Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pre-Dyno Checklist (to be prepared)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2005, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-Dyno Checklist (to be prepared)

I haven't been able to find one of these with minor searching... I'm just wanting to put together a good list of stuff one should do to prepare for the dyno...
  • Oil Change
  • Spark Plugs
  • Check all fluid levels
  • Boost Leak Test
  • Check for CEL codes

I went ahead and changed all my drivetrain fluids but I'm not sure if this will be of any benefit.. not sure how hard the dyno will be on the drivetrain but it couldn't hurt for the 4 hour drive to the dyno

I'll update this once some idea's coming rolling in. Would make a nice little "checklist".

Last edited by justchil; Sep 8, 2005 at 05:46 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 08:30 PM
Account Disabled

Spark plugs - I like BR7ES gapped 26
Boost leak test - (pressurize charging system to listen for leaks)
Compression test
Check cam timing
Tire pressure
Look for CEL and scan codes for any current codes
Good gas
Old Sep 8, 2005, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

For cam timing check just rotate the engine to TDC and make sure the cam is align to the mark correct? Also curious as to why the tire pressure would make a difference and what should it be set to?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

never been to a dyno so this is quite informational. plan on doing it but i dont know where one is??
Old Sep 8, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Not just good gas, but the gas you use on a daliy basis is probably the best idea i.e. if you always use 76 (like you should be) you should dyno and/or tune on 76.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Sep 8, 2005 at 07:46 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

good info. i always assumed you just rolled on, got strapped down and went
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

me too, guess i would have been up **** creek cause i think the nearest dyno is about 5 or 6 hours away
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

al brought up a good point about the tire pressure. think about your car being held stationary while achieving 80mph worth of velocity. an out of balance, low pressure, or compromised tire is definately a safety risk.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
true, it never hurts to change the spark plugs before the trip up...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

here is a checklist i made when shiv came to tune at our shop:

This is a message from Smogrunner and Beavis4G63 (Chris of Tuning Technologies):

1. Fuel: Show up with 91 octane Unocal 76 gas in your tank. Unless you are just getting a 91 octane tune, DON'T FILL YOUR TANK THe WEEK OF THE DYNO DAY. You want to show up on 91, but be almost completely out of gas. Bring a little 2 gallon jug of 91 with you and we can add it if necessary. Otherwise you will have to mix your race fuel with the 91 pisstane for your custom race tune, as there won't be time to drain gas from your fuel return line. Don't even bother bring race fuel with you unless you already have it. TT has 100, 109, 110 and C16 available at very low prices.

2. Oil: Don't show up with old oil in your motor. Also, make sure you are not OVERFILLED. Do not have oil above the higher notch on your dipstick.

3. Cam gear cover: Tuning Technologies always takes the plastic cover off to tap the tachometer signal with their cool new laser rpm reader. Take it off before your turn! You need a 12mm wrench.

4. Tires: Inspect all tires to make sure you don't have a nail in one. Make sure all tires are fully inflated: I'd say 30 to 35 psi in each.

5. BOV: if you have an aftermarket adjustable blow off valve, make sure it is on one of its tightest settings before the tune. There will be no time while it is on the dyno to adjust it. You can always adjust it softer after to tune without messing up your tune, but having it leak during tuning will ruin your custom tuning.

6. Spark plugs: Just make sure they aren't old or worn out. I'd put a fresh set in there if you are in doubt.

7. Air filter: Don't show up with a dirty, clogged up air filter. Pop a new one in there if needed.

9. Coolant: make sure you are properly filled and have no leaks. running your car on the dyno can be tough.

10. Intercooler sprayer: make sure it is properly filled with distilled water.

11. Boost leaks: Do a pressure check. This is an awesome opportunity to have a custom tune. don't skew the results by having any little leaks. remember boost leaks are often vaccum leaks. any leak after the maf is trouble.

12. Floor mats: put your drivers side floor mat in the trunk when you get to the dyno shop. the floor mat can slip and cause the throttle pedal to not reach 100%

13. Stereo: if you have anything from a custom system to the stock make sure it is off before your car goes on the rollers.

14. Wiring: if you have installed any electrical components on your car make sure they are done correctly. Solder not butt splice connectors. shrink wrap not electrical tape.

16. Safety: DO NOT STAND BEHIND A CAR WHILE IT IS ON THE DYNO!!!!! if a car lost a wheel weight or debris you could be seriously injured. feel free watch from the sides or the front. DO NOT GET WITHIN 5 FEET OF THE DYNO ROLLERS. the rollers are spinning 85 to 120mph. if you step on one of them you will get thrown across the shop and will probably die.

17. Fun: have a good time. its nice to enjoy our cars and remember the blood, sweat, and tears we have invested in them.

i deleted some of the items because they are event specific but you get the general idea.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by beavis4g63t
here is a checklist i made when shiv came to tune at our shop:

This is a message from Smogrunner and Beavis4G63 (Chris of Tuning Technologies):

2. Oil: Don't show up with old oil in your motor. Also, make sure you are not OVERFILLED. Do not have oil above the higher notch on your dipstick.

I'm curious as to the over-fill on the oil. Is this to prevent pressure from blowing the oil dip stick?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evozakk
me too, guess i would have been up **** creek cause i think the nearest dyno is about 5 or 6 hours away
No, you wouldn't have had any problem. You really do just show up, strap down, and hit the gas. This is all a bit overboard for your average, everyday Evo. You don't need to do anything except make sure your car is running normally and has the same gas you use on a daily basis...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This makes much sense. Thanks for a job well done...

Flybyevo...