Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Advice for Nevada's traffic law

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for Nevada's traffic law

My wife and my friends went for a trip to Vegas last week from LA. In the Primm area (Freeway 15), 3 cars got pulled over by a cop. My Evo, my friend's Jetta, and another guy's truck got pulled over at the same time by the same cop. That officer surely have a nice payout this month for pulling 3 cars over at the same time for speeding.

My court date is on March 2006 and I would like to fight for the ticket. However, I would need advice from those who are in Nevada and knows a bit about fighting a ticket over there. Does it work the same in Nevada as in California in which if the cop does not show up, and I pleaded not guilty, the favor is given to me?

We admitted we were speeding, but my friends and I are not happy with the way the cop pulled us over (3 cars at the same time). In addition, when the cop finished the paperwork, he gave us back the insurance information along with the ticket, but he lost my driver's license. Luckily, we found my driver's license underneth the passenger seat later that day.

The ticket is $300. We were going 90 MPH. He said we were going 98, but on the ticket, he wrote 85 MPH. He explained if he wrote 98 MPH, the ticket will be $500 or more, but he gave us a break for 85 MPH. Sounds nice, but he pulled over 3 cars at the same time. My friend got a ticket for doing 80MPH for an amount of around $200. Not sure about the guy with the truck as we do not know him.

My question is what advice would those of you from Nevada give me? Again, not familiar with Nevada's traffic law and I would like to fight for it even though I was speeding in the first place.

The worse part is that it was my birthday -_- (Sure, it does not make a different in court)

If I fight for it, what is my arguing point?

Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Not from Nevada but you have no arguing point. Cops can track multiple cars with radar and visually estimate speed with precision unknown to normal humans. If your record is clean, get copy from your DMV, bring it and plead that you are a great and law abiding driver and that you were not accustomed to driving on those roads. Be convincing, it may or may not work. And you really should ask them to dismiss the ticket if he doesnt show because if they dont show for a summons, thats grounds for dismissal. Good Luck! and drive slower. Did he radar you or laser you?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Waste of fuel ticket. If you were saftly traveling at that speed, without tailgating or driving erratically and not endangering anyone else, you could plea it to a waste of fuel ticket. Which is a non moving violation. Pretty cool, huh?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nutrulz
Waste of fuel ticket. If you were saftly traveling at that speed, without tailgating or driving erratically and not endangering anyone else, you could plea it to a waste of fuel ticket. Which is a non moving violation. Pretty cool, huh?
your kidding right? if not, explain, lol
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

anyone else curious how he got three people to pull over at the same time? i thought i had it figured out till he mentioned he didn't know the driver of the truck. or was this one of those walk out in front of traffic and point stings? (i want to run those guys over just for standing on the highway)
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Cops pull groups over all the time. I've personally seen it happen in several states. If you admit you were speeding and the cop wrote you a speeding ticket citing you for a lower speed than you say you were going, then I don't see what the problem is. Get a lawyer. Always get a lawyer. He can almost definately get it reduced to a non moving violation.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gotevo?
your kidding right? if not, explain, lol
This stem's from a wierd old law. Since NV is such a wasteland of space, there used to be no speed limit in may parts. When federal laws mandated tickets for speeding above 55mph this was the counter attack by law makers to keep the idea of no speed limits in a 55mph madated country. The fine was like $50.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Wow some useful information in this thread.

I would do one of the things they listed in the other posts, because i dont think you will get away with trying to fight this one. There was really nothing the cop did wrong and the only way you would get it dissmissed is if he didn't show.

Just another idea i heard that if you send in a check for more than the amount of the ticket, they will send you back a check from the state with the amount you over paid and not file the ticket until you cash the check. For legal reasons im guessing. But i really have no idea if this works, if yo utest it let me know.

Now i CAN tell you where you made your mistake... I HAVE investigated this heavily, and have actually done it. You are not required by law to pull over unless the officer is actually behind your vehicle (insert specific distance here, i dont remember) with his lights on. This is true, and i have gone around a motorcycle cop standing in the road waving me over; he didnt do anything because he had multiple other cars on the side of the road and was 50 yards away from his motorcycle, and i took the next turn into a friends apartment complex where nothing had happened when i returned to my car. I also drove past 2 squad cars that i could see on a side road with the laser in hand that tried to wave me over; i parked in my schools nearby parking lot, went to school, and when i came back there was nothing... Though you could still get pulled over down the road and get cited you for the same violation, hopefully by then your gone... Also officers know this law, and from my experience it seems they dont even do anything once you pass them.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies as I am returning home just now.

Originally Posted by nutrulz
What do you mean by this? I was not doing either of above.

I will make a trip to Vegas again on the court date and see what I can do.

What if the cop showed up on that day and I still plead not guilty? Am I going to be arranged for another day?

Again, thank you for all the replies.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bd307
Thanks for the replies as I am returning home just now.

What do you mean by this? I was not doing either of above.

I will make a trip to Vegas again on the court date and see what I can do.

What if the cop showed up on that day and I still plead not guilty? Am I going to be arranged for another day?

Again, thank you for all the replies.
my advice, don't waste your time. All us evo guys take our tickets to one guy here in vegas. Craig P. Kenny. he takes the ticket for free and calls you in like a few months to tell you the fine to pay. 99% of the time it's reduced to a parking ticket w/ a 65$ fine
Old Jan 12, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

wow i wish we had a guy over here in florida to reduce my fine. i just paid a 305 ticket. with 4 ponits on my lic.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

just pray he doesn't show up. if you plead not guilty, you win by default.