brown. Also, I personally haven't been to an import race in the midwest where AMS HAS NOT been there running their shop cars and customer cars hard.

Al said it himself. He would rather have his car sit at the pit than risk breaking it so that he could win his class. There's nothing wrong with that mentality but not everyone thinks that way.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I am still in Ohio, secluded in a cheap road side motel next to the famous "club 76"

Anyway - yesterday was without a doubt the BEST race I have ever attended and I wanted to give big thanks to David Buschur for putting in all the long hours to organize the race and dealing with all the complaints, problems and issues that go along with organizing such a huge event. Thanks also to the whole team at Buschur Racing for your long hours of overtime to prepare the new dyno facility and make this year;s shootout one of the very best.

First of all the weekend started early this year with some tuning on the new Mustang Dyno that Buschur has intalled in its own dyno room. This dyno is without a doubt the best dyno for tuning as it duplicates the real road loading more acurately than any other kind of dyno. When the tunes are done, the cars some out so silky smooth on the road its amazing.

It was a great honor as usual to tune all day with David Buschur who knows more about4G63 engines that most other so called experts forgot. Every time I go there I learn new things and this weekend was no exception.

The mustang dyno does read LOWER numbers than dyno jets becuase of the way it loads the cars it applies a significant load to simulate wind resisitance on the car which obviously the dyno jet can not do.

On Saturday there was a Dyno Contest and some 30 plus cars went onto the dyno for the first time at the DSM Shootout in AWD mode. Of course, I had to tip my hat into the dance and luckily I was the "King of the Dyno" with a pull of 580 whp which equates to about 650 - 660 whp on a dyno jet dyno.

The scene at the hotels this year was total anarchy. For those who have never been, one of the best parts of the shootout is thye big party in down town Norwalk at some cheap hotels. This year the scene was totally out of control, certainly hugely entertaining to observe. I hear the hotels are going to refuse shootout business next year - but there are lots of other hotels in the near vicinity

The race itself is what everyone comes for and for those who have not been, the feeling and experience at the DSM shootout is totally unique. The comradery and community of DSM racers all together in one place at such a great track is what makes the day such a amazing experience.

The best part of the day for sure was when Shep busted out a super fast 8.5 time in his 1st gen race car - even on a track whcih was about as slippery as a ice skating rink due to all the rain.

There was lots of rain - but due to the deidication of Buschur and Norwalk Raceway spending thousands of dollars on fuel for the jet dryer the track was dried TWO times and the race was fully completed.

This year the highlights for me where when two of my customer's kicked *** on the track. One customer who got the Bushur Race Chip installed at the track over his Buschur Flash ran 100% consistant 12.4 times all day good enough to get him to the finals of the Bracket clkass which had a huge field- great work. Also - a customer I tuned on the Buschur dyno at the end of the dyno day on Saturday - Smiley from NC - ran into the 11's with a stage 4 and a White Rabbit turbo and my flash at 114 mph. Great job Smiley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being a race which I look forward to all year long and which I was the runner up for the last two years due to mistakes on the starting line it was great that I made it through 4 perfect rounds of racing againsgt some tough competition to finally win this year.

I did not set any world records with my car this time. I de-tuned it to be easy to drive and reliable. My times were 10.2; 10.3; 10.3 and 10.4. The machine performed in flawless fashion.

Of note was the many contenders who failed to make it to the race itself who blew up during the test and tune session before the race. You can't win if your car don't run and that is why my car was parked all day at the Exedy booth until the race started, and not doing fun runs on the track. I have seen many a car which was already qualified for a race blow up in a additional unneeded qualifying run.

I hope that seeing so many large shops evo entries blow up at the race this year shows people just how hard it is to have a car running in to the low 10's in a reliable and consistant manner.

Special thanks to my many sponsors whithout who's continued support I would not be able to continue to race :

Exedy Clutch
Buschur Racing
Pruven Performance
Ferrea Valves
AEM Electronics
Driveshaft Shop
Pauter Rods
Sheherd Racing
Marren Motorsports
Magnus

I would like to think that my continued success this year with my car winning so many races without any failures speaks to my tuning skills. Going fast without breaking takes good tuning and more importantly a in depth understanding of the limitations of the car and the judgment and discretion to know how far you can push the envelope on any given day. Racing helps me learn more about evos and improve my tuning skills.

Winning the DSM Shootout for me is like winning the super bowl. With ALL the major players attending the competition is intesnse and it is certainly a time when you have to be on your A game to do well. Respect and appreciation for all my fellow racers for making our sport so amazing.

Also - who ever made the Shooting for Al decals - thanks I love them and I put one on my car!

On an sperate note - BIG PROPS to Buschur Racing for the only real competition I had all day. The new Buschur black drag car driven by Dan was very fast. It uses a off the shelf Buschur GT35R turbo kit and STOCK intake manifold !!!!!!!!!!! The car was faster than mine in our race and only due to traction issues in the lane that they drew and perfect shifting was I able to pull out the win. The Buschur car is at almost 7 psi lower boost than mine - when they turn up the boost that car will be going much faster.

Sorry for the long post - I wanted to get all my thoughts out there.

See you all next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Al, great job running yesterday. My friend and I saw you guys out there. It was a real honor to see you guys in person, or in car, for that matter. DSM/EVO masters such as yourself and of course David Buschur really know the car. We just got back to SC an hour or two ago. That's right. I hopped into my 3 week old '05 EVO and drove up to Norwalk to check out the action. Got it all on tape!! I could have sworn you were in the 9's though. At any rate, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, you'll be tuning the EVO in the near future...so keep an eye out for a black '05 from the South KAK!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 12:39 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Just so everyobody knows, our car did not have a motor failure. The tensioner for the serpentine belt (runs the water pump, alternator, and power steering) shattered on the launch and I ran the whole run with no power steering or water pump. The car still ran a 145mph (144.97) despite the problem. I've never seen a serpentine belt tensioner snap nor have i heard of this ever happening.. it's just a crazy thing that happened. When it snapped it jammed itself agains the front of the motor and squished the stamped pulley. Somebody said they saw something fall at the launch... yah it was a piece of the tensioner!! Oh well...stupid luck I guess. We'll replace the tensioner and go back at it. Another 5mph to go for my 150mph goal without nitrous!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AMS
Just so everyobody knows, our car did not have a motor failure. The tensioner for the serpentine belt (runs the water pump, alternator, and power steering) shattered on the launch and I ran the whole run with no power steering or water pump. The car still ran a 145mph (144.97) despite the problem. I've never seen a serpentine belt tensioner snap nor have i heard of this ever happening.. it's just a crazy thing that happened. When it snapped it jammed itself agains the front of the motor and squished the stamped pulley. Somebody said they saw something fall at the launch... yah it was a piece of the tensioner!! Oh well...stupid luck I guess. We'll replace the tensioner and go back at it. Another 5mph to go for my 150mph goal without nitrous!
Martin - just to be clear I did not imply that YOUR evo had an engine failure in my above post.

There were however at least 3 other evos which blew up engines in the open track testing part of the contest.

BTW - your car looked great and I enjoyed watching it go down the track it was running really strong. I really liked the Outlander car that your shop brought, that was one of a kind.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lookEVO
wow thats awesome. Good job. i would love to know if you are planning on coming to denver or if you would to do some tuning/flashing????

Man, where were you a month ago??? we were trying to get Al to come down there but did not succeed due to the fact that we needed just one more person!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
Man, where were you a month ago??? we were trying to get Al to come down there but did not succeed due to the fact that we needed just one more person!
As far as Denver I am going to try and make it there in mid September - I will be posting details on the Dyno Flash section shortly.

Thanks for the support !
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

AL what did Smiley's car make on Dave's dyno ?

"Also - a customer I tuned on the Buschur dyno at the end of the dyno day on Saturday - Smiley from NC - ran into the 11's with a stage 4 and a White Rabbit turbo and my flash at 114 mph. Great job Smiley"
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by matt55
AL what did Smiley car make on Dave's dyno ?

"Also - a customer I tuned on the Buschur dyno at the end of the dyno day on Saturday - Smiley from NC - ran into the 11's with a stage 4 and a White Rabbit turbo and my flash at 114 mph. Great job Smiley"
He made 330 on the Mustang dyno with 100 octane tune and 30- psi tapering to 24 at red line.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
He made 330 on the Mustang dyno with 100 octane tune and 30- psi tapering to 24 at red line.
Thanks just saw the other thread
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hreadid=154011

Quick Reply: 13th DSM Shootout - my experience