Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ECUTEK tuning for JDM EVO 9

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECUTEK tuning for JDM EVO 9

I am posting this to get your opinion on what you would do in my situation.

I live oversees and have been reading the board for the past year to do research on what kind of mods I would use in my car once it was broken in. It seems that I will not be going all out like I was planning on at first - just a HKS downpipe/de-cat/silent hipower and walbro 255 FP for added safety.

The problem is, currently none of the tuners in my country have experience with the 9 - there will only be 40 sold ever, none modified as of yet.

So, what I was thinking of was to sending the ECU over to the States - sometime in spring when tuners have more experience with EVO 9 (and my wife goes to visit her family) to a reputable tuner like Al or Shiv along with the list of my hardware list and get it tuned for 92 octane, which is the lowest I will ever have to buy. Dou you think it would be wise to do this?

My other option is try to get a local tuner recommendation from one of the (national) rally guys I see at the track. The tuner (most likely) will not have any experience with the EVO 9, but would have tuned other evo & sti's - mainly for racing cars...

The car is my daily ride and I will track it only 10-20 times a year. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Last edited by Bosshog; Dec 19, 2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bosshog

I live oversees and have been reading the board for the past year to do research on what kind of mods I would use in my car once it was broken in. It seems that I will not be going all out like I was planning on at first - just a HKS downpipe/de-cat/silent hipower and walbro 255 FP for added safety.

The problem is, currently none of the tuners in my country have experience with the 9 - there will only be 40 sold ever, none modified as of yet.

So, what I was thinking of was to sending the ECU over to the States - sometime in spring when tuners have more experience with EVO 9 (and my wife goes to visit her family) to a reputable tuner like Al or Shiv along with the list of my hardware list and get it tuned for 92 octane, which is the lowest I will ever have to buy. Dou you think it would be wise to do this?

My other option is try to get a local tuner recommendation from one of the (national) rally guys I see at the track. The tuner (most likely) will not have any experience with the EVO 9, but would have tuned other evo & sti's - mainly for racing cars...

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
based on the mods you want to do, you won't need a walbro. tests have found out that the stock evo9 fp is around 230lph vs 255(walbro). i would also try to use a lil higher octane since they recommend at least 93. a shop in AZ has been tinkering already & made 30whp on 91 octane with Ecutek just tuning the MIVEC by itself. stock boost, stock A/f ratios, no mods at all. they also have 2 EVO9 shop cars.

or if you can find a tuner over there who has tuned evo8's with Ecutek, they should be able to tune a 9

Last edited by housedj; Feb 21, 2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what I was thinking of was to sending the ECU over to the States - What would you do if you were in my shoes?
i dont see why not
you could send it now if you want.

but my choice in mods ,if i was in your situation, would be simple = intake , tbe , mbc , ecutex

a couple others that know how to tune the ecutek for evo 9

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...5&page=1&pp=15

http://www.topspeedsales.com/(xoftft...)/default.aspx
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I live oversees ...

So, what I was thinking of was to sending the ECU over to the States - Dou you think it would be wise to do this?

The car is my daily ride and I will track it only 10-20 times a year. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Hey, I too am overseas. You don't really have a problem. You can easily send over your ecu for a flash (specifically an ecutek flash). Only problem I see is that you shall lose the use of your car for the time the courier takes to carry it away and bring it back to you.

Also, while I live in another Country, I've found some local tuners have surprisingly good knowledge of modern performance cars. Once you start to modify it's kinda tough to stop so you should research a tuner close to you anyways... just in case.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

so do you get your car done locally?

I am sure that the locals here are decent - but it is harder to read about customer experiences etc. so I will have to go on recommendation alone.

With regards to modding - I know it is hard to stop, but from previous experience, I know that I am getting a full exhaust and no filter (not worth it imho) I thought about lower ic pipe, cams & o2 housing before, but I know that I will be happy enough with just a TBE and some good tuning. I want to keep the car dependable and easy to live with as well, so we shall see...

So did you get your evo tuned locally, what kind of evo, was it road tuning or on the dyno and are you happy with the results?

Last edited by Bosshog; Dec 20, 2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

why do you need a mbc with the ecutek tune

I thought that the 9 ECU + Ecutek would have full boost control

As for intake, I could not feel much difference in my previous cars and I like to keep the car as quite as possible. 5hp for the amount of noise & hot air in trafic during summer is not worth the few ponies I will gain in winter when stopping/cornering is more of a problem than going

would appreciate the feedback on MBC on 9+Ecutek

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
i dont see why not
you could send it now if you want.

but my choice in mods ,if i was in your situation, would be simple = intake , tbe , mbc , ecutex

a couple others that know how to tune the ecutek for evo 9

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...5&page=1&pp=15

http://www.topspeedsales.com/(xoftft...)/default.aspx
Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Unless the evo IX was way different ... FORGET ABOUT THE INTAKE, especially if you don't have an experienced tuner close. That was the beginning of my problems untill I went back to stock intake.

Mine is a JDM evo VII. Tuned on the road as we don't have any awd dynos. (sucks!)

Earlier this year I sent my ecu to vishnu in cali but they were unable to write to it. Spoke to them last week and now with their ecutek they can flash my model. However, I've also spoken to another tuner who does the ecutek flash and he is willing to come to my country. Right now I'm putting together the promo so that I can get other evo owners interested. (i'll be posting the details here soon also).
Old Dec 21, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

good luck with your car

if you dont mind, why did you sent your ecu to Vishnu if you were happy with the local tune?

Thanks & Regards, Can