Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO vs. WRX/STi Shootout Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJimbo
Not alot of people are interested in teh Autox comp???
I would be interested, I participated in the autocross but I was'nt sure of the results of everyone.

If anybody has a list please post..
Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drdome99
7 = 9? And I won't get into the weather during my run or the fact that I have 200lbs of subs in my trunk . I'm just talking about launching, there are too many variables with 1/4 mile times and traps like weather, elevation, etc. A launch is a launch either you are good or you aren't the only real variable is driver skill, until you get into high hp when tires will matter more.
It would stand to reason that you are good at launching, but not at shifting then, since I ran 12.64 at 106.00 on a 1.71 60'. Mph is mph...if you trap 107 and cut a 1.67, then you run a 12.5. If I could cut a 1.67 right now, I would probably be able to hit a 12.0 at 110, but so far I can't break the 1.70 barrier.

Hardly anyone out there could launch, but the track was also slippery. I have spun all 4 at any other track, but I was doing it each time at E-town.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

autox: i stayed through the whole autox event as i was more interested in autox. after the initial elimination runs the SM (modded) class was evo's 1-3, followed by subbie, by another pair of evos (overall the top 10 out of 29 was dominated by evos). only 1 subbie really caught my attention, it was a blue with stickers '98? RS N/A with sti brakes who was running same times as STI's! that was some awesome driving top 3 evo's were all MR's i believe. The winner, Ianevo (white MR with carbon fiber aftermarket wing), is one hella driver. as soon as i saw him go flat out through the first series of corners, i thought "that guy is GOOD, i hope he gets the win". his best time was about 3 seconds faster than the best subbie time, until some sti managed to close the spread to about 1 sec. i don't remember all the numbers correctly, but the results will soon be posted here http://www.autox4u.com/nnjr.htm the runners up in the other 2 evo's were also good drivers (i think one of them was of the porta potty fame, if anyone remembers about that incident few months ago, correct me if i'm wrong though!) so congrats to all of them for taking that event by storm!

Last edited by JoizeeX; Aug 22, 2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drdome99
7 = 9? And I won't get into the weather during my run or the fact that I have 200lbs of subs in my trunk . I'm just talking about launching, there are too many variables with 1/4 mile times and traps like weather, elevation, etc. A launch is a launch either you are good or you aren't the only real variable is driver skill, until you get into high hp when tires will matter more.
You are right, but there is more to driving than just a launch. Getting the 1-2 shift right in this damn EVO is much harder than cutting a 1.70 short time. Its hard to consistantly cut 1.6-1.7 short times, the good drivers can do it....the once that can't usually bog the crap out of the car.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

it was nice meeting some of the ppl in person, warrtalon, timzkat, PD, i had a good time at the track. good luck to PD with fixing up their car! it was really upsetting to see it go down like that. give Holman a call, they have a paintless dent removal guy. i'm gonna go there sooner or later to get a big ding taken out. they did an excellent job on my evo before, even realigned for me 2x free under repair warranty. they even knew the car has intercooler sprayer.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

these have been the most familiar responses on the subie forum:

''you had the 3 fastest evo8s in the country and we didn't even have the fastest wrx there. you guys still lost. ''

''maybe you *****es need to learn to drive and stop blowing up your cars. ''

Last edited by diameters; Aug 22, 2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
it was nice meeting some of the ppl in person, warrtalon, timzkat, PD, i had a good time at the track. good luck to PD with fixing up their car! it was really upsetting to see it go down like that. give Holman a call, they have a paintless dent removal guy. i'm gonna go there sooner or later to get a big ding taken out. they did an excellent job on my evo before, even realigned for me 2x free under repair warranty. they even knew the car has intercooler sprayer.
Thanks for the kind words. The car is in the body shop now.
It is almost done. We are getting it ready for this weekend to run and hopefully hit mid 10's.
Talk to you soon.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was your car that the hood flew up on????

Tell Mitch i said to learn to install damn hood pins!
Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Hey guys, here is a copy of my write up from the evo-ny forum. And yes I was the driver who hits the porta potty.

Keep in mind that there was two classes running. The Modified class and the Stock class. If you were running Race tires, you were put in the modified class even when nothing else is done to your car which was kind of lame since SCCA allows race tires in stock classes. In any case, here it is. My co-driver and I were running on used advans that saw 40 autocross runs on friday. By the way, the Moded sti that made it to the final was on street tires. If he was on race tires, I think the gap would have been a little closer. All other subarus and stis were never a threat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

Reporting for the autox section of the event. First and foremost I have to say that this was an event that should go down in the history books. One word describes this event and that is SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!.

My co-driver Rogers Simmons and Mistax (John) shot some very nice videos and took a few pictures which will be ready by next week for posting. As soon as those are available, I will have them posted in the video section.

I wanted to thank all of the first time participant autocrossers that came out to have fun (Jimbo, RC51) and a few others that I didn't get a chance to meet. Jimbo showed significant improvement throughtout the day and RC51 was amazing.

Straight to the point, from the very first run of the 8 allowed runs, EVO-NY drivers Ianevo(Kevin Lau), 05RS(Thanks for letting me take a couple of runs), Maron (Jay) and RC51( you shocked me) was already ahead of the competition by a mile.

Fastest time of the day was posted by Ianevo (Kevin Lau) with a time of 30.6 sec.

Kevin also won the Modified class and took first place.

05RS really showed off his skills in the last round of the EVO vs WRX shootout where a competitor is only allowed one run to beat the other. If anyone hits a cone, two seconds get added to their run time. 05RS completely annahilated the sti competition by running a clean time of 31. seconds beating the sti by at least 2 seconds.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! for bringing the shootout trophy home for EVO-NY.

05RS also took the second place trophy in the modified class.

Moving on to the stock class,

Stock class is compose of cars that has no modifications and are running on street tires (radials).

Yours truely Maron (Jay) took the first place trophy and also qualified for the shootout where he was third overall behind Kevin and 05RS. Maron posted a time of 33.009 seconds to beat his co-driver Rogers Simmons by .200 of a second and posted a time of 32.6 second in the shootout run.

Second place trophy went to Rogers Simmons with a time of 33.2 seconds. Rogers has been co-driving with me for a long time and showed his best day yesterday. Congrats!!!.

Third Place trophy went to another Evo owner that is not an EVO-NY member but a very good driver that autox frequently during the SCCA events.

As you can read and will soon be seeing by way of vids, the evos of EVO-NY, all came out on top and crush the competition.

Once again, Congratulations to all of our winners and keep up the good work.

As part of the trophy ceremony, Parts were also given out to first and second place winners. GT spec gave out front and rear strut tower braces and radiator splitters to the first and second place winners.

GO EVO-NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

autox: i stayed through the whole autox event as i was more interested in autox. after the initial elimination runs the SM (modded) class was evo's 1-3, followed by subbie, by another pair of evos (overall the top 10 out of 29 was dominated by evos). only 1 subbie really caught my attention, it was a blue with stickers '98? RS N/A with sti brakes who was running same times as STI's! that was some awesome driving top 3 evo's were all MR's i believe. The winner, Jan (white MR with carbon fiber aftermarket wing), is one hella driver. as soon as i saw him go flat out through the first series of corners, i thought "that guy is GOOD, i hope he gets the win". his best time was about 3 seconds faster than the best subbie time, until some sti managed to close the spread to about 1 sec. i don't remember all the numbers correctly, but the results will soon be posted here http://www.autox4u.com/nnjr.htm the runners up in the other 2 evo's were also good drivers (i think one of them was of the porta potty fame, if anyone remembers about that incident few months ago, correct me if i'm wrong though!) so congrats to all of them for taking that event by storm!
Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Precision Dyno
Thanks for the kind words. The car is in the body shop now.
It is almost done. We are getting it ready for this weekend to run and hopefully hit mid 10's.
Talk to you soon.
sweet, wish her a speedy recovery.
r u guys competing in the NOPI event at Atco this weekend? or do u mean etown?
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
It was your car that the hood flew up on????

Tell Mitch i said to learn to install damn hood pins!
It wasn't that they weren't installed right. The right side sheared off.
Damn sparco.
Guarantee that won't happen again. You just learn from your mistakes and move on.

Last edited by Precision Dyno; Aug 22, 2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

sweet, wish her a speedy recovery.
r u guys competing in the NOPI event at Atco this weekend? or do u mean etown?
No we have a "special" event to attend in the morning that sat. and at night we will run the Nopi event.
Just want a good track to run on for official times. I am not going to win, just get into the tens. That is all I have a goal for. The car was setup for street performance Not the drag strip. But we want to see what the potential is.
We will be building a drag car in the offseason.
It is very hard to get a car in the nines and make it an everyday driver with no hassles or worries. It takes ALOT of tuning. Time will tell.
Hats off to the big boys that have spent alot of time and money. This car is as stock appearing as you can get at over 3300 pounds and 600HP.