Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM 4G63 vs. Evo 4G63

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSM 4G63 vs. Evo 4G63

My question is what are the major differences if there are any between the engines, Any specs that have been increased or decreased from the dsm to the evo. TIA
Old Feb 19, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

higher compression pistons
addition of crank angle sensor
7 bolt crank
hollow cam shafts
Old Feb 19, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

so if thats the case they are actually both capable of the same power with the same mods, i mean if you basically built he motor and increase with the same turbo on both they would be pretty identical power outputs, am i correct in assuming this?
Old Feb 19, 2006, 01:48 PM

Yep,they'r both 4g63's,same potential
Old Feb 19, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

The older 4g63 "DSM" (Diamond Star Motors is a Chrysler affiliation FYI, the Evo does not suffer from this handicap) I believe the DSM 4g63 use cast pistons and rods and the 2nd gen use 7 bolt forged cranks. The 1g DSM's use forged rods, cast pistons and the generally regarded "much stronger" 6 bolt crank.

The Evo's 7 bolt crank is a world different from both.

I have several friends with DSM's, basically everyone we've pushed past 380 whp has given up the ghost. Now, thats not STONE and my facts need work, but NO, they are not capable of the same power or durability.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry but thats not true...

There are plenty of people running very powerful cars on stock DSM motors. Shane from Elite motorsports was using a 7-bolt DSM crank (Yes the worse version) and made over 700 and the motor didnt go.

There are also a handful of DSMers making over 600 on the stock block. Remember these motors are not brand new and many of them have over 100k on them.

And I have had plenty of DSMs and have a few friends that have them. They will easily take over 400 if treated properly. When they get built they can take over a thousand (Just like ours).
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Exactly what TrinaBabe said. DSM's are 7-17 years old. Most of the motors are tired compared to the Evo's. The Evo head flows more than the DSM head and also has some small changes. One that wasn't mentioned yet is the Evo has ligheter rocker arms than DSM rockers.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

these are all very good points, how about with the mivec head? is it safe to say that its a slightley different motor now or will people just argue that its just the head.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf
higher compression pistons
addition of crank angle sensor
7 bolt crank
hollow cam shafts

Second gen dsms have seven bolt cranks.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe

There are plenty of people running very powerful cars on stock DSM motors. Shane from Elite motorsports was using a 7-bolt DSM crank (Yes the worse version) and made over 700 and the motor didnt go.

There are also a handful of DSMers making over 600 on the stock block. Remember these motors are not brand new and many of them have over 100k on them.

And I have had plenty of DSMs and have a few friends that have them. They will easily take over 400 if treated properly. When they get built they can take over a thousand (Just like ours).
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aikido
these are all very good points, how about with the mivec head? is it safe to say that its a slightley different motor now or will people just argue that its just the head.

I believe it's just the hydraulic cam gear on the intake side.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Coming from a modded 2G DSM to my Evo, I'd like to add something.
On my DSM, (GST btw=FWD) I had mods that pretty much equaled what an EVO comes with stock:
EVOIII 16g (boost at 21psi), 550 cc injectors, FMIC, walbro 190lph fuel pump and some other misc stuff. The only major difference really would be the addition of a 3" catback.
Now, from a roll, my GST felt WAY faster. From a stop is another story because the GST severly lacked traction.
I don't know if the GST was just tuned better or what. I know that Evo's come stock running pig rich so that might be why.
I never dyno'd the eclipse so I don't have any numbers to back up my claims but seat of the pants, I think my eclipse was faster from a roll...
I guess I'll just have to get an exhaust on the Evo and see how much difference that makes. I'm assuming it's going to be significant because it was on my other car.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by feldguy
The Evo's 7 bolt crank is a world different from both.

I have several friends with DSM's, basically everyone we've pushed past 380 whp has given up the ghost.

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe

Exactly, but damn what's that guy's secret? I was going to say 400whp on the stock bottom ends were common for both and that a few people have pushed 500whp on each, though the consensus is that the older 6-bolt is stronger, particularly the rods and the lack of CW. But you are saying this guy did 700whp on a stock 7-bolt bottom?

I will agree that the Evo 7-bolt is different, but if people figure out how to properly build 2G 7-bolts without CW that it may be a moot point.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 04:26 PM

internet made crankwalk such a big deal. Out of the many dsm friends i know, just one had signs of CW. Most dsm motor go because of spinning rod bearings. DSMs break because they have weaker/older drivetrain parts than the evo. That's the only difference i see.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tony_b
Coming from a modded 2G DSM to my Evo, I'd like to add something.
On my DSM, (GST btw=FWD) I had mods that pretty much equaled what an EVO comes with stock:
EVOIII 16g (boost at 21psi), 550 cc injectors, FMIC, walbro 190lph fuel pump and some other misc stuff. The only major difference really would be the addition of a 3" catback.
Now, from a roll, my GST felt WAY faster. From a stop is another story because the GST severly lacked traction.
I don't know if the GST was just tuned better or what. I know that Evo's come stock running pig rich so that might be why.
I never dyno'd the eclipse so I don't have any numbers to back up my claims but seat of the pants, I think my eclipse was faster from a roll...
I guess I'll just have to get an exhaust on the Evo and see how much difference that makes. I'm assuming it's going to be significant because it was on my other car.
Well considering your 2 cars had the same mods, but the EVO is heavier by 500+ lbs, what do you expect to be faster

Quick Reply: DSM 4G63 vs. Evo 4G63