Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Help ASAP, Manifold!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help ASAP, Manifold!

Put on the DC sports manifold today. Good news, Looks great. Bad news, in the process I completly sheered off the two front bolts from the turbo that holds the manifold there. The male ends are still sticking up from the turbo. I removed the back two and they were actual bolts into the turbo. The front two that sheered off were male ends into the turbo with a nut and washer holding the manifold on. Could this be right? Bolts on one side and nuts and washers on the other? Anyway, to the question...are there any suggestions on how to get the rest of the male end out of the turbo so I can replace them with actual bolts like are on the back? Any help by tomorrow 3/20 would help a bunch. Weighing my options now and I hope I can do it myself. If not, off to a shop I go. Thanks for any input.

Jon
Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

can you get some vice grips on there? If so, get some liquid wrench or something similar, spray the hell out of it, let it sit, and try to twist them out with the vice grips.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:02 PM

so they threded in to the turbo is that right? sounds like you may needt to get a torch and heat it so you can get a pair of locking pliers on it to turn it out.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys, keep them coming. Vice grips might be a definite option!
Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With your description it is hard to visualize what is actually going on. If the bolt is broken flush into the turbo you will need to drill it out, or use a reverse threaded drill bit to reverse it out. If you destroy the factory threads that run through the turbo you can just retap them using a tap & die kit. If there is a piece of the bolt still sticking out, use two nuts threaded on to whats left of the broken bolt, tighten the two together, and use a wrench on the inner nut (the one that is threaded on the furthest) to back the broken bolt out. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I did mine I had to let the car cool down. After it was cool down I applied WD-40 and I soaked the bolts constistently until I thought it was enough.

It looks like your option now is to get some real big vicegrips and grab the bolt strongly and turn it. This is a pic of my own header, could you tell me or indicate me where exactly?, ie(front left, rear right, etc)

Thanks!!

Good luck.

Carlos
Attached Thumbnails Need Help ASAP, Manifold!-img_0183.jpg  

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Mar 19, 2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

A) Your screwed. B) There is hope, but you will pay.

So much for an hour or so job, eh. You have my sympathy as the same thing happened to me. I drilled and drilled those diamond hard *****es out. Toasted the threads and replaced the studs with bolts. It took about $80 in drill bits, a cheapy Black and Decker dremel like tool with 2, $20 each grinding bits and about a days work. Have you considered a 10.5 hotside? A turbo upgrade maybe? Now would be a good time.

If you have the money, take it to a shop. Save yourself the grief.

If you want\need to do it yourself, call me.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

wrx to evo: When i say front i mean the bolts on the bottom of the picture. The ones farthest from the engine. Both of these sheared off. However, i do have enough to try either vice grips or sonicnofadz method. I just wanted some opinions and wondered if i was the only one that had any problems. Seemed like it should have been easy...but it turned into a completely different beast! Thanks again everyone. I will check again in the morning and hopefully will post how i did in the afternoon when everything is done. THanks again to everyone.

Jon
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:05 PM

i took some studs out of the turbo last week...its definetly not fun, but the info you got already is the way to go...heat it up with a torch, try and turn them with the vise grips, or if you have enough room to get 2 nuts on threading, double nut it and try it that way...personally, vise grips worked better for me...