Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust illegal in MA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust illegal in MA?

So I got pulled over the other day by a Massachusetts State cop and he told me that my HKS Hi power is illegal and that any "modified exhaust" is illegal and when I asked him what the "legal" decible was for exhaust he said he didn't know. for all who have the HKS hi-power and for those who don't have you ever heard this before? seems like bull$hit to me.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Its true
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:24 AM

yes very true, any change from stock is "illegal"! cops really don't care much unless u leave a bar at 2:05am. then u have "illegal parts"
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

I got the same thing when I lived in Boston, and when I emailed the court about the law, it stated that any modification to the exhaust AT ALL was illegal. Thats one of thousands of reasons I left Boston Univ. Lol. Boston sucks for driving, thats all.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the legal decibel limit in Mass is 95 from 5 (not sure if that distance is right) feet away from the tailpipe. and secondly, the state never passed the bill banning aftermarket exhaust. it was brought up twice, but never had enough votes. oh and could you have done something to provoke him? or maybe he was having a bad day and you were his target (no thats not right)? i've never had a problem with state or local cops in ma (in fact i was driving all the way up 24 today with a state cop next to me) complaining about my exhaust and i have a buschur competition muffler and gutted cat.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancematic
I got the same thing when I lived in Boston, and when I emailed the court about the law, it stated that any modification to the exhaust AT ALL was illegal. Thats one of thousands of reasons I left Boston Univ. Lol. Boston sucks for driving, thats all.
Before and including the cat is illegal. Anything after the cat is fair game as long as it meets noise regulations and emissions.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Thats not was I was told by the court, wish i still had the email, but is was a little while ago. NE way now im back in Jersey and have no problems, knock on wood.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Lol, you hear my car Dan when we leave work... I don't think I got a problem do I?
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

This is BS!! I can understand tampering with anything before the cat and including the cat but unless the exhaust is just plain loud, I cannot understand why adding a catback is illegal. I suppose the bigass wing and jewelled taillights have nothing to do with it. As stated before, If it were a vette or mustang or anything remotely v8ish, then its all good.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

My ticket was when I was driving my pre-Evo LT1 Camaro with a catback SLP Loudmouth exhaust, guess the cop wasn't a muscle car fan
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nesiop
Lol, you hear my car Dan when we leave work... I don't think I got a problem do I?
Mine is just about as loud. I just don't feel the need to let everyone know. Oh and mine is still faster! lol.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancematic
My ticket was when I was driving my pre-Evo LT1 Camaro with a catback SLP Loudmouth exhaust, guess the cop wasn't a muscle car fan
or maybe you made him spill his coffee on his freshly pressed shirt when you flew by the control tower at mach 1.2.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Lol, you won' dare hit your gas next to me, I guess that means you are smarter so you don't cry. :-P Want my 3037s. Be very nice with the alchy kit.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I think you are just unlucky. I've been pulled over a few times for speeding and have driven by/along cops countless times and have yet to have anyone comment on my exhaust. I have a Helix TBE with straight pipe...and that is pretty freaking loud.

Use common sense and you'll be OK (i.e. don't go WOT in front of a cop).
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
I think you are just unlucky. I've been pulled over a few times for speeding and have driven by/along cops countless times and have yet to have anyone comment on my exhaust. I have a Helix TBE with straight pipe...and that is pretty freaking loud.

Use common sense and you'll be OK (i.e. don't go WOT in front of a cop).
Sometimes the cop just appears from nowhere. I weelied my 05 6r passed a cop going in the other direction but he didnt turn around probably because it was nighttime. He probably saw my light just go up and didnt realize wtf was happening. Anyways, this is just a case of rotten luck. Any cop that tickets for no reason is either having a bad day or was provoked for soem unexplainable reason.

Quick Reply: Exhaust illegal in MA?