Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM 4G63 vs. Evo 4G63

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2006, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GPTourer
But you are saying this guy did 700whp on a stock 7-bolt bottom?
If they were talking about Shane from Elite in MN it wasn't a stock bottom end. It was a 2.4 4G64 block with forged internals but an OEM 7 bolt crank. Still awsome though!

A built DSM 4G63 has all the power potential of an Evo 4G63. But Evo's are better from the factory (numerous lighter and stronger parts).
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its not the 7bolt crank thats weak, its the 2nd gen rods that are much thinner than the older 6bolt ones.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1st Gen 6 bolt (90-92): used 360 degree thrust bearing (hence no crankwalk) 7.8:1 compression and had stronger rods (I believe there just cast iron, I don't think anything in the DSM blocks are forged)

7 bolt (93-99): 180 degree thrust bearing (hence the crankwalk, although its not proven this is the reason for crankwalk, just a theory) 8.5:1 compression. This version had weaker connecting rods (compared to the 6 bolt) but had stronger pistons.

7 bolt EVO (2003-2006+): 360 degree thrust bearing (hence the low occurence of crankwalk, again just a popular theory). Compression is raised to an astounding 8.8:1 (pretty high for a turbo car if you ask me) and EVERYTHING IS BACKWARDS. Timing belt is now on the left side of the engine, transmission+flywheel is on the rightside (facing the front of the car looking into the engine bay) however the exaust is still in the front and the intake is in the rear (near the firewall). Camshafts are now hollow to cut down on rotational mass, but this not really apart of the block. The crank is forged, however I believe the rods and pistons are still cast iron.

I really wish I could mount a 6 bolt engine into an EVO, I can get 6 bolt blocks from my junkyard for $100.00 a piece (I have rebuilt many). Instead I have to use these overpriced and hard to find backwards EVO blocks. ARGH!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tony_b
Coming from a modded 2G DSM to my Evo, I'd like to add something.
On my DSM, (GST btw=FWD) I had mods that pretty much equaled what an EVO comes with stock:
EVOIII 16g (boost at 21psi), 550 cc injectors, FMIC, walbro 190lph fuel pump and some other misc stuff. The only major difference really would be the addition of a 3" catback.
Now, from a roll, my GST felt WAY faster. From a stop is another story because the GST severly lacked traction.
I don't know if the GST was just tuned better or what. I know that Evo's come stock running pig rich so that might be why.
I never dyno'd the eclipse so I don't have any numbers to back up my claims but seat of the pants, I think my eclipse was faster from a roll...
I guess I'll just have to get an exhaust on the Evo and see how much difference that makes. I'm assuming it's going to be significant because it was on my other car.
AWD... Going to lose more power than you would with a FWD car. dont forget that. and i remember my neon was a Fing rocket on the highway and it was putting out way more than car could handle. Breaking loose @ 70 does things to you it was like sex
But the EVO is the love of my life. I cant wait till all the parts are in

What does the EVO make for Compression anyways?
I always though that it was 8:1

Last edited by Spooldyou; Feb 19, 2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

my 90gsx felt bulletproof even though it was stock, but it took 240k miles before the tranny died on a 2-3shift. even then i was driving with only 1,2,5,and R. motor still pulled hard after that may miles and i could still see triple digits with 3 gears (although it would take quite a while)
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

I believe this should be brought back from the dead for more discussion. How come all the DSM guys say their car is never running or always breaking where as the evo's you don't hear that so much? I have an evo 8 that has been running 400hp since 06 and still running without any failure.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
arent the head ports different then each other?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by luvboost
I believe this should be brought back from the dead for more discussion. How come all the DSM guys say their car is never running or always breaking where as the evo's you don't hear that so much? I have an evo 8 that has been running 400hp since 06 and still running without any failure.
98% of DSM'ers are young and cheep.

98& of evo owners are a bit older and have jobs.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
98% of DSM'ers are young and cheep.

98& of evo owners are a bit older and have jobs.
Can't say that these days. The recession has made the used car market a treasure trove for people looking to get into a Evo cheap. There are alot of people who can't afford to fix it or do mods "right" the first time and end applying (and I hate this term) Honda hatchet jobs to it.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts

The Chrysler Mitsubishi nuptials did not result in a marriage made in heaven. This discussion concerns the first generation AWD turbo DSMs assembled in Normal, Illinois.

The first problem with the car was the transmission. The transmissions were made in Japan (as well as most of the other parts) and I was told they used a paper coating on the transmission synchronizers. This worked well in Japan but when the transmissions were shipped dry to Illinois, the paper dried out, resulting in transmissions that would grind into most gears. This was a universal problem. All sorts of transmission cocktails were devised in a search of a cure.

The brakes were too small. What I mean by too small is that the driver could not lock the brakes in a panic stop. This was on not very sticky 55 series 16 inch tires of the time, not the amazing OEM tires that came on the Evo. This was corrected on later cars but I am not sure when.

The battery was placed in a hot location under the hood and the battery cooked. Battery life was 1 year. The red top batteries were very popular with DSM owners.

The rear axles on 90 -92 cars were too small and would twist off. This was corrected in mid year 1992.

The engineers designed motor mounts that were too soft and the motor moved a lot when torgue was put down. This allowed the transfer case output shaft to ram into the driveshaft front universal joint, forcing oil through the pressed in cup (like a freeze plug) until eventually the transfer case ran dry and locked. There was a nationwide recall for this problem.

Whatever the brake rotors were made of they really liked to rust. Once they rusted they were difficult or impossible to remove. The way some people resorted to removing the rotors was to go at them with a hammer and chisel, cutting them into pie shaped pieces. As you might imagine, this could be a huge job.

After the appearance of the seven bolt engines in the middle of 1992 crank walk reared it ugly head. People would say, “My clutch pedal feels funny when I turn left.” - Crank walk.

Owners still have problems with Evo lifters but it was worse back then. You needed a new set at about 65K. The knock sensor on these early cars heard everything and would pull all the timing to the point where the car could barely move.

The front seat belts, even though you heard a click when the belt was inserted into the latch, couldn't be trusted. More often than not, if you gave the seat belt a yank, it would come out after being fastened. When you put on the belt you had to test it every time.

It was a common occurrence for one of the balance shaft bearings to end up in the pan. This is why, to this day, that built and rebuilt engines are usually put together without balance shafts.

Did I mention the recall for bad timing belts?

With all these faults, these early DSMs were great cars when kept in good condition. The AWD turbo setup was the exact recipe the performance market needed. Keeping one in good condition meant working on it a lot. A generation of mechanics were created. I was one of those people. Now, with my Evo, I rarely put a wrench to it. I miss those old days.

Last edited by barneyb; Apr 28, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's no mystery. It's because they are now over 20 years old, can be picked up for less then a grand, and go very fast. Your usual DSM purchaser is not the type of person that will do maintenance and properly care for their car.

I've had my 1g since 2003 and it is an extremely reliable car. If you take the time to build it right, DSM's will love you for a long time in return. Wait until the EVO's 8's and 9's have been modified, romped on, and sold off (for cheaper and cheaper each time) for 20 years. They will end up just like the DSM's of the 90's.

Really this discussion was about the differences between the 4G63 motors, at least I thought. But since we are talking about DSM's, here is mine:

Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
You know whats funny about 7-bolts and crank walk, call up Lucas or Aaron at English Racing and they'll tell you they've seen more crankwalked 6-bolts than 7-bolts.

Also, IIRC, the record for HP/L on a stock short block is still held by a 6-bolt. Something around 750hp on a dyno (of course the block didnt survive long).
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
You know whats funny about 7-bolts and crank walk, call up Lucas or Aaron at English Racing and they'll tell you they've seen more crankwalked 6-bolts than 7-bolts.
That's because the seven bolts all crank walked years ago.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J

Also, IIRC, the record for HP/L on a stock short block is still held by a 6-bolt. Something around 750hp on a dyno (of course the block didnt survive long).
All motors can crank walk. I know of a bunch of them that " supposedly crankwalked had to do a lot with people were retards and don't do things right and the flywheel and clutch were not installed correctly causing the crank eat at the sides, along with the improper tq specs on the main caps. Majority of the "supposed" crank walks are problems with cluch not being installed correctly. Crankwalk was a product of the early 2g using a different 2 piece bearing and the motor not being properly oiled due to ****ty design.

Originally Posted by barneyb
That's because the seven bolts all crank walked years ago.
Only ones that really had a problem were the 95 and early 96 before the new design of the 1 piece bearing that we use in the evo.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Can't say that these days. The recession has made the used car market a treasure trove for people looking to get into a Evo cheap. There are alot of people who can't afford to fix it or do mods "right" the first time and end applying (and I hate this term) Honda hatchet jobs to it.
sad but true.. becoming the new dsm (no offense). i had hoped our cars would hold a little more like the supra, and usually the 9's do dpeending on their build, but not the earlier 8s.. oh well, the number of ct9a evos is only gonna get smaller

Quick Reply: DSM 4G63 vs. Evo 4G63