Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO vs. WRX/STi Shootout Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what was the fastest sti run?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 05:32 PM

If Im not mistaken, an STi took the overall win in the shoot out with a 10.6 against Al's EVO who ran 10.8. But I think the EVO had the best overall time today with the 9.92 pass.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 05:33 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks to all those who attended the race today. I wish I could have spent more time to hang out and talk with every one but sadly I spent most of the day trying to work out problems with my car, (I had a coolant hose break and had to take a trip to a local auto parts store and also I had a serious misfire which I changed out two ignitions and changed plugs to resolve). After all of that I needed to tune the new set up which took me a few passes. This left me with little time to answer questions and or check out any one else's rides. I wish things could have gone more smoothly so I could have had more time to enjoy the day.

Big thanks to Jim Potts and Georgie of PR for helping out to repair my injured ride.

Also - big props to Big Valley and the STI team for beating me in the final - driver Rolly beat me at the tree as I was waiting for my anti lag to build boost. Amazingly, Mr. Crawford had driven the STI from Vermont Sports car the day before. Big Valley and his team are a great bunch of guys and I am really happy that he did such an amazing job with his car today. His is the fastest real STI with a normal 6 speed transmission and it was running great all day.

I am very pleased that I was able to iron out all my bugs on the track and make it through several rounds of racing to reach the final. It was a great day of tough competition and one I will never forget.

Special props to member NINELEGS who won the auto cross and then made the semi finals with his Dyno Flash tuned Evo with WR turbo running an amazing 11.6 on a day with miserable conditions for fast times.

Thanks also to Raceway Park for holding this event again for a second year and for making it an amazing event.

On a personal note, thanks to David Buschur for continued guidance and support.

I won the race last week at the DSM shootout, with a GT35R based turbo set up, decided to try the GT40R for this race. I had 4 days t0 get it ready after I got back, found the exhuast port had a collant leak which required me to pull the head. It was a huge effort for me to even complete the car for the event. For me, its all about pushing myself to see if I can get it done and make it work. In addition this week I swapped intake manifolds and went to a accufab TB. Two days ago as I sat in my garage, I never thought I would even have a running car never mind one that would take me into the final round.

I appreciate the patience and understanding of my valued customers for my poor phone and email response this week, its been a mino marathon.

Last edited by DynoFlash; Aug 20, 2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

So an Evo won the Autocross? That's the first I've seen anyone mention Autocross, I've been reading the thread going on over at NASIOC and they're talking about drag, people here are too. So the guy who won the Autocross had a WR turbo eh? Neat
Old Aug 20, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.5 60 ft...damn man thats horrible how were you launching? Youve never launched your car before! geezz, id imagine youd practice a few times before going out cold turkey to the track...

ahh wahtever youll do better next time! wish I could have gone...
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash

Special props to member NINELEGS who won the auto cross and then made the semi finals with his Dyno Flash tuned Evo with WR turbo running an amazing 11.6 on a day with miserable conditions for fast times.

Thanks also to Raceway Park for holding this event again for a second year and for making it an amazing event.
AL, paul didnt not win AutoX, he came in 4th. He had a quick lap but coned right b4 the eixt. Next year we need the road course.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EvoJimbo
AL, paul didnt not win AutoX, he came in 4th. He had a quick lap but coned right b4 the eixt. Next year we need the road course.
I was with him when he was collecting a large thropy ??? It was for auto cross
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

So what were some of the faster times, I know that AMS ran a 9.92 and DynoFlash ran a 10.8 I believe, but were some other times. I read from the Subaru guys that the EVOs overall where much faster and the fastest time of the day was turned in by an EVO and an EVO took victory in the autox, a very good day for the EVOs IMO.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Do we have any official confirmation that the Evo's won?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

i was there seamed like besides al,turbo trix,pruven, and ams"s evos and a couple others everyone ran like **** i saw evos running 14"s and 15"s i even saw one run a 16 something. i think i saw more faster subies then evos. It must have been something in the air or something it seamed like everyone was just running bad times it was wierd
Old Aug 20, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
So what were some of the faster times, I know that AMS ran a 9.92 and DynoFlash ran a 10.8 I believe, but were some other times. I read from the Subaru guys that the EVOs overall where much faster and the fastest time of the day was turned in by an EVO and an EVO took victory in the autox, a very good day for the EVOs IMO.
Hey you can add me to your 11 sec Evo list now I ran a 11.96..............I killed every subbie that I had to race. The funnie thing was the first round of heads up the had me running the PR subbie......then they changed the latter and I became an alt. I had a blast.......
Old Aug 20, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I was with him when he was collecting a large thropy ??? It was for auto cross
Al, that trophy was a 4th place trophy!! But the autox was a total sweep by the Evo Camp!!! 1st through 4th....I think...

Congrats to Kevin for the autox win.

Last edited by EVOLUTION/RC51; Aug 20, 2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 08:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION/RC51
Al, that trophy was a 4th place trophy!! But the autox was a total sweep by the Evo Camp!!! 1st through 4th....I think...

Congrats to Kevin for the autox win.
Way to go and congrats on new best time
Old Aug 20, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
Pruven hit a 10.8. Al ran a 10.6. I thought Turbotrix ran the 9.92? I never saw AMS put together a full-out run until they did an exhibition run at the end, but then the time didn't show up. It was a good launch with good shifts and no misfires, but none of us saw the slip. That car was easily the second most powerful and fastest car out there right behind TT...

As for most of the cars out there, it was abysmal. I don't know why the times were so poor, but I even had trouble. Despite having higher octane, MORE boost, a real clutch and full exhaust, I couldn't even duplicate my previous times. I was spinning off the line for the first time since owning my Evo...my 60' times were suffering, and it was taking longer before I could shift to 2nd. I ran 12.4x twice and 12.5x twice.

Interestingly, though, was that I ran my fastest 1/8th mile ever (7.7x) and was well on my way to my best 1/4 ever, but I was in a bracket race and stupidly decided to slam on the brakes to make sure I won without breaking out, because I was like half a track ahead of the WRX next to me. Well, that run was a 12.52 at 81!!! I literally slammed on the brakes...let off...then slammed them again. It was enough to drop 30mph, so that may have been my first 12.1 or better...no way to know, though.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Paul! Nice meeting you, I must say yours and Simons evo are the nicest evo I've ever seen. Good looking and with power to back it up. Yeah I took the Fastest time of the day and the fastest STi was 3 Second behind me. Jan (05RS here) took the win of bracket racing elimination, representing us EVOs! Congrat on the 11.6 run and keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: EVO vs. WRX/STi Shootout Results Thread