Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What kind of exhaust/intake

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of exhaust/intake

I am looking to stick about 600 into my 05 evo MR which is an every day driver, but I would like to get it a little prepared for AutoX. I would like an exhaust that will add some performance but wont make riding in the car annoying. Maybe exhaust with a silencer or something. I also think the next logical upgrade is intake... Any reccomendations on what to buy?

Don
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Buschur Full 3" TBE is what I got.. but alittle more than $800 I've also got a HFC and magnaflow... Sounds alittle louder than stock..
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

intake is pointless unless you want to hear awesome turbo noises, u also need a tune with cone filters, just get a k&n drop in filter on the stock airbox. for exhaust search and pick one. i have buschur personally and like it. For the price u want to spend, u probably want megan
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Megan tbe or LP1 tbe ( both is 550), and intake go with K&N drop in... cause if u put an aftermarket intake ur gonna need a tune ( if u decide to put an intake without a tune, most likely u will lose hp)
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kevin
Buschur Full 3" TBE is what I got.. but alittle more than $800 I've also got a HFC and magnaflow... Sounds alittle louder than stock..
that's what i have and love it...

do not get the BR muffler... it sounds like gun shot... crazily loud

magna is the way to go with BR TB
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only way to spend $600 and get both of those parts is the Megan TBE from Zeus and a K&N drop-in filter. There's no reason to get an intake, and I don't know why you'd even mention it...that would mean you haven't been around long and haven't done any research I'm guessing.

The Megan will be loud, though, and if you put the silencer in, then it's like not having an exhaust...complete waste and a terrible idea.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:25 AM

Sorry, just got the evo about 2 weeks ago and have just started my research. I hand an eclipse before and intake was a quick upgrade that gave some extra power so that was nice. As far as exhaust, the reason its nice to have a silencer is because it is my every day driver, but I also use it for autoX. So if by taking the silencer out you gain HP that is Ideal for my situation. I am not one of those guys who likes my car to be so loud (exhaust) I can't think.

Don
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Most of us don't like to be loud, but driving around with the silencer in is just plain dumb. It robs you of ALL YOUR POWER. Plus, exhaust is completely unnecessary for autocrossing. Extra horsepower is a very minor aid in autocrossing. $600 spent on R-compounds would drop your times by 2s whereas 20-30whp from an exhaust would drop your times maybe a tenth. Do not waste your time and money on an exhaust if you're going to use the silencer daily. That would be a huge waste...why would you not want that 20-30whp/wtq on a daily basis? I know loudness sucks, but it's not nearly as bad as not having that extra power.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Yea listen to Warrtalon, he knows his ****!!! ^^^^^^
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I know you are new here, but this question has been asked a million times. I am not flaming you in any way, but a simple search would have given you the answer.

First, stay with the STOCK intake. The EVO reacts poorly to an open cone intake w/o a tune of the ECU. Add a K&N filter and that is it.

Second, get an Invidia exhaust. It has a resonator on the mid-pipe and it is one of the quietest 3 inch exhausts out there. Click on my signature for a sound file.

I would also recommend getting a downpipe and a high flow cat. The cost of my mods was as follows:

Invidia Cat-Back exhaust=$389
JIC Down pipe=$259
UR High Flow Cat=$145

The exhaust price was a special promotional price. But you can get the exhaust for around $450
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

My best reccomendations for exhaust would be Works or AVO. Free flowing but with a near stock look and sound.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by c kim
My best reccomendations for exhaust would be Works or AVO. Free flowing but with a near stock look and sound.
For less than $600???
Old Dec 18, 2005, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Intakes WILL gain you power when properly tuned...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...23&postcount=4

If it was me I would go with the Megan TBE, $550 shipped...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...44&postcount=1
Old Dec 18, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by c kim
with only $600 all he could get from Works is the Intermediate pipe, if they gave him free shipping maybe an Intermediate pipe and Cat. Only advantage is their parts are interchangable with stock parts.
http://www.worksevo.com/store/index.php?cPath=21
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:12 AM

I would like to stick with Cat-Back exhaust as well. I think if I go TBE it will bump me up from stock.

Don

Quick Reply: What kind of exhaust/intake