Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question about sales tax

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about sales tax

So a few weeks ago I bought a used 2004 rs from a private party seller. When I went to the DMV to get my temp. registration, I paid a few misc. taxes. What caught my eye was that the state sales tax only amounted to around 100 bucks. I paid 20,000 for the car, and at Utahs sales tax of 6.67%, I should have had to pay close to $1,200. I went back to get my car registered and didn't have to pay a dime. My question is am I going to get something in the mail about paying the sales tax? Did the DMV mess up on how much I was supposed to pay?

Thanks,

John
Old Feb 5, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Bump, anyone know anything about this?
Old Feb 5, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Some states have a set tax no matter what the price. South Carolina is $300 no matter what the car is. Georgia on the other hand charges by the county that you live in sales tax. So you may just have to pay the $100. If the 100 said that it was tax, then you shouldn't get charged later.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Look up the tax laws for your state, should be easy to find.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brembo350z
So a few weeks ago I bought a used 2004 rs from a private party seller. When I went to the DMV to get my temp. registration, I paid a few misc. taxes. What caught my eye was that the state sales tax only amounted to around 100 bucks. I paid 20,000 for the car, and at Utahs sales tax of 6.67%, I should have had to pay close to $1,200. I went back to get my car registered and didn't have to pay a dime. My question is am I going to get something in the mail about paying the sales tax? Did the DMV mess up on how much I was supposed to pay?

Thanks,

John
sounds like a good deal to me i thought you had to pay the takes on how much you bought it for so i guess you will see what happens....
Old Feb 5, 2006, 07:45 PM

i would say to ask someone from a local car dealership, they should know what the taxes should be, and if they are wrong they might know if they would be able to charge you the rest later, dealing with the DMV could take a long time and they also might try to charge you more if you bring the issue up to them they might have made a mistake that could be good for you
Old Feb 5, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silverofs
sounds like a good deal to me i thought you had to pay the takes on how much you bought it for so i guess you will see what happens....
Yeah same with me! I honestly think the DMV messed up on the state sales tax.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

SO if I buy a used Evo from the Dealer do I have to pay a sales tax here in CALI?
Old Feb 6, 2006, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

^Yes
Old Feb 6, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

maybe they read it as 2000 not 20000???
Old Feb 6, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Here in AZ you don't pay sales tax on a vehicle purchase from a private party, but you do if you buy from a dealership. Another thing here in AZ with all the snowbirds we have, if you have an out of state lisc. you don't pay sales tax for AZ, but you do get a 45 day drive out tag and when you register the vehicle in your state of residence, you pay your local sales tax then.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brembo350z

Thanks,

John
Private sales are exempt from sales taxes at in least Georgia . That's one of the advantges of buying from a private party.... In other states it might vary. The other fees and taxes you pay are not sales taxes but property taxes like you pay on your house, belongings, etc (back in the old days in NC they made you register even your dogs and pay taxes on them).