Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo III Importing Scam?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Link?
Old Dec 8, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

let us know how its going on im curouis to how this plays out.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

dude the white one looks like from that movie "Who am I" with jackie chan, sweet. Where in FL do you say he's at. I'd like to drive and see him :-)...
Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Probably registered as a Mirage or a VR-4.

I would be careful though. MAKE SURE you see the car in person first before handing over a single cent.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Even if they are legit, evo or not ,11,000 for a 95 mitsu in questionable condition. LOL, no thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:23 AM

Yea he said they have full bolt ons and suspension work. I sent him an email asking how he would take payment, and about the titling and crash ratings. If they are titled as salvage and mirages, is that legal? I mean, even with a salvage title and low miles, 11,000 is not too bad as long as I wouldn't get invovled in legal trouble. I would obviously drive down there an personally inspect the cars before I bought one. If they are legit, I may have to buy both. I will keep everyone updated
Old Dec 8, 2005, 05:43 PM

*UPDATE*

Here is the email I got back with him when i asked him about the titles and VIN, and if he crashed tested a car to get them certified.

" I accept cashiers checks or i accepta deposit and balance upon pickup either way. these cars are titled to me and i do not release title info as it has my personal info on them. no there not crashed or whatever you said as they are taken to the DMV here in florida left for 2 days while there hecked and inspected there released with the paperwork needed to go to the DMV licensing office and they issue the title. hope this helps "
Old Dec 8, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

I smell something fishy...
Old Dec 8, 2005, 06:05 PM
Account Disabled

OK - let me introduce some reality Payment methods aside, as the guy might be totally legit with titles and cars in posession. There is no Evo, other than an Evo VIII or Evo IX brought into the USA from Mitsubishi USA, that is truly legal. Yes the car might have a VIN, but frankly, that's not all that hard to do. The cars is not going to be federalized, and as a result, is not going to be legal. Now, does that mean you cannot buy it, register it, and drive it? Maybe yes, maybe no - each state is different. I know plenty of people with similar grey market cars. Would I want to be in one in the event of a catostrophic car accident? Absolutely not. But, if this were to be a track only vehicle with no street use, it would be worthy of consideration.

So, bottom line, these are NOT legal cars, no matter what anyone claims. Talk to people who actually have similar cars (there are people on this site with Evo VII's for example in the US), and they will tell you exactly the same thing I am.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 06:15 PM

Z1 I have read the same thing you are saying. While this would not be my daily driver, It would be driven on the street. I am not really worried about the crash ratings and such, or the fact that it is a grey market car. My one concern is, can i get it legally registered in NC? If so, and by whatever means, I do not care, as long as I hold 0 Liability and no chance of getting into any legal trouble. If that means registering it as a totaled galant or VR4, and saying it was rebuilt, that is fine by me.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think that it's you you need to worry about in a crash. if you have a car titled wrong, you have basically committed insurance fraud if you insure an evo v as a mirage/vr4 or whatever he has done. the other parties can sue you for all you own and your insurance company can walk away since you insured a fraudulent car...

any insurance adjuster investigating an accident will look at that car and tell it's not what you are saying it is/insured it as....
Old Dec 8, 2005, 06:42 PM
Account Disabled

Crackerballer - then these are not cars you can remotely consider.

VIN swapping/calling it a horse when its a cow, etc. is highly risky and highly illegal.

Registering a car is not all that hard - having a registration that is based in truth on the other hand, is another matter entirely. My recommendation? Buy a GVR4 - yes it's heavier, but it will be a legal project car
Old Dec 8, 2005, 06:50 PM

sandm, good call, hadn't thought of that, and insurance fraud is some pretty deep ISH, from what I have heard. Too much at stake for that.

Z1, that is the exact info I am looking for. I don't really want a galant VR4, or really a JDM car, just wanted to research whether this guy could be legit. I will just save a little more for an Evo VIII (very close right now, could buy this weekend if the right car came along for the right price)
Old Dec 8, 2005, 06:53 PM

*UPDATE*

Here's the email I just got bacl

"josh i am not trying to be an *** to you but i doubt you have the ability to check these vehicles to see if there stolen or wrecked as i have been doing this 2 years and i haft to call to japan to get my contact to do this for me. as there is no record of these vehicles on a data base such as carfax. as far me having potential buyers i already have them you are just another. as far as you coming to look at them before purchasing them i insist that you do. as they will be here around the first of the year. yes i do have shots of the engine bay i will include these with this email. as far as them being legit i would not have posted these vehicle on the forum for sale if they were not legit, i am 32 years old in the military not a 18 year old kid with hopes and dreams and i do not joke or bull**** around when it comes to my money. if you have any further questions concering these cars please feel free to email me."

I am going to respond
Old Dec 8, 2005, 07:05 PM

He also sent pics of the engine bays

Quick Reply: Evo III Importing Scam?